Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Library

LadyStardust

Practically Family
I don't know, owning THAT many books seems kind of silly to me. I read ALOT, over 50 a year, good sized books, but I really cannot imagine anyone having read thirty to forty THOUSAND books. Unless that is literally all they do, day in and day out. Oh, but what do I know. [huh] [huh]

Michaelson

One Too Many
CanadaDoll said:
5000 books?!?! Michaelson your daughter is my hero! I"m in heaven just imagining owning so many books, I lack the required space:(

So does she, but it's never stopped her.lol

If you do a lot of research, LadyStardust, yes, it's easy to acquire a library of that size, and quite quickly (comparatively speaking).;)

Regards! Michaelson

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Downtown Fort Worth's central library which, believe it or not, was built in 1992:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

It was a cap for a horrible '70s underground library that was plagued with problems. From the architect's site:

"The Fort Worth Central Library project represents an innovative solution to an unfortunate existing condition; the two-square-block, underground library constructed in the 1970’s was plagued by more than 300 detected leaks, some of which dated back to its opening. In lieu of continuing efforts to repair the leaks, the client requested we design a new two-story shell over the entire site, solving the water penetration problems and providing much-needed expansion space for this central downtown location. There were no funds for any interior work, but the client expected that having the shell space would help raise support for future expansion. This proved to be correct. Work started on planning the interior just two years after completion of the shell.

Even though the construction budget for this work was extremely limited, the design achieves a sense of permanence and civic importance appropriate for a central library. To maintain scale and rhythm appropriate to the surrounding urban fabric, the facade appears as three distinct buildings. Two, 2-story wing buildings flank a central building with a pedimented entry pavilion. Small garden courts, used as a reading garden and an outdoor children’s story telling area, separate the main building massing from the adjacent wings."

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
LadyStardust said:
I don't know, owning THAT many books seems kind of silly to me. I read ALOT, over 50 a year, good sized books, but I really cannot imagine anyone having read thirty to forty THOUSAND books. Unless that is literally all they do, day in and day out. Oh, but what do I know. [huh] [huh]

Well, the seminary president I mentioned does read a lot, up to several books each week. He's an amazing man. However, the size of these guys' libraries represents a different approach to or way of thinking about the personal library. For them, a library is not just a collection of books you've either read or are going to read (cover-to-cover) one day. It's a tool to be used for research and reference. Both of these men write, speak, preach, blog, and publish quite a bit, and their large libraries are indispensible tools in that.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Atomic Glee, that is an incredible building! Thanks for the pics, and thank you, Fort Worth, for recognizing the value of the aesthetic! A novel solution to a problem, as well. :eusa_clap

I was watching the National Geographic Guns, Germs, and Steel last night, and was struck by the library where Jared Diamond was shown doing research. I wish I could get a screen grab. Anyone know where that library is?

PenMan

Familiar Face
The nicest library I have ever been in must be the old library at Trinity College, Dublin. It is dimly lit since the books there are all, if I remember correctly, pre-1770. The Book of Kells is on display, and the page is turned each day. I spent a year in the classics library in Cambridge, and absolutely loved it. There is a classics museum on the top floor.

Interesting comments about the pastor and seminary president's libraries. As a seminary professor, I have acquired a lot of books, received many review copies, and struggled to resist purchasing the latest works in my field. I have USED nearly all my books, but have READ far fewer: big difference.

My approach over the last couple years, and this is in large part shaped by my proximity to two university libraries, has been to try to purchase only reference tools--not books that I will read just once--so that I have more money and shelf-space for my non-professional pursuits, like Allan Flusser, fountain pens, classic movies, and some of the other interests developed while perusing this site.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
PenMan said:
I have USED nearly all my books, but have READ far fewer: big difference.

This is standard question for some people as soon as they enter your library: "Oh, wow, have you read all these books?"

Sometimes, I used to answer stuff like

- "No, just the dictionaries."

- "No, not each of those, but altogether about three times as many in public libraries."

- "No, that shelf over there is really a door leading to the telly lair where I spend most of the day. Don't tell my wife."

I'm not doing this anymore - it's kind of a natural question after all, and one shouldn't make fun of people who have other interests and abilities.

Washington

New in Town
I wish I had pictures to share of my own library....alas, its not finished yet.

I finished 3/4 of our basement last year and my library/office is still under construction, mainly because as any good library it should contain a secret door. That is the part that currently stymies me though I about have it figured out (anyone with pictures of hidden doors or experience in constructing them is welcome to chime in here with advice).

As much as I would love to have stained hardwood throughout, it just isn't fiscally feasible. Instead I am doing raised panel on one complete wall with raised panel wainscoat on the other three, all painted in a colonial period color. I'm a fairly experienced DIY guy, but the hidden door and built in bookcases have challenged me.

And of course since this is supposed to be a room of great reflection, there will be no electronic interferences (stereo's, TV's, Computers (well, my laptop when I'm working from the house)) though as has been mentioned, there will be most certainly a bar.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Washington said:
I wish I had pictures to share of my own library....alas, its not finished yet.

I finished 3/4 of our basement last year and my library/office is still under construction, mainly because as any good library it should contain a secret door. That is the part that currently stymies me though I about have it figured out (anyone with pictures of hidden doors or experience in constructing them is welcome to chime in here with advice).

As much as I would love to have stained hardwood throughout, it just isn't fiscally feasible. Instead I am doing raised panel on one complete wall with raised panel wainscoat on the other three, all painted in a colonial period color. I'm a fairly experienced DIY guy, but the hidden door and built in bookcases have challenged me.

And of course since this is supposed to be a room of great reflection, there will be no electronic interferences (stereo's, TV's, Computers (well, my laptop when I'm working from the house)) though as has been mentioned, there will be most certainly a bar.

Sounds fantastic. I have dreams of doing my own study someday, when I've settled into a house to stay for a while. I think I would add a stereo, though--great classical music aids rumination.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
My home library

library.jpg

Here's a pic of my library complete with sleeping dog (Dexter) and the Bogart chair and sidetable from Thomasville. The poster on the wall is an Italian GOLDENEYE poster with Pierce Brosnan in his Brioni tux. You can also see the Rejuventation doorknob (used in The Aviator) on one of the French doors.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Mojave Jack said:
Yes! I'd love to see what others have in their library. I, as of yet, do not own a house large enough to accomodate a library, so my books are tucked into shelves all over the house. And by tucked I mean stacked two deep, crammed to overflowing, piled on the floor...

Some believe that if you go to heaven it will be like some ideal place that may only exist in your mind. I like to think that I will go to heaven, and that it might look something like this!

Library.jpg

That is the best thing I've ever seen! I want to live there.

Washington

New in Town
Finally finished

..well almost. I mentioned I was working on this before. Two years ago I finished building out our basement but my office remained unfinished until now. A quite a bit of planning went into this, especially the secret door but I'm very pleased with the results. Let me know what you think..

CopyofWallView.jpg

Main wall view

CopyofSecretDoor.jpg

Secret door

CopyofBookcase.jpg

Built-in bookcases

CopyofSouthWall.jpg

South wall with my workout room in the background

All that's left is a little finish work, furniture of course and to let the paint cure before I load up all my books that have been in storage for 5 years.

-Washington

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Washington said:
..well almost. I mentioned I was working on this before. Two years ago I finished building out our basement but my office remained unfinished until now. A quite a bit of planning went into this, especially the secret door but I'm very pleased with the results. Let me know what you think..

CopyofWallView.jpg

Main wall view

CopyofSecretDoor.jpg

Secret door

CopyofBookcase.jpg

Built-in bookcases

CopyofSouthWall.jpg

South wall with my workout room in the background

All that's left is a little finish work, furniture of course and to let the paint cure before I load up all my books that have been in storage for 5 years.

-Washington

That is one great secret door.I neverwould have picked it

It's been a while now, what does it look like these days

theplaiddress

New in Town
I have the pleasure of living near this beauty, the main reading room at the Library of Congress:

mainreadingroom_enlarge.jpg

And, yes, it is open to the public. Anyone over the age of 16 can get a registration card and do research in the LoC. I never do proper research, though, I just hide away under the dome and read novels. [huh]

Mav

A-List Customer
My library is pseudo- vintage, as it's also my business office, esoteric library, and meditation space. And, most of my firearms also reside there.
I dig the look of the stereotypical Brit country gent's study, which is kind of what I've gone for, although it's not completely there yet. The place is a 1898 Queen Anne cottage that was a rental from the 1970's through the 1990's that my wife convinced me (and the bank)to buy and re-do. I live in a construction zone. I'm still trying to figure out a way to do fake copper ceiling panels.

I'll post a pic tomorrow- the light is lousy this time of night.

Mav

A-List Customer
BTW, a library ain't a library unless it contains several voumes of Eliphas Levi, Albert Pike, Plato and a big, stinky dog. Classically, the dog is a retriever of some sort. I like my Swissy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy