Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Over Medium Egg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
olive bleu said:
another fav of mine is egg-in-a-nest..a piece of bread with a hole cut in the center, an egg broken into the hole and the whole thing fried in heaps of butter.yummy.

Back home we call that "egg in a basket". Haven't had one in years. might have to get the fry pan out tomorrow!

Warbaby

One Too Many
olive bleu said:
another fav of mine is egg-in-a-nest..a piece of bread with a hole cut in the center, an egg broken into the hole and the whole thing fried in heaps of butter.yummy.

When I was a kid, they were called by the appetizing apellation, "Toad-in-a- hole".

olive bleu

One Too Many
we had a dish called toad -in-a-hole, but it involved sausages and yorkshire pudding batter.But I do think I have also heard of the egg/bread concoction referred to that as well.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
olive bleu said:
we had a dish called toad -in-a-hole, but it involved sausages and yorkshire pudding batter.But I do think I have also heard of the egg/bread concoction referred to that as well.

My dear old Mum used to make toad in the hole - always with pure pork sausies. Haven't had it for yonks.

Brought back memories of Boiled Baby and Spotted Dick as well.

Thanks Olive you took me back to my youth there.

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
I really want eggs now, and I have none in the house..

It was a running joke before I moved out of my parents house that I'd live on a diet of eggs. I love them. I do prefer a runny yolk though. Especially if I'm haing a soft boiled egg with "soldiers" (toast cut into strips) to dunk into the egg.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Medium eggs must be accompanied by toast, bacon and GRITS!
And I mean real grits, yellow-stone-ground-course-speckled grits. Grits that take 25 minuets on the stove top just as the good Lawd intended, grits. Grits that resemble nothing so much as a courser polenta. Mash your cut up eggs into the buttered, salt & peppered grits, push the whole thing onto your fork with your toast (or better yet, biscuits)... and oHHhhhhhh, pea-pickin' good! ... and if you have any left-overs you can pour them into a loaf pan & they will solidify, then you can take it out, slice it like bread and fry it up in bacon grease.... just thinking on this subject makes me think I had better double up on my Lipator today! lol

Frau

New in Town
It figures my first post is about food!

I love love love eggs. Every kind. I use ketchup on my scrambled sometimes, depending on how good they are. If they are lower quality, I'll douse them with the stuff.

I do not like the whites runny, however. Over easy is enough for me.

For a quick breakfast I make a lot of scrambles. I just throw whatever's in the fridge for veggies and meat into the skillet with the scrambled eggs and a bit of cheese. Its a good hangover breakfast, quick and easy.

Free range, organic chicken eggs are the best. We had chickens growing up and the eggs were superb! Plus they were enormous. We used to keep them in used store bought egg boxes and they wouldn't fit. We'd always get the double yolks, too!

olive bleu

One Too Many
Rick Blaine said:
Medium eggs must be accompanied by toast, bacon and GRITS!
And I mean real grits, yellow-stone-ground-course-speckled grits. Grits that take 25 minuets on the stove top just as the good Lawd intended, grits. Grits that resemble nothing so much as a courser polenta. Mash your cut up eggs into the buttered, salt & peppered grits, push the whole thing onto your fork with your toast (or better yet, biscuits)... and oHHhhhhhh, pea-pickin' good! ... and if you have any left-overs you can pour them into a loaf pan & they will solidify, then you can take it out, slice it like bread and fry it up in bacon grease.... just thinking on this subject makes me think I had better double up on my Lipator today! lol

I have never eaten grits..but somehow this sounds like something that would be up my alley:)

Josephine

One Too Many
olive bleu said:

My FIL would make those for The Kid (my The Husband). I asked The Husband "You know those bread things with the hole and the egg in the middle that your dad used to make for you? What did he call them?" The Husband said "Bread with a hole and egg in the middle. I dunno." :eusa_doh:

Men.

Josephine

One Too Many
TheKitschGoth said:
I do prefer a runny yolk though. Especially if I'm haing a soft boiled egg with "soldiers" (toast cut into strips) to dunk into the egg.

My mom would make us something like this, but she would cut the buttered toast into squares and mix up the soft/medium boiled (runny yolk, firm white) egg in with the toast, and the bread would soak up the yolk.

I can't stand egg whites though, so I boil one more egg than I have slices of toast, and toss the whites, only eating the bread and yolk. That's good eatin'. :D

Rick Blaine

olive bleu said:
I have never eaten grits..but somehow this sounds like something that would be up my alley:)
yellowgrits.gif

These are from my neck of the woods. Nora Mill Granary was built in 1876 on the banks of the Chattahoochee River, about 90 miles from my home town. The original 1500 pound, 48" stones still turn and grind the grains providing great grits aka dixie ice cream.
Olive, do not deny yourself this pleasure! I can't help but think that your Newfies must have something similar... same Scots-Irish peoples after all, eh?

dnjan

One Too Many
sweetfrancaise said:
It has to be tea. ... But that's it, really. I'll deal with (almost) everything else...
It has gotten so that I only order tea at a restaurant if I have a bit of a cold and I want something warm for my throat. Otherwise I have been disappointed so often ...

Living in a coffee town (Seattle), it is almost impossible to find a restaurant that will boil cold water for an individual customer to make tea. Instead they keep this container of "hot" water that is actually of questionable history.

So I make my own tea at home, in the morning, and do without the rest of the day.

Rick Blaine

TheKitschGoth said:
What on earth are grits? The only grit I know of is the stuff they put on the road when it snows, and I assume you dont mean you eat that..? :confused:

Why not, after you've had 'possum, raccoon & bear, what's next? :eek:
All seriousness aside though, grits are a type of corn porridge, common in the Southern United States consisting of coarsely ground corn. Hominy grits is another term for grits, but explicitly refers to grits made from nixtamalized corn, or hominy.

Yellow speckled grits are also very popular, named for it’s the black specks in its yellow body which consists of the kernels' germ and hull as well...

I have a friend from a very old Southern family of used to be Aristos. He is now a Professor in Colchester. When he first arrives he picks up a sack of what he took to be "Brit Grits" labeled "Maize Flour". Imagine his disappointment when he got it home to discover he'd just bought a kilo of Corn Starch!

MississippiLong

One of the Regulars
GRITS!!

Hominy....Corn...Oh my. I grew in the Delta of Mississippi and Grits are a staple of breakfast. From what i've seen there are two major groups of grit eaters, Salty and Sweet. I like both. Salt and Butter in the winter, Honey and Sugar in the summer. Lately I've put jalapeno juice (lightly) and cheddar cheese in them. Let them sit and harden into something I can mold, then deep fry them into cakes. layer with steak or chicken....Yum, Yum, Yum....

also, try an over easy egg sitting right on a big bowl of Chili!! wow.

as for fried egg sandwich...mayo is the way to go.

Rick Blaine

SWEET GRITS ?!?!?

MississippiLong said:
Hominy....Corn..Sweet...Honey and Sugar in the summer.

Suh,
Sweet grits are the distinction of the dreaded Northerner. (They seem to think of Grits as Malto-meal or Cream of Wheat or something...) I am afraid you may have fallen under the sway of creeping Yankee-fication, beware, before you know it your pronunciation of "car keys" and "Khakis" will be indistinguishable. As in "I left my car keys in my Khakis." ;)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Rick Blaine said:
And I mean real grits, yellow-stone-ground-course-speckled grits. Grits that take 25 minuets on the stove top just as the good Lawd intended, grits. Grits that resemble nothing so much as a courser polenta. Mash your cut up eggs into the buttered, salt & peppered grits, push the whole thing onto your fork with your toast (or better yet, biscuits)... and oHHhhhhhh, pea-pickin' good! ... and if you have any left-overs you can pour them into a loaf pan & they will solidify, then you can take it out, slice it like bread and fry it up...

Oh my kindred. My granny does some mean grits. Mmmmm....grits...

LD

olive bleu

One Too Many
Rick Blaine said:
yellowgrits.gif

These are from my neck of the woods. Nora Mill Granary was built in 1876 on the banks of the Chattahoochee River, about 90 miles from my home town. The original 1500 pound, 48" stones still turn and grind the grains providing great grits aka dixie ice cream.
Olive, do not deny yourself this pleasure! I can't help but think that your Newfies must have something similar... same Scots-Irish peoples after all, eh?

well, off the top of my head, I can't come up with anything that we newfies would have eaten, nor anything from my Scottish background..but you mentioned a resemblance to polenta and I HAVE made that .

Believe me, if i ever come that far south,and have the opportunity..I shall not deny myself the pleasure:D :D :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo