Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Over Medium Egg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure whether the North Americans have them, but does anybody else love scotch eggs? One of the best things on a picnic IMHO ;)

Candied violets

New in Town
sweetfrancaise said:
No, I do not want an infusion of mint-vanilla-and-lavender. If I wanted perfume, I would bring some with me. And, please, no honey or lemon. I'd love milk and sugar, and it would be very nice not to get a weird look from the waiter when I ask for them!

I agree. There is a pitiful selection of teas at most restaurants and most of them are flavoured. It's not even that I dislike flavoured teas, they have their place, but most of the flavours go horribly with milk and sugar. If I wanted mint or lavender I'd order a tisane, not a tea. I don't understand it, aren't milk and sugar fairly common complements to tea?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
If you like A-1, you'll LOVE Peter Luger Steak Sauce. Only avaiable around New York, I believe. It requires refrigeration, so you can imagine what kind of fresh perishable ingrediants it has. I've never tried in on eggs, but now that you mention it, it might be good. Has anyone mentioned yet that great great lumberjack breakfast, steak and eggs? That'll get you started good! My brother, when he worked outdoors, used to have that, plus a couple slices of fried mush.

alphy27

One of the Regulars
Idledame said:
Alphy 27-why chickens? Probably because they are a heck of alot easier to raise than crocodiles! Actually, if you have ducks, geese, peacocks (oops make that peahens) you end up eating their eggs, though the goose eggs are huge. These are all birds that lay eggs where you can get to them without climbing trees or cliffs. Chickens must be cheaper to raise. And warbaby, I read your recipe and then checked your origins. The only time I've had eggs like that was in England-(well without the caviar) Do other countries take a healthy egg and load it with fat? (But they are the best scrambled eggs ever)

Makes sense to me. I'm a very experimental eater and always game for new foods. I'll let you know how the crocodile eggs turn out.

Josephine

One Too Many
Smithy said:
I'm not sure whether the North Americans have them, but does anybody else love scotch eggs? One of the best things on a picnic IMHO ;)

Do you mean a hard boiled egg, wrapped in sausage meat, and then deep fried?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Josephine said:
Do you mean a hard boiled egg, wrapped in sausage meat, and then deep fried?

That's the stuff! Common back home for picnics and cold lunches, you can get them in the supermarket but not a patch on homemade.

Good to hear that you've got them Stateside ;)

Josephine

One Too Many
Smithy said:
That's the stuff! Common back home for picnics and cold lunches, you can get them in the supermarket but not a patch on homemade.

Good to hear that you've got them Stateside ;)

I find mine at the Maryland Renaissance Festival. A heart attack in your hand. :) I've never had one, but I hear they're good.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Josephine said:
I find mine at the Maryland Renaissance Festival. A heart attack in your hand. :) I've never had one, but I hear they're good.

Health-wise a lot of places bake them now.

I never used to buy the ones from places like Woolworths the sausage meat was always like sawdust, homemade is the only way to go.

Flivver

Practically Family
I really enjoy eggs butI often get strange looks from waitresses when I order them in a restaurant. I ask for them scrambled well done or over hard...like rubber! I don't like the gooey runny part that most people seem to savor.

Ketchup and lots of black pepper add the finishing touch!

Hard boiled eggs are good too...as long as they're well boiled. I sometimes bring these to work for lunch. I get positive comments from co-workers about how much healthier eggs are than the heavy food they're eating, but then when I put ketchup on them they just don't get it.

I learned to put ketchup on eggs when I lived in Michigan. Does anyone else do this?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I iwent through a phase when I was in my teens of eating fried egg sandwiches. I did them pretty well done, and with lots of ketchup. Something about the combination of salt and vinegar.

Haversack

One Too Many
dhermann1 wrote: "I iwent through a phase when I was in my teens of eating fried egg sandwiches. I did them pretty well done, and with lots of ketchup. Something about the combination of salt and vinegar.

Ah, the good old Egg Banjo. Favoured staple of the British Squaddie. 'Cept they prefer the yolk runny to give the true banjo effect.

Haversack.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Haversack said:
Ah, the good old Egg Banjo. Favoured staple of the British Squaddie. 'Cept they prefer the yolk runny to give the true banjo effect.

Haversack.

But no tomato sauce please. Brown sauce only on a fried egg sandwich, and preferably Daddies ;)

russa11

One of the Regulars
Yep, I love eggs. Fried, over easy, scrammbled. with bacon or hash or home fires and fried cabbage. The seem to go with anything. When your hungry you can not go wrong with eggs. Lizzie Maine I have to agree. Eggs cooked in bacon grease are the best.

olive bleu

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
I iwent through a phase when I was in my teens of eating fried egg sandwiches. I did them pretty well done, and with lots of ketchup. Something about the combination of salt and vinegar.

ooohhh baby, how i love a fried egg sandwich, and naturally, with lots of ketchup:)

otherwise..my preferred style of egg is fried hard,brown edges and all, with yolks like leather and a side of burnt bacon..just like Mother used to make:D

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Current issue of Martha Stewart's magazine has a rather well-written, poetic discussion of the egg. Photos of different chicken eggs, including a bluish one; ostrich, quail, goose, and duck eggs; recipes. Worth a look. There is a cat in my lap so I cannot fetch it and proffer an excerpt.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Never disturb the cat.

I just can't imagine eating any egg that has a runny yolk... even a firm fried egg grosses me out.

I cook them for hubby though, I make a mean huevos rancheros.

retromom712

New in Town
Smithy said:
Poached eggs are my favourite way to enjoy the humble egg.

But I am fond of soft boiled eggs dhermann, had two for brekkie today with toast soldiers. Still popular back home but very rare here.

mmmm i LOVE soft boiled eggs...so good...

olive bleu

One Too Many
another fav of mine is egg-in-a-nest..a piece of bread with a hole cut in the center, an egg broken into the hole and the whole thing fried in heaps of butter.yummy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo