Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE MALLORY MILE

Lynx

New in Town
a few that I have:

25hcqs0.jpg

122lxqh.jpg

and one of my favorites -

f0btky.jpg

2qkjzv7.jpg

2yn2dud.jpg

Lynx

New in Town
wanted to add that this is my first post, however I have been on here reading for a long time and appreciate the wealth of knowledge available here and the beautiful and inspiring examples of some of the collections shared on this site; thank you!

Lynx

New in Town
maybe not the right place, but would anyone have any guesses at to the date of the above two Mallory hats? the one with the feather I would guess is 60's?

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Welcome, Lynx, and a pair of nice Mallory fedoras. Your estimate as to vintage is accurate. Both date to the 1960s, mid to late, possibly even early 1970s for the first example.

Lynx

New in Town
Welcome, Lynx, and a pair of nice Mallory fedoras. Your estimate as to vintage is accurate. Both date to the 1960s, mid to late, possibly even early 1970s for the first example.

thank you delectans and appreciate the info (and your hat collection:D)

Somehow I was thinking the first one was older, but am in no right particularly knowledgeable on the subject and definitely still learning

Those are some really sharp hats. I notice the surface of the felt sure looks creamy.

thanks LoveMyHats2

I'm really fond of the second hat for some reason, just something about it; feels as good to the touch as it does on my head and is just one of those hats that has a good vibe to it :)

buler

I'll Lock Up
Purple, the 1817 liner and the silver paper size tag are both indications of post-Stetson buyout of Mallory. Stetson bought Mallory in August, 1946. So your hat is 1946 or later.

B

Purplesage

One Too Many
Thanks B, I didn't know that about the silver size tag. I was still thinking it is most likely from the late 40s then because there is no plastic cover on the inside crown liner. What are your thoughts?

P

buler

I'll Lock Up
Thanks B, I didn't know that about the silver size tag. I was still thinking it is most likely from the late 40s then because there is no plastic cover on the inside crown liner. What are your thoughts?

P

We have seen the continued use of the pre-Stetson Mallory fabric, slash-cut, embroidered size tags along with the 1817 liners. Assumption is that they had a supply of these and used them until they were gone. Then it appears the size tag was switched to the paper tag. Whether this happened in months or years is anybody's guess.

I've seen many of the 1817 liners with no plastic tip cover. Some of these may have had them, but they deteriorated over time and crumbled into the tiny yellow plastic flecks that many have found inside of hat boxes. Sometimes there are telltale leftovers of the plastic tip cover around the edges of the liner. Other times they are perfectly clean. Also, there is the possibility that there were 1817 liners without a plastic tip cover from day 1. I've seen enough Mallory's with the 1817 liner and no evidence of the plastic that I believe this to be true.

All of that being said, it's pretty hard to nail down a better date for your hat. The next thing I would do is investigate the seller whose mark is on your sweatband. That may or may not help with dating.

B

buler

I'll Lock Up
Picked up 2 brown Mallory's recently. The first is a Ten quality level homburg. 1817 liner, so post Stetson buyout, with the earlier Mallory cloth size tag.

B

mallory_hom_2.jpg

mallory_hom_1.jpg

mallory_hom_3.jpg

mallory_hom_4.jpg

mallory_hom_5.jpg

mallory_hom_6.jpg

mallory_hom_7.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Cool 1920 ad - hard to read. I've added larger versions of the different sections. Hopefully they are readable.

B

mallory_sept_1920.JPG

mallory_sept_1920_2.JPG

mallory_sept_1920_3.JPG

mallory_sept_1920_4.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou