Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The new Aeronautical from Aero Leathers - in Petrol Blue

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
I looked up the 'The Few' x Mushman A1 in Badalassi Ortensia. If that colour's supposed to be approaching navy blue then I'm in for a serious surprise when a suit I ordered over the net arrives:

http://shop.mushmans.com/?pid=59456330#

Looks close to what Aero did, colour wise, insofar as monitor pictures can be compared. No arguing about taste but in combo with the A1 as shown on their site it doesn't do a lot to me, certainly not at a price which after customs duties, VAT etc is going to be north of 1600 Euro. Personally think it would look better on a '30s HB, cafe racer or an A2.

Arguments about the jacket model aside, what struck me is that imho MM's jacket didn't seem to age beautifully, the changing of the skin texture doesn't seem to agree too well with the colour but of course one would have to see pics of it under various lighting conditions. Goat might work better I think.

I'm not a fanboy for a particular brand either, the only thing that interests me is the product. Own one Aero HB Deluxe, have two other jackets of them underway and am currently communicating with ELC about a jacket (for which I'd reviously contacted Aero but their 6 month wait is just too much).

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Andrew at VLJ (he's Windsock here) made a very good point. This spate of blue jackets seems to have grown out of a post at VLJ of an A-1 made by Japanese company "The Few" which was in a deep, almost navy shade of blue. And now there seems to be a rush on getting blue jackets out to the public from a couple of makers, namely BK and Aero. Like Andrew posted, and for me as well, The Few blue A-1 was a really beautiful deep shade of blue which had great contrasting olive knits, and it looked a million times better than this Aeronautical, subtle yet striking at the same time. But then as I stated I'm not a fan of the Aeromarine and that's merely my opinion.

One thing which is noticeable here at FL since the big Aero hoofluff a year or two back is that it seems to have become very bipartisan round here - you're either in my favourite maker's corner or your not, the old "with us or against us" position. A lot of blokes seem to think that if you don't like an Aero then you're in cahoots with the other mob, and vice versa. And some seem to get seriously wound up if you question their favourite jacket maker.

As I stated at VLJ, I personally don't get this almost religious fervour for particular makers and this need to defend any tiny little comment which could be construed against them. I personally like jackets not labels. I have an Aero and love it (I want a HB Deluxe like Butte's down the line), I love my ELC, and I want a BK Aeronaut. Nothing to do with the particular label, just the fact that I like the style of the individual jacket.

I've been reading the VLJ stuff, and I thought about joining in, but the 'Hate the Hat Club', 'Hate Aero', 'How dare you even question BK' stuff and the general sour tone is pretty off-putting, and it does the site no good at all. So, I think your comments could be equally applied to there, if not more so, at the moment , tbh.

*edit: Looking at the Mushman's pic, a. Aero have obviously found a close match; b. I think it's the knits that change the emphasis of the A-1's overall effect. On a colour wheel, the blue and green would sit close to each, so they have the effect of toning down the other. Rust orange would be an equally good choice.

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I've been reading the VLJ stuff, and I thought about joining in, but the 'Hate the Hat Club', 'Hate Aero', 'How dare you even question BK' stuff and the general sour tone is pretty off-putting, and it does the site no good at all. So, I think your comments could be equally applied to there, if not more so, at the moment , tbh.

And that's why I said "vice versa" in my above post and also why "I personally don't get this almost religious fervour for particular makers". I couldn't care less whether it's somebody fervently and myopically banging on about Aero, BK, Goodwear, etc, and whether it's here or at VLJ, I personally don't get it and think it comes across as a bit saddo and blinkered to be honest.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
And that's why I said "vice versa" in my above post and also why "I personally don't get this almost religious fervour for particular makers". I couldn't care less whether it's somebody fervently and myopically banging on about Aero, BK, Goodwear, etc, and whether it's here or at VLJ, I personally don't get it and think it comes across as a bit saddo and blinkered to be honest.

I don't see much religious fervour around here, though. Well, apart from when Butte introduces his next GW obviously:D.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I don't see much religious fervour around here, though. Well, apart from when Butte introduces his next GW obviously:D.

Oh no there's plenty here and probably from the Aero side of things. And at the same time, there's lots of BK and Goodwear worship at VLJ.

I personally use these forms to try and make informed decisions about my next jacket but find the most constructive information is from those who give balanced information. If I see a review for a jacket by a particular maker by a particular member who just always gushes about a maker without highlighting any shortcomings I tend to take it with a grain of salt. The best reviewers here and at other places are those who can objectively review something and also make mention of any things that aren't perfect. And I've yet to see a jacket which is 100% perfect - that's why we keep buying the damn things.

Actually, on the surface, I can see why you think this here. But there are things that are unknown generally that would explain it all. In time, things may come to light. Until then, Que sera.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
You make a fair point, Smithy. Both sites are 'living databases' on almost all aspects of jackets etc and I can think of few other places that have this. But as Butte points out, sometimes 'the other stuff' can obscure it a bit. :)

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
While I had their page open I looked at some of the Mushman offerings, some real interesting design/colour combinations there! Here's one I particularly like (except for the sleeve closing): http://shop.mushmans.com/?pid=22667665

Minimalist version of a Spiegel jacket? Have to be in Japan on business coming spring, will try to take a couple of days extra to explore, really admire some of their aesthetics, be it urushi laquer fountain pens, architecture, jeans and even the food.

schitzo

Suspended
Actually, on the surface, I can see why you think this here. But there are things that are unknown generally that would explain it all. In time, things may come to light. Until then, Que sera.

I remember this old chestnut well, it used to be an MM stock delivery. Alas as far as I can see the enlightened few includes MM, Sloane and apparently Butte only (I think that's right) - and so the rest of us will just have to take your word for it.

Gosh, this far reaching truth that cannot be spoken must be such a burden on the shoulders of you three reluctant leather jacket prophets? Although obviously one of your number was a little less reluctant, and now he aint here no more. Dammit, martyrdom is so sad :(

If you're reading, Ken Bless you MM. Only the good die young

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
I remember this old chestnut well, it used to be an MM stock delivery. Alas as far as I can see the enlightened few includes MM, Sloane and apparently Butte only (I think that's right) - and so the rest of us will just have to take your word for it.

Gosh, this far reaching truth that cannot be spoken must be such a burden on the shoulders of you three reluctant leather jacket prophets? Although obviously one of your number was a little less reluctant, and now he aint here no more. Dammit, martyrdom is so sad :(

If you're reading, Ken Bless you MM. Only the good die young

+1:eusa_clap

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Am I the only one who thinks Jeff M's blue goatskin Speedway is the best blue yet? I'm surprised there isn't more talk of it here. Seems like his was the dark shade everyone is after.

wdw

One Too Many
Am I the only one who thinks Jeff M's blue goatskin Speedway is the best blue yet? I'm surprised there isn't more talk of it here. Seems like his was the dark shade everyone is after.

I think that's the same hide I saw at Aero recently, in which case it's almost black externally, but I think it might actually be an overdyed fairly bright blue leather. I gather the theory is that the true blue colour will show through once it's creased, scratched or scuffed. I'd be interested in seeing it in that condition, as it would be quite a contrast.

eggleman

One of the Regulars
I think that's the same hide I saw at Aero recently, in which case it's almost black externally, but I think it might actually be an overdyed fairly bright blue leather. I gather the theory is that the true blue colour will show through once it's creased, scratched or scuffed. I'd be interested in seeing it in that condition, as it would be quite a contrast.

I remember Aero doing this with a batch of Buffalo hide a few years back.
That was bright blue , over-dyed black.
Don't suppose anyone has one of these with a few years wear behind it ?

schitzo

Suspended

I thought the same as you Nick, but then when I saw it up close it was totally underwhelming and I completely changed my mind

Worf

I'll Lock Up
While I had their page open I looked at some of the Mushman offerings, some real interesting design/colour combinations there! Here's one I particularly like (except for the sleeve closing): http://shop.mushmans.com/?pid=22667665

Minimalist version of a Spiegel jacket? Have to be in Japan on business coming spring, will try to take a couple of days extra to explore, really admire some of their aesthetics, be it urushi laquer fountain pens, architecture, jeans and even the food.

My eyes are gettin' old, is that like an "Olive Green"? If so I kinda like that color. Not a fan of the "cut" of the jacket but I like different colored hides.

Worf

It still seems to me that there is something special about the Badalassi leathers...

there seems to be some blackish tones, not just a uniform blue dye- but I can't tell without samples...
;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred