Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Joys of JURY DUTY!

Here in California they used voter registration lists and Dept of Motor Vehicle info to put together the big pool of perspective Jurors. It has improved so you call in an automated system after 5pm and enter your # to find out if you need to go in the next day to the court house to begin with. If you go a whole day with out being selected you can go and not be called for a year.

I have to go in tomorrow but in spite of knowing the need for jurors, I am reluctant at best.

Wish me luck.;)

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
I did it, and I'd do it again without question. I can understand if you had an important job or something, but it's just being a little bored for a couple of hours a day. Bring some reading material.

Not to mention when I went to court, I was mistaken for a lawyer several times, and a security guard even accused me of being in cahoots with Dutch Schultz. That just about made my day!

Feraud

Bartender
I had a great jury duty experience my last time around. The case did not go as we hoped but my fellow jurors were a true selection of great New Yorkers and I saw how well the jury selection process can work.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think clergy can claim exemption. And even if they make me serve, I'd probably be dismissed by one side or the other during selection challenge. Either too nice, or too judgemental, or just plain mental.

dean

It's the same setup here in Indiana. I've appeared for jury selection several times over the years. Was never picked as a juror untill the last time. Wouldn't you know it...a murder trial! I think it was the most interesting..but torturous arrangement that I've ever set through. Many of the jurors couldn't sleep...and had nightmares(me included). Lasted two weeks. It took everything out of us to make the right decision. We all walked out of the juryroom completely exhausted mentally and physically. Guilty.
I've received a couple of questionaire letters since..before an official letter to appear. I wrote on them about my "murder trial" experience...and that I would rather not go through that again. With that,gratefully,I have not received another.
HD

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I was towards the back of the line and was never interviewed....for a RAPE/INCEST CASE! :eek: Thank god.

"I'm pro-death penalty."

"This is not a capital case."

"That's what's wrong with this country." :D

-Viola

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would have said something like "I find it hard to believe a 10 year old girl would accuse her father of raping her unless he actually did" and woulda gotten off the hook just like that.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I sat through and was only dismissed on the 3rd day of panel.....

for a 3 defendant , double murder, carjacking, kidnapping, weapons charges, parole violation..........case...

Oddly enough....I kinda would have liked to have made it to the end of it....

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I was called for jury duty the second I turned 18. Luckily I was in college so they let me off the hook. I watch too many Law & Order shows but I don't think I'd like to hear about the real thing.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I've never even made it to the interview; rejected on the merits of my bio. I've been told by those in the know that lawyers don't want educated people on jury. [huh]

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
I've never even made it to the interview; rejected on the merits of my bio. I've been told by those in the know that lawyers don't want educated people on jury. [huh]
A juror's education is usually only flagged for law school attendance as trial
lawyers do not want professional critique beyond the bench.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Harp said:
A juror's education is usually only flagged for law school attendance as trial
lawyers do not want professional critique beyond the bench.
I do have a law degree, though I've never been admitted to the bar. I recall one of my uncles, who was a judge, telling his brother, who was a scientist, that he had a snowball's chance of making a jury. [huh]

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
:eek:fftopic: One of my grandfathers was so afraid of being called for jury duty, he didn't register to vote until his seventies...

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
HoosierDaddy said:
Well,fortunately...they have all us dummies to pick from.:p
HD
Actually, there's no correlation between education and common sense. ;)

Mister_Ed

New in Town
For some reason I seem to be the Go-To Guy for juries. I've served on murder and DUI trials when I lived in SC and 2 armed robbery cases here in ATL. I had jury duty again a few weeks ago and felt insulted when they didn't select me for the jury I was interviewed for. lol

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I got put on the 'long running case'....due to the simple fact that they sort the prospective jurors based on how much paid jury leave each gets.

My company pays unlimited days for service....so when we get called...we get put in the 'put these folks on the 3 month long murder trials' pile...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran