Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'The Passion of the Christ'

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
I am really looking forward to this film. I saw the trailer for it at church this weekend and my eyes started welling up just from those two minutes! I'm expecting to be a blubbering mess by the end of the film.

Is anyone else excited about this film?

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
I am not sure if excited is the emotion I feel....but I am looking forward to seeing it.....and the response from it. I don't think people will be able to be so casual about Christ after seeing it. I believe it will cause a reaction.....one way or another.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, I am wanting to see it but it may be awhile since I've got too much on my plate. Although, I'm hoping my aunt can persuade my non-believing uncle to go. I am hoping it will have a life-changing impact on him, but he's a hard one to drag to a theater.

Simon Templar

New in Town
Daryl,

Using all four Gospels as his basis, Gibson's film will protray the last 12 hours of Jesus's life. It is descirbed by most as graphic and violent. It is described by Mel as realistic. All the dialog is in Latin and Aremaic with English subtitles.

I agree with the rest of you I too am looking forward to seeing this film.

Regards,
saintsig.jpg

indiana

New in Town
Hey, for all of you who have seen this movie... (or are going to) pay close attention to the preview for the movie madison, the one with the race boats in it... It was filmed where I live. They wrapped up production here back in 2000 (or 99) and theyre just now getting around to getting it out.

farnham54

A-List Customer
I've seen it this past weekend, and despite a rather unenjoyable experience at the opening of the film, I thought it was very well done.

I've read the bible several times and do belive in god, though I wouldn't describe myself as devoted--in fact I think I'm barely even christian. I saw the film from a historical perspective, and for that it gets top marks.

However, i am always trying to understand (which is the reason for my unpleasant opening experience--however unless you guys actually want to hear it I won't bother filling you in) and I was baptised and confirmed Anglican--Point is, I have read the bible several times. I had an idea of the suffering that Christ went through from the reading. I knew what Crucifiction was from studying history. I knew that human life was much less valuable back then compared with now, and I knew that the last 12 horus of the life of Christ was horrible to say the least.

And so I was glad that the movie was, based on the reading I had done on the time and the topic before, just what I expected. Mel didn't do any over the top Kill Bill-esque gore and violence. The movie portrayed Christ's torture and crucifiction just as it would have been.

That is not to say it wasn't very, very horrible for Christ to experience. I'm just saying I am glad that Mel did it RIGHT, not over the top or sub-par.

Regards,

Craig

ITG

Call Me a Cab
The thing that amazes me is that God would come down to earth in the form of his son (Jesus) and offer himself as a sacrifice for his chosen ones. I feel blessed and unworthy at the same time to have received such an amazing, sacrificial gift not based on my own merit or works. I know the pain Jesus incurred was painful as the flesh-eating whips must have hurt badly (I've hit myself accidentally a few times with my whips and OUCH! it hurt...but the whips with hooks used on Jesus would be 1000x worse.)

farnham54

A-List Customer
Yes, Ren, I believe you are right. As I said in those PM's we exchanged, I've been far to lucky throughout my life, things have worked out just right way to often for it to be chance. Someone or something is looking out for all of us I think.

Regards,
Craig

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Originally posted by ITG
The thing that amazes me is that God would come down to earth in the form of his son (Jesus) and offer himself as a sacrifice for his chosen ones. I feel blessed and unworthy at the same time to have received such an amazing, sacrificial gift not based on my own merit or works.

That is what the scriptures said and the Proophets spoke of.

Was it easy for those who lived at that time? Changing an entire way of life, socially, spiritually, and politically?

Maybe we today have an easier time of acceptance of "the Word" in that we rely on what was taught to us, and what we rely on: FAITH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21