Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Legendary DURABLE (Wild One) Jacket

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I did a search on the Brando jacket, it is anything but settled on who made his jacket! Seems, most agree that not one jacket yet found matches his exactly. There are some that speculate, it could be a transitional jacket, bridging Durable and the Perfecto. Who knows? One thing for sure, if ever some one finds an exact match, they will be wearing gold!

Mysteryo

One Too Many
I wont re-open this debate. It's been done for years now, by american and japanese fans. For me (and not only me), it's more than obvious that Schott didin't make this jacket, given all the clues and comparison details collected, and I strongly and sincerely believe it was a Durable (which at that time produced their own take on perfecto jacket, like many manufacturers, but what a jacket!!).
I own both a Schott's and Durable's jacket from the era, and they are both great, but my favorite is the Durable.
the-wilde-ones-k.jpg

Well, he is one of the actual authors of "Spirou et Fantasio"! It's why I made the allusion to Spirou in the first place. [emoji6]

Wow! Wow!! 0_0; Yoann Chivard! Super, turbo impressed here! I had no idea how in the world is Spirou wearing Buco all of the sudden but this... explains it! Though I'm still floored here. You're maker of worlds, Mysterio! Ain't nothing in this life quite like it. You have my endless respect.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
It is a shame, that a great utilitarian motorcycle jacket, is now just a fashion peace. The RUBS were bad enough, but now it's all about collecting and one upping fashion. Reminds me why I sold my JC Penny's version over 20 years ago!

C'est la vie. I don't ride in it for that reason no more. Sick and tired seeing it on so many sub-cultures, of which a single one doesn't know how to start a motorcycle. Nor replace a flat on a bicycle. But the Perfecto will one day find its true self.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Looks like I have to eat my words about hatting black motorcycle jackets! A friend, sent this video, with a great version of Richard Thompson's song, 1952 Vincent Black Lightning. What does this have to do with this thread? In it he says, "red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme!" Who am I to argue?
c73dde31eb2f03fb6d336ec85072360b_zps3evp9pco.jpg

...and blonde, and blue, and black, and pink, and yellow, and white, and purple...

Heck, no hair and black leather works equally wonderful, perhaps even moreso.

2.jpg

This is Schott, by the way.

xmr

One of the Regulars
Bill Kelso is now proposing his own version of the legendary Durable Jacket:
http://www.billkelsomfg.com/store/en.php?p=productview&prod=37

It seems correct on almost every details, and the cut looks great! Problem is it's just a tad expensive: 1250£!!!

Well, but you'll get the absolute best one and only most amazing period correct supercalifragilisticexpialigetic leather that exists worldwide (until they offer a better leather of course...)

Cute. Sleeve zipper tape is much more exposed in the movie but cute otherwise. What's not cute is the price. And who made it. That's not cute at all.

Thanks for sharing, Mysteryo! I wouldn't have seen it otherwise as I don't go to BK site.

There is another maker in Japan, producing a very good repro in shinky HH: fourspeedleathers
But it's even more expensive...
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/fourspeed_leather/MYBLOG/yblog.html?m=lc&sk=0&sv=rockster&p=5

Still preferable to BK. They're making a great repro of the Sears D-pocket, it seems. Cool!!

This just blew my mind, i had no idea! I was an avid reader as a kid. Merci beaucoup!

I fell off the chair too when I realized. How many of us can say we have our own Wikipedia page? :D

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I like the fact that they're offering it unlined as that was how the jacket was in the movie... Okay, I gotta hand it to them, it's a very good repro. Been comparing it to the movie jacket yesterday and it is perfect in near every detail. I almost wish I had $2000 to spare but then again, I wouldn't want to end up on someone's Facebook page being made fun of.

Mysteryo, you thinking about it? This is a good thing. I don't think another something like this is gonna pop up any time soon. I know you already have Durable but this is pretty damn sweet. I would get it. Fourspeed messed up hardware.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
How is the horsehide on this compaired to some others like Aero, Lost Worlds, Schott etc. ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum