Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Legend of Korra

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Anyone checked this show out yet? I watched the first three episodes, and I have to say it's fantastic. I was a huge fan of the original Avatar: The Last Airbender, and this is an exceptional sequel. The reason I thought the show might appeal to the FL is that it has a very strong Jazz age/roaring 20's/dieselpunk influence and setting that is pretty cool.

The first three episodes are available here:
http://www.ytv.com/shows/128/legend-of-korra-the/

Check it out and let me know what you guys think!

Connoisseur_BP

Familiar Face
Fantastic spin-off to the original series if I do say so myself. I just watched the season finale last night and it was just exceptional! I love the 20's steam punk type vibe the creators put into the show.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I just saw episode 4 online, and dang this show keeps getting better every time I see it! I can't wait to see the rest of the season. It's so great that a North American animation studio is putting out something of such style, intelligence and quality for a change.

Love it! Keep posting your impressions, Loungers.

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
Save for the finale, which I watched on television, I watched all the episodes online, and thoroughly enjoyed each and every one. I'd heard about it when it was first announced, and didn't give it a second thought until a few weeks ago. I'm not a big fan of cartoons, most of them just aren't "intellectually stimulating" enough for my tastes, but I enjoyed the original series, and this one too. It's certainly worlds better than most of Nickelodeon's drivel. I couldn't agree with you more, Gin&Tonics.

By the way, the whole season is available in the U.S. here: http://www.nick.com/videos/legend-of-korra-videos

Last edited:

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Sad thing for me is that I live in Canada and Nickelodeon refuses to let me see the show on their site. Bastards.

Fortunately it's available elsewhere online....muahaha.

pineapplefruitcake

One of the Regulars
I watched the whole thing online since it isn't on TV where I live (I was in Australia for the first 7 episodes and in the UK for the others) and I absolutely loved it. The first series of Avatar is by far and away my favourite tv series of all time and I was worried it wouldn't live up to the that but I still really enjoyed it and I'm really looking forward to the next season :)

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Okay, so here's a question; what is the aesthetic vibe for this show? Leaving aside the obvious Chinese influence, are we talking 1920's? 1930's? Steampunk? Dieselpunk? Or some amalgamation of all of the above?

To me, I felt like it was very roaring 20's with a bit of Steampunk thrown in. The jazzy musical score and the involvement of the police force battling organized crime along with the revolutionaries seemed to feel very 20's. Even the "setomobiles" had a Chinese 1920's feel to them.

Some of the clothing, on the other hand, felt more Steampunk/Victorian to me. There are a lot of frock-coat-esque garments in evidence along with high-stand collars of the sort that were de-rigeur in the Victorian era.

All I can say for sure is I love it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo