Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The Notebook" bad acting, great clothes

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Ray

:D yet another movie that I've got to see. I've heard so much about it...all good. Since it's supposed to rain all this week, I guess it'll be perfect to get caught up!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jitterbugdoll said:
Some of the period movies/shows I have enjoyed fashion-wise are Dead Gorgeous (a Mystery! movie set in 1946--one of the main characters is quite weathly and had absolutely drool-worthy ensembles), The Aviator (the shoes in this movie are amazing—a friend of mine actually bought a pair on eBay), the Poirot Series, and Charlotte Gray . I enjoyed Mrs. Henderson Presents as well, and Being Julia had some lovely ensembles, too.
I definitely agree. The Aviator is one of my all time favorite movie all around. Clothes, Hair, Make-up, and oh those shoes. Both Cate Blanchett and Kate Beckinsale wear the clothes, and the attitudes, so well. I just stare, and stare, and wish that I could have all of the outfits that they wear. I don't get it. There have been so many movies made, especially over the past 5 years, that take place in the early to mid twentieth century. It is typical that movies set the tone for fashion, at least it used to be. I wish today's designers would take their cues from these movies that take place in an earlier era. Instead, they are designing outfits based on what the girls wore in "The fast and the furious" and other horrible cinimatic nightmares. How wonderful would it be if the next hot designer would release dresses based on The Aviator or The Notebook. Girls everywhere would finally look like respectable ladies again. And we all know that if a girl dresses like a lady, she might actually act like one too! A change to this style might actualy make the world a better place. And we wouldn't have to pay through the roof for dresses on ebay, or have that anxiety of watching a dress we really want slip through our fingers because someone has a faster internet connection. Hey, a gal can dream, can't she?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
even if designers don't take a hint (which they probably won't) I trully believe for those young girls out there especially, seeing women like us, out in public looking like real ladies, will set an impression from that they see in the media, and make them think,
'wow, now that looks nice'
It's amazing the powerful influence we have on people...even those we have never talked to.

Daisy Buchanan

mysterygal said:
even if designers don't take a hint (which they probably won't) I trully believe for those young girls out there especially, seeing women like us, out in public looking like real ladies, will set an impression from that they see in the media, and make them think,
'wow, now that looks nice'
It's amazing the powerful influence we have on people...even those we have never talked to.
Unfortunately I haven't had that kind of experience. Most of the time, young girls will look me up and down and snicker. Remember, girls today must do everything that their little friends do. So, anything out of the ordinary, is to them, taboo.

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
Daisy Buchanan said:
I definitely agree. The Aviator is one of my all time favorite movie all around. Clothes, Hair, Make-up, and oh those shoes. Both Cate Blanchett and Kate Beckinsale wear the clothes, and the attitudes, so well. I just stare, and stare, and wish that I could have all of the outfits that they wear. I don't get it. There have been so many movies made, especially over the past 5 years, that take place in the early to mid twentieth century. It is typical that movies set the tone for fashion, at least it used to be. I wish today's designers would take their cues from these movies that take place in an earlier era. Instead, they are designing outfits based on what the girls wore in "The fast and the furious" and other horrible cinimatic nightmares. How wonderful would it be if the next hot designer would release dresses based on The Aviator or The Notebook. Girls everywhere would finally look like respectable ladies again. And we all know that if a girl dresses like a lady, she might actually act like one too! A change to this style might actualy make the world a better place. And we wouldn't have to pay through the roof for dresses on ebay, or have that anxiety of watching a dress we really want slip through our fingers because someone has a faster internet connection. Hey, a gal can dream, can't she?

:eusa_clap

Oh and I think Kate Beckinsale is beautiful--she looked great in Pearl Harbor too.

Jessica

Daisy Buchanan

VintageJess said:
:eusa_clap

Oh and I think Kate Beckinsale is beautiful--she looked great in Pearl Harbor too.

Jessica
I agree, she is beautiful. She play's Ava Gardner so well, oh and that accent, and all of the sayings she uses, she was just so much fun to watch.

So I'm flipping through the channels and I come across a movie made in 1981 called "True Confessions" starring Robert Duvall and Robert DiNiro. It takes place in the 1940's, and the mens costumes are great. Double breasted suits with wide peaked lapels, and lot of wonderful hat's with teardrop bashes. There aren't that many female characters, but the ones that do show up are dressed accurately for the period. I jumped into the movie when it was more than half way through, so I don't really know what's going on. I'd like to watch it from the begining, just so I can see more of the ladies clothes.
I really do have to get to that dress maker of mine. I have pictures of costumes from both "The Aviator" and "The Notebook" that I'd like to have duplicated. I'm just worried that they won't look authentic to the time period, but the tailor has promised me they will. I really must learn how to sew. That way I could have anything I want, and I'd know that it would be accurate.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
jitterbugdoll said:
Another bad movie (like you two, if it is a period movie, I'll watch it no matter how terrible) with outstanding clothing (1950s) is Far from Heaven. Julianne Moore is perfect for period clothing--did you see the movie The End of the Affair

I actually liked Far From Heaven, but even if I hadn't - aesthetically it was just stunning. The 1950s decor in the homes is fabulous!

Julianne Moore wears period clothing very well.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I have to say that Gwyneth Paltrow's normally stringy locks looked so much better in Sky Captain and the...o.k. I just completely blanked on the last part of the name.
And I loved her suit and shoes.(I'm sure it's not spot-on,but there are some modern designs that I actually like)

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
The Notebook is one of my favorite movies, I loved the clothes and the cars. I also liked The Aviator. It's too bad Kate Beckinsale is now making some really stupid movies.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
'The Aviator' was great...story line and attire. It is becoming more and more rare that I see a movie and then must buy it to have....this is one of them

Rosie

One Too Many
ooo, I forgot about Far from Heaven great movie and Julianne Moore (as always) was beautiful, their house was great. I just saw Cabin in the Sky about two weeks ago, Ms. Horne's outfit was great.

Cate Blanchett does do period films well, not sure what it is, her bone structure? her overall look? very nice. I just saw Ray again about a few days ago (I need to get out more) and you're right, the clothes, especially in the club scenes were great. LizzieMaine mentioned a movie not too long ago, a period piece with Julianne Moore, I meant to put it on my NetFlix list but I can't remember the name of it off hand now, maybe she'll chime in and let us know.

RubyRedLocks - Was Sky Captain any good? I wanted to watch it if only for the clothes but never get more than a few minutes in. Whenever those big robots start stomping around, I loose interest plus, I kind of find Jude Law annoying, after half watching Alfie, I kind of don't like him as an actor anymore, [huh] not sure what it is.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Julianne Moore pic is "The Prize Winner of Defiance Ohio" -- based on the true story of a '50s mom who raises her family on the winnings she earns in "complete this sentence in ten words or less" contests. Julianne wears some very cute cotton housedresses, and a very interesting pair of casual shoes -- they might be Remixes, but I couldnt get a close enough look to be sure.

It's a very enjoyable film, which didnt get anywhere near the theatrical play it should've gotten (although we ran it for a week last winter, and it drew well). It;s out now on DVD, and is well worth grabbing if you see it!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Rosie, I"m glad I'm not the only one who finds Jude Law annoying! I haven't watched sky captian either for the same reasons...it's just to far fetched looking, at least from the previews [huh]

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
True

Rosie said:
Another good film for clothing is Hoodlum, this was good for me because it isn't often that I get to see actors of color dressed so grandly in older or period films.

Lawrence Fishborne is just delicious :D

Im also looking forward to the new film, 'Idlewild'. I hope the clothes in that one are on point.

LD

Rosie

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
The Julianne Moore pic is "The Prize Winner of Defiance Ohio" -- based on the true story of a '50s mom who raises her family on the winnings she earns in "complete this sentence in ten words or less" contests. Julianne wears some very cute cotton housedresses, and a very interesting pair of casual shoes -- they might be Remixes, but I couldnt get a close enough look to be sure.

It's a very enjoyable film, which didnt get anywhere near the theatrical play it should've gotten (although we ran it for a week last winter, and it drew well). It;s out now on DVD, and is well worth grabbing if you see it!

Thanks Lizzie, I'll add it right now. :)

Rosie

One Too Many
mysterygal said:
Rosie, I"m glad I'm not the only one who finds Jude Law annoying! I haven't watched sky captian either for the same reasons...it's just to far fetched looking, at least from the previews [huh]

lol I don't know what happened. It was between Closer and Alfie. He just seems nasal- ly or something [huh] not sure. I like him in AI and Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, maybe because his parts were small. Sky Captain has been playing on On Demand, I'm going to MAKE myself watch it before the end of the week. Maybe I'll get past the first 20 minutes.

Rosie

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
Lawrence Fishborne is just delicious :D

Im also looking forward to the new film, 'Idlewild'. I hope the clothes in that one are on point.

LD

I had to go look this up, I wasn't aware of this coming out. Those guys from outkast do a lot of vintage mixing in with their clothes so, the wardrobe for this should be tight. I just found this still

getimage.php

that dress is cute and his suit looks correct.

Actually, I'm writing this as I'm looking, heres a link to a gallery: http://www.trailerdownload.net/gallery/Idlewild

I'm not a Fishburne kind of girl, I used to think Wesley was hot before he got all crazy.

Rosie

One Too Many
Ugggh, I can't see the trailer for some reason, my Mac is acting up. I keep hoping more brothers will get into the slacks/suspender/dressing "nicer" thing. I'm so over the boots, jeans, big shirt look. But that looks good, I'm going to have to check that out. I hope it does well at the theaters so we can get some better quality movies.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Rosie said:
I kind of find Jude Law annoying, after half watching Alfie, I kind of don't like him as an actor anymore, [huh] not sure what it is.
I know what you mean. When I saw Alfie, I lost respect and I'm not sure if it's because he came across as a philandering type guy (especially since his costar was who he cheated with while married) and then I recently saw Closer and lost even more respect. I did like his performances in Road to Redemption, AI-Artificial Intelligence, and The Aviator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari