Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Library

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mojave Jack said:
Nice room, Scot! I have a funky old 1950s fireplace that I deperately want to tear out and put in something along the lines you have there. My father did something similar in his living room, too. You built those bookshelves yourself?

What library would be complete without that?! It would also serve to hide the entrance to the Skull Cave, of course.

That goes without saying. :D

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Partially

Mojave Jack said:
Nice room, Scot! I have a funky old 1950s fireplace that I deperately want to tear out and put in something along the lines you have there. My father did something similar in his living room, too. You built those bookshelves yourself?

Thanks! The glass door cases below are original to the house, but they had these open places above. In a Craftsman house like this, there should be windows flanking the chimney. It's like they just omitted them. So I built the bookshelves above. Matched all the mouldings and finish. Looks pretty good, IIDSSM.

carebear

scotrace said:
Thanks! The glass door cases below are original to the house, but they had these open places above. In a Craftsman house like this, there should be windows flanking the chimney. It's like they just omitted them. So I built the bookshelves above. Matched all the mouldings and finish. Looks pretty good, IIDSSM.

You say so correctly, IMHO. It looks like they were there from day one.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Being a librarian, I suppose I have a somewhat grandiose idea of what my ideal library would be. These are from George Lucas' Skywalker Ranch. I think it's just amazing!

Library-small.jpg

latrip20055.jpg

latrip20056.jpg

carebear

texasgirl said:
Being a librarian, I suppose I have a somewhat grandiose idea of what my ideal library would be. These are from George Lucas' Skywalker Ranch. I think it's just amazing!

Library-small.jpg

latrip20055.jpg

latrip20056.jpg

Okay, Lucas has my library. Stained glass even.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Oh, I have to agree with an above opinion of the merits of Henry Higgins' library! What a dream!

However, my own idea of complete perfection in a library is the one at the gorgeous, stunning Biltmore Estate. Take a peek. ;)

Image is a thumbnail!

vonwotan

Practically Family
I am still looking for photos of the Library, Rotunda and Study at the Pierpont Morgan, but it just occurred to me that should we consider fictional libraries, I would very much like to see the very mysterious library from Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose; and, from history, the Great Library of Alexandria; and, smaller but quite interesting, the Radcliffe Camera at the Bodleian at Oxford.

Perhaps I should post this in the obsessions thread. Bibliomania, especially for illuminated manuscripts and tomes from mediaeval Venetian book binders. My greatest challenge, and biggest regret when moving from a house in Long Island to an apartment outside of Boston, was the sale of 2,600 books to a dealer for lack of space and facilities to keep my books. Still have a few hundred in my new place, and the firsts and a few extraordinary gifts from generous parents stored in their building's excellent storage locker.

Pictures to follow.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
texasgirl said:
I concur! Amazing! Who knew George Lucas had such excellent taste? Thanks for those pics, TexasGirl!

Vonwotan, I feel your pain. I've been leaving a pretty steady trail of books behind me wherever I go. Most recently I donated about 300 books to the Oakmont Branch of the Carnegie when I left Pittsburgh. I just recently donated a similar number to the Ann Arbor Public Library after sifting through the eight or so boxes of books I had stashed in my dad's attic. Every now and then I have to purge the collection. This house is overstuffed, and I may have to do some more thiniing. Not looking forward to that!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
A nice library is definitely on my list.

Dark maroon painted walls with dark wood panelling. Ox blood deep button leather chairs, Persian rugs, a roaring fire and floor to ceiling books! I'll be happy :)

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
LadyStardust said:
However, my own idea of complete perfection in a library is the one at the gorgeous, stunning Biltmore Estate. Take a peek. ;)

Image is a thumbnail!

OMG!!!! What an amazing room!!!!!! Truly beautiful. But then... I know you have good taste LadyStardust. ;)

vonwotan

Practically Family
Not the greatest, but here are some photos.

East Room at the Pierpont Morgan
366455635_8591be1384_m.jpg

The great thing about the Pierpont is that the East Room, Mr. Morgan's library was connected by a gorgeous rotunda to his private study. The sort of study where I would like to hang my Edwardian smoking jacket and embroidered smoking cap for drinks and cigars after dinner, or the occasional pipe while relaxing with a good book.

Two reconstructions of the Great Library at Alexandria by Sagan for his TV show
366455632_60fc341dc8_m.jpg

366455630_aeb1e2cef8_m.jpg

Unfortunately I only have the exterior of the Radcliffe Camera
366455638_81404e1957_m.jpg

There are so many wonderful libraries out there in the world, both large and small, public and private.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
vonwotan said:
.but it just occurred to me that should we consider fictional libraries, I would very much like to see the very mysterious library from Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose; and, from history, the Great Library of Alexandria; and, smaller but quite interesting, the Radcliffe Camera at the Bodleian at Oxford.

I always thought the description of Mr. Norrell's library in the novel Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell sounded fascinating! I have the perfect visualization in my mind of it, but to try to capture it in words would be too hard for me, I'm afraid!

Michaelson

One Too Many
Well, before you can have a library, you have to have a proper collection of books to put in one. ;)

Here's hoping my eldest daughter finds one, as of last count, she had over 5000 volumes. Yes, you read that right, 5000, and it took us one full day to load the boxes on a 26 foot truck when she moved to Arizona. The boxes took up one third of the truck box, stacked 6 feet high.:eek: For a 26 year old, she's been a pretty active collector, and it covers just about every range of interest one can imagine!!!!

So, here's to finding that perfect library space.....lol

Regards! Michaelson

carebear

Michaelson said:
Well, before you can have a library, you have to have a proper collection of books to put in one. ;)

Here's hoping my eldest daughter finds one, as of last count, she had over 5000 volumes. Yes, you read that right, 5000, and it took us one full day to load the boxes on a 26 foot truck when she moved to Arizona. The boxes took up one third of the truck box, stacked 6 feet high.:eek: For a 26 year old, she's been a pretty active collector, and it covers just about every range of interest one can imagine!!!!

Regards! Michaelson

I've been, painfully, reducing my book collection to just the stuff that is out of print, truly obscure or really, really meaningful to me.

It's like pulling teeth.

Michaelson

One Too Many
That's darn near ALL of her collection....out of print, found rare editions, or reference books. TONS of reference books.....and no pun intended.[huh]

Regars! Michaelson

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Michaelson said:

Regards! Michaelson

5000 books?!?! Michaelson your daughter is my hero! I"m in heaven just imagining owning so many books, I lack the required space:(

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
I remember sitting in my pastor's study about a year ago, looking at the floor-to-ceiling bookshelves lining the room, and trying to calculate how many books he had in there. I think it came out to around 6000-7000. And those are just the ones he has in his study; there are probably another 5000 elsewhere in his house and in storage.

But that's nothing compared to one of his friends, a seminary president, who is reputed to have 30,000-40,000 or more in his basement and above his garage. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy