Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The new Aeronautical from Aero Leathers - in Petrol Blue

Simons

New In Town
Spotted this on another site. Looks very cool, and it sounds like some discussions on here were instrumental in its creation. Very cool....

djxn.jpg

Info via "Majormajor"

Here is my latest Aero jacket. This is the result of conversations that took place over the last couple of months, both on Fedora Lounge and with Ken Calder of Aero. Both the handwarmer pockets, and the Petrol Blue colour were features that I could see working really well on this design. And thanks to the great input from Ken and Denny at Aero, the jacket is now a reality.
The hide is steer, and was sourced specifically for this jacket from within the UK. It is not the same as the stuff shown by Insurrection/Thurston in the US. We did look at the Badalassi hides from Italy – these could all be used (they are all relatively easy to get, despite what some folks will tell you), but, based on the samples we have, they are VERY shiny, which, for me, would not be a look I would want on this kind of jacket.
We envisioned this new jacket is just the sort of jacket you might have had made as a "private purchase" if you were a high ranking officer signed up to the USN or "Bureau of Aeronautics" during the late 20s early 30s, or the sort of jacket Onasis might have strutted around the deck of one of his tankers, back in ther day.
Not only that, but the shade of leather is a “nautical” blue. So therefore the name of this Jacket is Aeronautical. Very apt, I think. I’ll be doing my usual “conditioning” to this over the next few days and weeks, so “worn in” pics to follow.

Looks really really nice!

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
Would this be the same type of leather (medium weight steer) as is used for the red limited edition cafe racer on the Aero site? I mailed Holly yesterday day to ask about the weight/thickness of that skin as well as the actual colour (reproduction on a monitor is always tricky, it looks like RAL 3027 to me, raspberry red) but didn't receive a reply yet. But the petroleum blue aeronautical sure looks good!

I was wondering if you'd seen this yet. Got the gears churning?
Yeah, but this style jacket doesn't work on me. It's nice though to see the blue in the flesh. I hope more are to come. I'm intrigued by the different vendors' blue hides. I have my next GW thought out, but there's room for something blue for sure. Just gotta be right...

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
colored leather jackets remind me of Michael Jackson and the 80's too much, fellas that were a little to light in the loafers wore that stuff...no thanks.

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
Awe, it's OK - my manliness isn't in question. Regardless of the color jacket...

didn't say it was, just don't dig the colored leathers. that blue is a nice shade though, but don't like it on leather jackets.
are these pigments applied or dyed in, how will they age? if its like a regular leather jacket, there's going to be much lighter blue coming out after it wears, no? I don't know.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I wonder if Ken would be willing to consider an ANJ-3 with that colour, maybe some tan or olive knits...

Here's the lining:

Last edited:
Good pic Sloan. Don't know how that color of blue could be any better. The collar design is perfect IMO(not showing lining)...and handwarmers keep it simple. Very nice.
Is that going to be in Aero's lineup? Should be.
HD

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
As far as I know it is going into the line-up, it's a nice addition. It's always good see some thoughtful development, not just chucking stuff out ad hoc. I like the OD stitching too, a cool detail.

Yeah, the hide/color does look killer in that pic.
I get the "colored leather" thing - I've made fun of more jackets in crazy colors than probably anyone here. But these new jackets - with feedback from the locals - seem to be getting it right.

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
I've heard the leather is comparable to the "mid weight" HH, though softer.

I think they should have called the jacket the "Kelsonautical" just to make things even more interesting!

Says on classicleatheranddenem.com that it's steer hide, sourced in the UK. Texture doesn't look the same as the HH aeromarine on their site to me. The liner is a question of taste of course but I'd go for a plain, light tanned/cream. Love the green contrast stitch around the buttonholes. Curious as to when and for how much it'll go on their site and as was mentioned, about the colouring. Should be pretty resistant to discolouring if it's heavily aniline-dyed. Suspect that's also the reason why they opted for medium steer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred