Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Old Fashioned

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
IMO, A well-made Old Fashioned IS essentially straight whiskey - bourbon or rye - sweetened and flavored with bitters and a little orange and cherry. Soda has no place in the drink. Inclusion of Absinthe or one of the anise substitutes is venturing into Sazerac territory.

Here is a nice rendition of the Old Fashioned by the great Chris McMillian (formerly) of the Ritz-Carlton's Library Lounge in New Orleans. Contrary to Chris's take, I lightly muddle my cherries (but not the orange) because I enjoy eating the cherries and find they get a little more whiskey infusion with a light muddle. I'm planning to make my own whiskey-ed cherries but it hasn't happened yet.

All of Chris's videos from the "New Orleans' Best Cocktails" series on youtube are excellent - the Mint Julep, Sazerac, and Ramos Gin Fizz being my favorites. The prose poem Chris recites during the making of the Mint Jelup video is NOT to be missed. Sublime.

lol
I always think of the interaction between Jim Baccus, Mickey Rooney and Buddy Hackett in the movie "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" while they are flying in the twin engine plane.

Jim Baccus is knocking back Old Fashioneds like no tomorrow while flying the plane. He doesn't like how the boys are making them (too sweet) so he sits a nonqualified Buddy Hackett down in the pilot seat to fly while he goes in the back to "Make them the way mother used to maked them!"

Mickey Rooney is worried about having Buddy fly and asks, "What if something happens!"

To which Jim Baccus replies, What could happen to an Old Fashioned?!"

I need to have a good one soon.

griffer

Practically Family
I am a fan of the Old Fashioned, but also the Sazerac, Pimm's Cup, Absinthe, and Campari and soda.

I like the older, dryer drinks over the sweet, modern palate.

Wait, I guess Pimm's can be considered sweet?

Anyone had Zirben Schnapps? Or Eau de Vie?

There is an import company in NY bringing in some very interesting old flavors.
Haus Alpenz, goto the portfolio

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John in Covina said:
lol...
... Rooney is worried about having Buddy fly and asks, "What if something happens!"
To which Jim Baccus replies, "What could happen to an Old Fashioned?!"
It's all done in the Thurston Howell III voice, and of course, right about then, the plane lurches, Baccus is knocked unconscious, and neither of the other two know how to fly. I love when Hackett says, "What are you? The hostess?"

(I can quote the movie almost verbatim - it's one of my favorites.)

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Mike in Seattle said:
It's all done in the Thurston Howell III voice, and of course, right about then, the plane lurches, Baccus is knocked unconscious, and neither of the other two know how to fly. I love when Hackett says, "What are you? The hostess?"

(I can quote the movie almost verbatim - it's one of my favorites.)

Mike, if you like IAMMMMW, make a quick visit to the What's the Last Movie You Watched thread for fellow major fans of this classic.

By the way, Jim Backus' character has a similar name to Thurston Howell III: Tyler Fitzgerald.

Duster

New in Town
wildturkey8 said:
I don't know the precise recipe but they a mean old fashion at the Steak Inn restaurant at Shell Knob, Missouri deep in the Ozarks. I would venture to say that it go something like this: simple syrup, aromatic bitters, some orange squeezings and at least 2 oz. fine whiskey. I prefer bourbon but rye or scotch will do. Yes Ethan we do pride ourselves on appreciation of fine whiskey down in this neck of the woods. We consider it the Lords drink, and making it the Lords work.:D :D
Oh "The Steak Inn". Take me back. My mother-in-law lived in Shell Knob. She had a house on Table Rock. The best restaurant in Table Rock (maybe the only one). Boy for a day out on the lake and dinner at the Steak Inn.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Some Lessons from a Vacation

The whole Hood clan just returned from a family vacation cruise. Whilst on the cruise I tried several different cocktails with our dinners. The experience taught me that-

~ A real old-fashioned is a rare thing. Of the two I ordered, only one seemed like the legit item; the other had the ingredients, but was poorly assembled.

~ Henceforth, my cocktail enjoyment should be relegated to my own mixing, or to those aficianados with whom I share a love of classic imbibing.

wildturkey8

Familiar Face
Duster said:
Oh "The Steak Inn". Take me back. My mother-in-law lived in Shell Knob. She had a house on Table Rock. The best restaurant in Table Rock (maybe the only one). Boy for a day out on the lake and dinner at the Steak Inn.
Duster: It's still here. Send me a line and come on down.

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
My typical old fashioned consists of:

1 brown sugar cube in a 7oz glass
several good dashes of orange bitters
a splash of water (makes the sugar easier to dissolve)
muddle
add several fingers wild turkey 101 (probably a good 4 ounces)
add ice cubes until mixture reaches brim of glass

Keep your fruit, soda, and crushed ice away from my old fashioned.

Bustercat

A-List Customer
I've not had alot of luck getting a good old fashioned — I've sent back a few that came out tasting like weak whiskey and soda. No thanks.

Once I had one brought over with apologies from the bartender because they 'weren't sure how to make it' (it was a busy night). I think they used some grand marnier in it. It was delicious, if not an old fashioned.

In short, it's never the first drink I order in a new bar.

Bring the recepie with you.

Strange that a bar would not have a mixology book for the classic recepies!

I recall in the past that there were people (who liked a specific non-popular mixed drink) that would have the recepie printed out on cards and hand it to the waiter or bartender and say: "Make it like that!" It was cool because the bar had a printed recepie to work from and it helped spread the word on another good mixed drink.

Bustercat

A-List Customer
John in Covina said:
Strange that a bar would not have a mixology book for the classic recepies!

Yeah. Place was packed and not my choice—the kind of place that usually serves cosmos and appletinis. Maybe they were out of something or the other, or made it wrong and took a gamble I would drink it without complaint. Boy did I ever, I wish I knew what else they had done 'wrong' so i could replicate it.

I recall in the past that there were people (who liked a specific non-popular mixed drink) that would have the recepie printed out on cards and hand it to the waiter or bartender and say: "Make it like that!" It was cool because the bar had a printed recepie to work from and it helped spread the word on another good mixed drink.

not a bad idea. Though it might feel a little odd in the wrong company, giving the bar printed instructions. Almost like showing up with an iv bottle and saying, 'just pour it in here'

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
Ahhh, one of my faves. I had the opportunity to partake over Christmas at my mister's mum's house and as it turns out, the Old Fashioned and the Manhattan were her parents' two favorite drinks, which made me smile. She happened to be out of bitters, but here's what I wangled together anyway:

In a double Old Fashioned glass, muddle together:
a squeeze of lemon
splash of water
about a teaspoon of sugar
Add 2 oz. Ancient Ancient Age bourbon and roundabout a teaspoon of maraschino cherry juice. Fill halfway with ice, stir well and drop in two cherries.

It was absolutely primo, though on reflection I should have added a squeeze of fresh orange juice, too. And having the bitters would have made it even better.

Bustercat said:
Not a bad idea. Though it might feel a little odd in the wrong company, giving the bar printed instructions. Almost like showing up with an iv bottle and saying, 'just pour it in here'

It's all in the "spirit" ;) in which it is given. In LA the price of a mixed drink at an upscale bar is bordering on the obscene and as far as I am concerned for what they are charging they should get it right. For a smartass bartender that thinks he knows it all, it puts them in their place, for a nice bartender you have helped add to their knowledge, which should be seen as the old Win-Win situation, they learn and you get what you wanted too.

Mickey D

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
lol
I always think of the interaction between Jim Baccus, Mickey Rooney and Buddy Hackett in the movie "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" while they are flying in the twin engine plane.

Jim Baccus is knocking back Old Fashioneds like no tomorrow while flying the plane. He doesn't like how the boys are making them (too sweet) so he sits a nonqualified Buddy Hackett down in the pilot seat to fly while he goes in the back to "Make them the way mother used to maked them!"

Mickey Rooney is worried about having Buddy fly and asks, "What if something happens!"

To which Jim Baccus replies, What could happen to an Old Fashioned?!"

I need to have a good one soon.

Bwaahhhhh. I think of the same scene everytime I hear of an Old Fashioned.
Here you go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i415QwSj0Og&feature=related

My 2nd favorite scene is Sylvester....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO5gKgjzsFw&feature=related

BenMartin

New in Town
Old Fashions

I'm with you....my last one was 4 years ago with an old friend in a nice quiet bar in the old downtown section of Hammond, LA.
Sadly, the bar is gone and a "college" establishment is in its place.
I remember that moment, good conversation and a good drink.

There used to be some great hotel bars in New Orleans but, that was a long time ago also. It has gotten too dangerous to go exploring anymore....

Fedoration

New in Town
I do like a good Old Fashioned every now and then. I take mine with soda to add just a little sparkle but that is all personal taste. The IBA recipe made with rye whiskey is my preference, here it is:
Ingrediënts:
4.0 cl rye whiskey
1 sugar cube
2 dashes of Angosture bitters
1 splash of soda water
Place the sugar cube in an old fashioned glass and saturate it with the bitters, then add a dash of soda water. Muddle until the sugar dissolves. fill the glass with ice cubes and add whiskey. Garnish with orange slice, lemon twist and two maraschino cherries.

There are off course many varieties possible. But that is the great thing with cocktails, you can always find a variety that you like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred