Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Palm Beach suit thread

Txmason

Familiar Face
Where can I find a Palm Beach suit in big men's size? I have a pair of palm
Beach reflex pants I love! Anyone know where I can find some pants in 56x32? Do they still make palm beach reflex pants?

Best
Jerry

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am sorry but I am rather sure you won't find something in your size and the original palm beach fabric. It would be easier to get a linen suit custom made or something like this. the originals are rare and very expensive. most of them are rather small/slim.

Chrome

One of the Regulars
I found travelling guide to Costa Rica, printed in July 1939. Would be nice to know how it ended here just before the war. Anyhow, point is to show how well known Palm Beach fabric was.
costaricawear.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I recently picked up a great Palm Beach cream double breasted dinner jacket from a fellow Lounger. It, aherrrmmm, just barely fits after my tailor moved the buttons about 3 inches. But it looks pretty sharp. Don't have any pics yet, but maybe some soon. I also picked up two Palm Beach cloth ties, one of which I've worn, very very neat. Pics soon.
Oh, yes! There's a nice single breasted, shawl collar Palm Beach cream dinner jacket, size about 39, available on Ebay. Here it is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380363365312?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

This REALLY should belong to a Lounger.

Annixter

Practically Family
I've an ironing question for the Palm Beach crowd for which I cannot find an answer no matter how extensive I use the FL search functions: what is the proper ironing method (as in heat and process) for actual vintage Palm Beach fabric. I recently acquired a pair of 1940's/50's Palm Beach trousers and don't know if I should iron them like wool or like cotton, from the inside or outside face, with an pressing cloth or no cloth, damp or dry, with or without steam, etc. Input from the pros?

I've an ironing question for the Palm Beach crowd for which I cannot find an answer no matter how extensive I use the FL search functions: what is the proper ironing method (as in heat and process) for actual vintage Palm Beach fabric. I recently acquired a pair of 1940's/50's Palm Beach trousers and don't know if I should iron them like wool or like cotton, from the inside or outside face, with an pressing cloth or no cloth, damp or dry, with or without steam, etc. Input from the pros?

Maybe this will help:
palmbeachservice.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I tossed my Palm Beach tux jacket on the ironing board, sprinled it with a little water, and set the iron to wool. It ironed up very nicely, and I never came near to scorching it. I'd suggest setting the iron at the cool end of wool, and if that's not effective, tweak it up a bit. I was delighted how easy the fabric was to iron. Keep in mind, it's a blend of cotton and wool (mohair), neither of which is as sensitive to heat as rayon or silk.

Annixter

Practically Family
Thanks for the instruction page and input gents; I spritzed the trousers with water, covered them with a pressing cloth, spritzed, and ironed with heat and steam appropriate for wool. They came out really nice with little effort.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Some wools are actually quite prone to turning shinny the same way rayon gabardines do (mohair, flannel, serge, tweed aren't though). Still, you really ought to use a pressing cloth just to be safe.

Some wools are actually quite prone to turning shinny the same way rayon gabardines do (mohair, flannel, serge, tweed aren't though). Still, you really ought to use a pressing cloth just to be safe.

Palm Beach cloth can be a quandry because it is a blend with Mohair, rayon and a few other things mixed in. I have never had them get shiny but the blend changed over the years slightly and you never know what you are dealing with unless you are really good at telling the weaves and how they changed over the years. That is a little beyond me. :D
A pressing cloth might be a good idea as a precaution. :D

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Regarding "Coolkenny" - never heard it before. But since the 1920 ad describes it as "Coolkenny Crash" I assume something wrinkly like linen. It's lower priced than Tropical worsted and Gab in the '36 ad. Maybe a cotton - linen blend.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy