Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Messenger boy
Waco, Texas
Messenger boy,.jpg

Street gang
Springfield, Mass. 1916
7985821930_390fbb0527_b.jpg

Bundle boy
St. Louis
Bundle Boy in St. Louis.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I don’t believe none of the gents back then would've gone outside without a hat when
in public places.
Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 1.46.09 AM.png

There’s a favorite seafood diner by the ocean that I visit when I go to
the coast.
On the walls are photos of fishermen with their prize "catch of the day!”.
The photos are from the '20s & ‘30s.

And everyone is wearing suits, some with their coats off, but everyone
is wearing a tie and a hat of some kind.
I can’t relate how they were able to be out in the heat fishing and wearing
what they did and be comfortable.

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I'm thinking that the kids described as a "street gang" are just kids hanging on the corner. That's where you met your friends, and it's what you did with your spare time if you grew up in the city.

The caption which I used from the “Library of Congress" was meant for the gang that you hung around with
and had a grand time.
13666u.jpg

Below Douglas Fairbanks is the banner “Our Gang Rascals”, a favorite comedy serials which I enjoy today.

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Coolidge ten gallon hat..has this been posted? forgive me if it has

And they said "Silent Cal" had no sense of humor. . . .

(The story goes that Coolidge was telling a reporter about the fish in his pond at the White House. "Have you caught any?" the reporter asked. Coolidge murmured, "No, not yet, but I've pretty much got 'em surrounded.")

...And everyone is wearing suits, some with their coats off, but everyone is wearing a tie and a hat of some kind. I can’t relate how they were able to be out in the heat fishing and wearing what they did and be comfortable.
Who says they were comfortable? :D My dad was born in 1913, and throughout much of his life was pretty much "required" to wear a suit and tie for both work and societal reasons. By the time I came along in 1961 he was a foreman (middle management at a tuna cannery, coincidentally) and his daily work and casual wear consisted of a tee shirt, work pants (the 1960s equivalent of Dickies' pants), and work boots. By that point he would need to wear a suit and tie only for special occasions, and grumbled about how uncomfortable they were almost every time. So, yes, he wore suits when he needed to, but much preferred the comfort of his far more casual working clothes. Fishing in a suit coat, tie, and hat? He would have thought they were nuts.

KarlCrow

One Too Many
My dad used to garden / DIY etc wearing suit trousers and old shoes, old shirt, he bought his first pair of trainers (old people's version) in his late sixties, e had a bad foot but used walk a few miles each day. They outlived him. He simply wouldn't wear casual clothes. My mum bought him a pair of jeans once when we were kids, we laughed him out of them. There's no way he ever wore a sweater without a shirt and tie underneath, born in the 40s, stayed in the fifties, to use someone else's line, he was a man with a plan and a pocket comb. I miss him.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
55023797.jpg
In his earlier years, I recall my dad wearing this type of under garment inside the house,
never outside.
He never owned or wore dungarees, denims or blue jeans.
Doing chores around the house was usually old khaki trousers and always a hat.

As for me, besides khaki pants, I wore 501 "Shrink-to-fit” Levis, Wranglers or Lee jeans. Still do.

Except for my Woolrich jacket...cotton is my favorite material when
it comes to clothing. :)

Last edited:
My dad used to garden / DIY etc wearing suit trousers and old shoes, old shirt, he bought his first pair of trainers (old people's version) in his late sixties, e had a bad foot but used walk a few miles each day. They outlived him. He simply wouldn't wear casual clothes. My mum bought him a pair of jeans once when we were kids, we laughed him out of them. There's no way he ever wore a sweater without a shirt and tie underneath, born in the 40s, stayed in the fifties, to use someone else's line, he was a man with a plan and a pocket comb. I miss him.
My dad grew up on a farm in Nebraska; I have no idea what he wore during his childhood and teen years, but I'd guess it was probably "dress" clothes that had seen better days and were repurposed as work clothes. Dad rarely took vacations while I was growing up, so a month or two after he retired at the age of 72 my brother and his wife insisted dad and mom accompany them on a trip to northern California. Much to my shock and surprise, when they returned a week later dad was wearing a pair of blue jeans; the first time I had ever seen him in a pair. It had apparently become necessary for him to buy them during the trip (I never found out why) and he liked them so much that he bought a few more the week after they returned, and those were the only pants he wore until the day he died two years later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn