Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Over Medium Egg

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
olive bleu said:
well, off the top of my head, I can't come up with anything that we newfies would have eaten, nor anything from my Scottish background..but you mentioned a resemblance to polenta and I HAVE made that .

Believe me, if i ever come that far south,and have the opportunity..I shall not deny myself the pleasure:D :D :D

AHA! I knew if I looked hard enough I would find a Newfie analog to grits: pease pottage or pease porridge, while it is likely NOT a breakfast food, it sounds quite similar just substituting yellow peas for yellow corn to be eaten w/ pork, natch'..

Lady Day said:
Oh my kindred. My granny does some mean grits. Mmmmm....grits...

LD

My gram did too, rest her soul.

olive bleu

One Too Many
Rick Blaine said:
AHA! I knew if I looked hard enough I would find a Newfie analog to grits: pease pottage or pease porridge, while it is likely NOT a breakfast food, it sounds quite similar just substituting yellow peas for yellow corn to be eaten w/ pork, natch'..

My gram did too, rest her soul.

lol Wow! you are persistent! You are SO right Mr. Blaine..i completely forgot about pease porridge! And you are right in saying it would not have been eaten for breakfast.We actually eat it as a side dish, usually with "Jiggs Dinner" aka- New England Boiled dinner.Good work!;)

Rick Blaine

olive bleu said:
lol Wow! you are persistent! You are SO right Mr. Blaine..i completely forgot about pease porridge! And you are right in saying it would not have been eaten for breakfast.We actually eat it as a side dish, usually with "Jiggs Dinner" aka- New England Boiled dinner.Good work!;)

Too much time on my hands, I suppose. Mrs. Blaine is on clinical duty which mean 12 - 14 hr. days. :(
She (who introduced me to the wonders of the soft boiled egg, BTW, so as not to stray too far :eek:fftopic: ) is from western Canuckistan (Calgary) and we have long wanted to drive up through the Maritimes in the summer but we've not yet gotten beyond the planning stages... someday, soon I hope. I was only familiar with pease porridge from the Mother Goose rhyme so researching this similarity pushed back the frontiers of my ignorance! (a frontier both broad & deep) ...it also oddly gave me an appetite for some cod tongues or boiled beef... go figure. :D

Josephine

One Too Many
Rick Blaine said:
She (who introduced me to the wonders of the soft boiled egg, BTW, so as not to stray too far :eek:fftopic: )

This thread is for anything that has to be just right or else you won't settle for it, not just eggs. So I think your "grit obsession" is on topic. ;)

Lady Day said:
So ladies and gentle-fellows of the Lounge, is there one small thing that you refuse to settle for? Something that might be flippant to another, but is a must for your enjoyment of said pleasure.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
olive bleu said:
MMMM..Cod tongues:essen:

:eek:fftopic:

I didn't know that other people ate them.

In Lofoten Norway they are a speciality, "torsketunger".

The first time I lived in Norway my fiancée's Mum announced we were having them for dinner and showed me the raw ones, and I was seriously worried. But they crumb them and fry them up in butter and they are beautiful. I look forward to them now.

Smuterella

One Too Many
Flipping a fried egg, I just don't get it....? And if you did flip it surely a white skin would form over the yolk.

Lady Day please show us a photo of your perfect egg

I am very particular about steak, its got to be medium rare, not charred on the outside, blood has to leak out

hungry now

olive bleu

One Too Many
Smithy said:
:eek:fftopic:

I didn't know that other people ate them.

In Lofoten Norway they are a speciality, "torsketunger".

The first time I lived in Norway my fianc?©e's Mum announced we were having them for dinner and showed me the raw ones, and I was seriously worried. But they crumb them and fry them up in butter and they are beautiful. I look forward to them now.

I used to work for a Norwegian family and i was amazed to find how much we had in common, particularly in the food department.For one thing i discovered that Scandanavians eat Cloudberries, which we call Bakeapples.But a lot of similarities in seafood as well. I LOVE cod tongues.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Smuterella said:
Lady Day please show us a photo of your perfect egg

omegg2.jpg
omeg.jpg

The yolk has a great flavor that comes out. Mmmm!

LD

Dr Doran

I had grits in 1988 or 1989 in Louisiana and I didn't "get" them. I mean I didn't get the idea. My only frame of reference was oatmeal. Now I understand polenta, at least, so maybe I have a slightly better conception of what the Idea of Grits is.

I'll have to try again at a respectable Southern restaurant.

Lady Day said:
omegg2.jpg
omeg.jpg

The yolk has a great flavor that comes out. Mmmm!

LD

By Golly...I agree. That's exactly the way I like em,too!
Tenderish bacon...wheat toast..Oh,'n real butter...please! Black coffee.

Mamma used to make cornmeal mush..fry it crispy around the edges...add butter and maple syrup. I still like it..if it's fried right...
HD

lillielil

Familiar Face
Lady Day, your egg looks perfect! I like mine over medium too, although I hardly ever order them that way because they never turn out right. I also like softboiled and poached, and sometimes bring hardboiled eggs for lunch. I like HP sauce on them (no ketchup!).

One thing I'm super picky about is tea. Tea bags are NOT tea. Tea bags are essentially just dust from the floor and are not fit for human consumption. I admit to being a complete tea snob, and eagerly await each Upton catalogue so that I can Oooh and Aaah over all the descriptions.

And grits - I was raised in South Carolina, but for some reason I always put maple syrup in my grits unless they were cheese grits. I like them sweet.

Dr Doran

lillielil said:
One thing I'm super picky about is tea. Tea bags are NOT tea. Tea bags are essentially just dust from the floor and are not fit for human consumption. .

I agree. Loose tea or nothing.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
Scrambled is for wimps.

Give 'em a chance ;) My dearest culinary wish is to be able to reproduce my grandma's scrambled eggs. I've done it...twice, by sheer luck I think. I'm getting closer and more consistent with the flavor, but her eggs always had a certain shape, look, and flavor that is, to me, the perfect egg. I don't know how she did it, I always watched carefully, and she didn't do anything fancy, but they were always perfect. CassD always has me cook the eggs for breakfast when we have them. I'll never get scrambled eggs at a restaurant, they're always too runny.

Behind the perfect scrambled egg, my favorite is over medium, and here we agree, they're hard to get perfect as well. But when they are, ahh...

Every now and then, when I'm wanting them for breakfast, I'll get everything ready and realize I've run out of bread, then I end up having something else. I can't eat eggs without toat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo