Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Old Fashioned

wildturkey8

Familiar Face
Adcurium said:
Has anyone made an Old Fashioned with Crown Royal? I might have to post this inquiry on every cocktail thread on the board.

God, I love Crown Royal.

God, I love cocktails.
Crown Royal would be excellent. The Old Fashioned was originally made with rye and Canadian Whisky is predominantly rye mixed with other grain whisky. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
I tried a New Orleans-style "sazerac" for the first time recently and enjoyed it - though it was from a San Francisco cocktail bar on Haight, not in Louisiana.

Most Old-Fashioned's I've had have been too sweet for me, though it hasn't stopped me from making my own at home. Usually I lean more towards Manhattans than Old-Fashioneds when I'm the one mixing, though.

A similar drink I've loved recently is "An American Trilogy", which is - I believe - Bourbon, Applejack and Orange Bitters, which tastes like an extra-fragrant version of the Old-Fashioned. I would recommend anyone try it. If you're in Los Angeles, The Varnish makes a tasty one.

In regards to Manhattans, Old-Fashioneds and [insert any whiskey cocktail], I almost always prefer Rye. I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that Sazerac and Old Overholt tend to cost less than most bourbons and scotches.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Jack Scorpion said:
I tried a New Orleans-style "sazerac" for the first time recently and enjoyed it - though it was from a San Francisco cocktail bar on Haight, not in Louisiana.

Most Old-Fashioned's I've had have been too sweet for me, though it hasn't stopped me from making my own at home. Usually I lean more towards Manhattans than Old-Fashioneds when I'm the one mixing, though.

A similar drink I've loved recently is "An American Trilogy", which is - I believe - Bourbon, Applejack and Orange Bitters, which tastes like an extra-fragrant version of the Old-Fashioned. I would recommend anyone try it. If you're in Los Angeles, The Varnish makes a tasty one.

In regards to Manhattans, Old-Fashioneds and [insert any whiskey cocktail], I almost always prefer Rye. I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that Sazerac and Old Overholt tend to cost less than most bourbons and scotches.

So the selection is economic not alchoholic...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred