Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
That second pic reminds me of this:
americangothic-grant-wood1336236915235.jpeg

I’m thinking the guy posing with the metal rake also had the same idea.
I had one of me like that a while back
but my ex tore it up! :(

Last edited:
Maybe they drove a Lamborghini!
It was a great commercial. They were standing there, he was reviewing their life together, how the farm was paid for & they had raised two wonderful children. He said he wasn't sure what it was but there was just something missing. To which she replied, I know what you mean...a Lamborghini Diablo! About that time in the commercial there was a brand new yellow Diablo that she had ordered coming down the driveway being delivered by the salesman. When the commercial finally cuts away it shows her in the Diablo cutting donuts in the yard in front of the old farmhouse.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Who says they were comfortable? :D My dad was born in 1913, and throughout much of his life was pretty much "required" to wear a suit and tie for both work and societal reasons. By the time I came along in 1961 he was a foreman (middle management at a tuna cannery, coincidentally) and his daily work and casual wear consisted of a tee shirt, work pants (the 1960s equivalent of Dickies' pants), and work boots. By that point he would need to wear a suit and tie only for special occasions, and grumbled about how uncomfortable they were almost every time. So, yes, he wore suits when he needed to, but much preferred the comfort of his far more casual working clothes. Fishing in a suit coat, tie, and hat? He would have thought they were nuts.
I was born in 1951, and every Sunday morning my brother and I were required to wear a jacket and tie to 9:00 am Mass and wear them again for the 1:00 pm dinner. Summers included. Agony? You were expected to "offer it up for the poor souls."

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I was born in 1951, and every Sunday morning my brother and I were required to wear a jacket and tie to 9:00 am Mass and wear them again for the 1:00 pm dinner. Summers included. Agony? You were expected to "offer it up for the poor souls."

After the military I went into retail.
Suit & tie was required.

There was a ‘30s fad in menswear back then in my town. Bonnie & Clyde movie
was very popular.
I received 25% off on clothing from the store. I practically bought an Arrow shirt every payday.
arrowcollarmanvintageverts190719317.jpg

I would also visit the tobacco shop and buy the most expensive huge cigar I could find.
That I didn’t smoke didn’t matter,
I enjoyed the aroma of a cigar and wearing a pin-stripe suit.
Inside my coat vest was my Parker Big Red Fountain pen from the 20s that a
lady collector bought for me at a vintage pen show in Dallas, Texas.
A gold pocket watch would adorn my
my vest.
Life was grand!

Afterwards I went into news journalism. My attire was now a polo shirt, cargo pants or shorts and tennis shoes.

After a while when I had to put on a suit for a conference, I felt like a country bumpkin.
I couldn't wait to take off my tie & coat.

Today I am once again enjoying a sport coat, tie and wing-tip shoes.
Life is grand!

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Boy, they sure look like a fun couple, don't they? :eek:

I used to know a gal that looked like her. Hair was red and she could swear like a sailor
and not afraid to shout it out.
She was twelve, I was about seven or eight.
She thought I was cute.
With her around, none of the bullies would bother me. :)

Last edited:
Just for the trivia buffs, I did a little research and several websites repeat the same story, so I assume there's some truth to it. Artist Grant Wood was initially inspired to paint American Gothic when he "discovered" the house seen in the background in Eldon, Iowa; he thought the "Carpenter Gothic" window was a little pretentious for an otherwise modest house. He recruited his sister, Nan Wood Graham, and their dentist, Dr. Byron McKeeby, to pose on separate occasions for the painting. Wood apparently preferred to leave the interpretation to the viewer, but Nan claimed Wood's intent was to depict a father and daughter, not husband and wife, as "the kind of people" who would live in that house.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Just for the trivia buffs, I did a little research and several websites repeat the same story, so I assume there's some truth to it. Artist Grant Wood was initially inspired to paint American Gothic when he "discovered" the house seen in the background in Eldon, Iowa; he thought the "Carpenter Gothic" window was a little pretentious for an otherwise modest house. He recruited his sister, Nan Wood Graham, and their dentist, Dr. Byron McKeeby, to pose on separate occasions for the painting. Wood apparently preferred to leave the interpretation to the viewer, but Nan claimed Wood's intent was to depict a father and daughter, not husband and wife, as "the kind of people" who would live in that house.

So this would be “ma” ?
6CB30622-D10A-4BEC-8A66-265BE9759FCD.jpeg

Popeye's mammy? :confused:

Li'l Abner's.

Mammy Yokum: Born Pansy Hunks, Mammy was the scrawny, highly principled "sassiety" leader and bare knuckle "champeen" of the town of Dogpatch. She married the inconsequential Pappy Yokum in 1902; they produced two strapping sons twice their own size. Mammy dominated the Yokum clan through the force of her personality, and dominated everyone else with her fearsome right uppercut (sometimes known as her "Goodnight, Irene" punch), which helped her uphold law, order and decency. She is consistently the toughest character throughout Li'l Abner. A superhuman dynamo, Mammy did all the household chores — and provided her charges with no fewer than eight meals a day of "po'k chops" and "tarnips," (as well as local Dogpatch delicacies like "candied catfish eyeballs" and "trashbean soup"). Her authority was unquestioned, and her characteristic phrase, "Ah has spoken!," signaled the end of all further discussion. Her most familiar phrase, however, is "Good is better than evil becuz it's nicer!" (Upon his retirement in 1977, Capp declared Mammy to be his personal favorite of all his characters.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails