Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Marilyn Files

LawnFlamingo

Familiar Face
http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/marilyn/marilyn

I came across this online archive of sorts of Marilyn Monroe's personal belongings, photographed and categorized.

There are photographs of some of her clothing and jewel pieces, and also there are everyday letters and receipts and other correspondences, which I find really interesting.

I didn't notice anyone else here posting this, but if someone has already mentioned this, I apologize.

Also, there is a lengthy article about her estate in (I think) this month's Vanity Fair... it's posted online at vanityfair.com as well as the photo archive.

glamour-girl

One of the Regulars
this is unbelivable, makes me feel sorry for her really. thease items were her own private belongings and weren't ment for anyone else to see, i'm sure she wouldn't have wanted them revealed like that. joe kept them away from the press for a reason, especially some of the letters and prescriptions.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Oh wow, thank you so much, I loved seeing her things. Just beautiful. Her stationery was very tasteful. I was also amused to see that she had bought a Rodin sculpture and a Poucette painting for the amount of just $962, while another receipt showed a fur coat costing $10.000!

clothes03_mfiles.jpg

clothes05_mfiles.jpg

clothes11_mfiles.jpg

clothes18_mfiles.jpg

jewels12_mfiles.jpg

jewels23_mfiles.jpg

This list of clothing was also quite interesting:
receipts15_mfiles.jpg

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Smuterella said:
it is, she was a very elegant woman, people seem to forget that and see the ditsy persona over everything

I have a feeling she was not ditzy at all... Remember she was an actress and that's what she did best!!
Unfortunately we may never know what really happened to her but i sort of thing it's sad that so long after here death that here life is still so public.
Like Elvis and James Dean they were never really "that famous" while they were still alive... The all died far too young, a terrible waste of a life.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Am I the only one who does not find this display of her life disrespectful? I think everything bears witness that she was an intelligent and, as you ladies mention, elegant woman.

Smuterella

One Too Many
Kassia said:
I have a feeling she was not ditzy at all... Remember she was an actress and that's what she did best!!

I wasn't implying that she was, hence the use of the word persona.

:)

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Laura Chase said:
Am I the only one who does not find this display of her life disrespectful? I think everything bears witness that she was an intelligent and, as you ladies mention, elegant woman.

I think that was what i was trying to say too...
I am not a huge fan of this "celebrity idolism" and don't really follow much of this stuff.. I do think it's interesting that she was very smart and organized in her personal life...
It gives us a tiny look into her real life..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot