Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ones that got away

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh, I give nasty ratings when that happens.

You just charged me $10, eBay fee/Pay Pal fee free, so you can ship my package for $3.50 in nasty used packing material. Oh no :rage:

Like right now I want to bid on a catalog and they want $10 to ship it. I contacted them and said it wont cost that much, and that when I bid, I bid to win but Im not paying $10 to ship something that should cost $4.

*sigh* Im going for a walk.

LD

Shirin

A-List Customer
I know many people are charging too much for shipping. I think the reason is because the eBay fees take away from their "profit" so they add quite a bit more to the shipping to try and make up for it. People say, well then charge more for the item to begin with. Here's where another problem comes in because it ups the insertion fee. Also, the number of potential bidders decreases as the price goes higher (depending on the item of course). I'm not agreeing with the practice at all, but if I see an item I want for buy it now $5 with free ship OR 99 cents buy it now, with $4 ship, either way I pay the same at which point, I read ALL the feedback from both sellers. You'll see sometimes even when someone gave a positive review, there's still negativity in the response.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
We can partially blame our post office for that. When I price shipping I'm absolutely appalled at what they're charging for international shipping. And with them raising prices every year it's getting really ridiculous. I can't imagine buying stuff from the US- with the crazy shipping prices and customs charges it must really suck.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Lauren said:
We can partially blame our post office for that. When I price shipping I'm absolutely appalled at what they're charging for international shipping. And with them raising prices every year it's getting really ridiculous. I can't imagine buying stuff from the US- with the crazy shipping prices and customs charges it must really suck.

Yes, and then we U.S. eBay sellers get bad feedback ratings about our shipping fees. It isn't our fault -- the U.S. Postal Service is the one to blame.

I strongly suspect that eBay offers buyers the chance to criticize our shipping fees so that it (eBay) can charge us higher selling fees. (Yes, it's true: sellers with less than perfect feedback scores are charged MORE by eBay.)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I cant blame it all on USPS.
We have some of the cheapest, most reliable postal rates in the world. Sure, its no where near perfect, but I have a relativity low chance of having a package/letter lost in the US. Global...thats another story.

I mean the people who actively want to add padding to the postal fee for the envelope, for the effort it takes to get up, walk out the door and put it in the mail, etc. In some cases as much as a 10% markup.

When I sell stuff, its for the price to SHIP the item, as it should be, because the purchase of the actual item coincides with everything else.

And the other ladies are right, these sellers miss out on buyers who bid to win.

*Im just on a ranting bonanza lately* :eek:

LD

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
No, makes sense. Sometimes I do add a little bit- say I'm selling a pattern for $3 and I'm shipping it first class. I'd have to buy a padded envelope, so I'll add a bit for my material, cause after you add up $1x how many patterns you're selling, it sucks. :eusa_doh: But a whole lot of markup for something light is really lame, I agree.

Foofoogal

Banned

I totally agree. When they not only went up but took away everything but flat rate boxes it seems things got wonky for sure. I ship every single thing by Priority unless someone ask me. With delivery confirmation. If over $20.00 insurance. I definitely have eaten shipping more than I have overcharged. It is nearly impossible to quote exact shipping on items till the item is bought. Shipping out to the West in USA cost more to the east. If I sold one type of vintage it may be easier but not for glass and such. Shipping overseas is outrageous.
I can really get on a tangent about this as I have only had one item get broken since selling online since 2002 and it was a 100 year old plate at Christmas. They must of drop kicked it. I will not not properly pack an item to save $1.00.
http://www.sandysfancypants.blogspot.com

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Thing is, when it is something as small and light as a slip or blouse, I know full well that the USPO don't charge, say, $24 to ship to the UK, as I have bought plenty from the US in the past. I don't mind that someone has to pay for an envelope or so and add that. It might cost about $12 for all that.

I always sweetly ask them before I bid if they find the cost is much lower than quoted, will they refund me the difference? Usually sellers are nice enough to say yes, then if I win I get a much lower cost. But it IS off putting to see the high price in the listing and I'm sure many people feel the same as me and don't bid.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
There was a killer 40s peach-nude solid rayon crepe 40s dress on EvilBay that I forgot about it being on my watch list the other day. The details on this dress were gorgeous, very classic golden era. The time ran out with my not remembering about it to bid, and it was even my measurements- DARN!!

I'm going to have to try to track down solid rayon crepe fabric, or use silk crepe fabric and have my deco seamstress replicate it for me;) .

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Miss Sis said:
I always sweetly ask them before I bid if they find the cost is much lower than quoted, will they refund me the difference? Usually sellers are nice enough to say yes, then if I win I get a much lower cost. But it IS off putting to see the high price in the listing and I'm sure many people feel the same as me and don't bid.

I just paid $12 (almost the purchase price) for a shipment of buttons. I contacted the seller like 5 times asking for a re-quote on the shipping, because they were sending it without the shoe box they were stored in, and they are charging me the same price, parcel post! :rage:

Those buttons better be packaged in 6 ft of bubble wrap when they get to me.

LD

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm always sort of glad when things I want go for WAY more than I was willing to pay. This went for $130:
dsp_jun_29_245.jpg
dsp_jun_29_243.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Missed this swimsuit that only went for $12!!! I couldn't access esnipe on my cellphone and didn't make it home in time to bid *sob*

!BVqeqlwBGk~$(KGrHgoOKjcEjlLmYdDjBKTnvee+Z!~~_12.JPG

got outbid on this great mexican print skirt.

!BV)CdQ!!mk~$(KGrHgoH-CMEjlLl0rDjBKUOlgH)u!~~_1.JPG

ended early w/ BIN

!BV0Q!!gB2k~$(KGrHgoH-CYEjlLl8jjFBKUeQ1WPFQ~~_1.JPG

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lady Day said:
I just paid $12 (almost the purchase price) for a shipment of buttons. I contacted the seller like 5 times asking for a re-quote on the shipping, because they were sending it without the shoe box they were stored in, and they are charging me the same price, parcel post! :rage:

Those buttons better be packaged in 6 ft of bubble wrap when they get to me.

LD

Out of curiousity, what type of feedback do you leave when a seller overcharges you for shipping but the item is correct/as describes?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
First I Contact the seller, letting them know my gripe, if they dont opt to make amends, but the item is as described, Ill leave a 'positive' but Ill wreck their star rating and write in why in the description area.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic