Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Penney's Marathon

LOL, man you got some beautiful hats for sure. Can't wait til you get tired of a few more of them. Did you try on that 20 while you had it. The 7 5/8 LO fit me perfect.

Sure I did. I had to center the pinch aligned with my nose...so if it is a little off, there you go!
You'll have to get this 'Seabiscuit" Marathon from the executive of my estate. ;)

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
JPM-2.jpg

AMAZING Marathon, Jimmy!!! Its beautiful in every way. Is that logo a 30's Marathon Logo, or 40's?

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I saw this Marathon as a BIN at an odd time of the night and grabbed it.

A little dirty, but it is cleaning up quite nicely. Cool logo in the liner.

D329480-L.jpg

D329486-L.jpg

D329489-L.jpg

D329479-L.jpg

D329455-L.jpg

A nice hat with good quality felt and it is very comfortable to wear.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
AMAZING Marathon, Jimmy!!! Its beautiful in every way. Is that logo a 30's Marathon Logo, or 40's?

Thanks, Josh! I only now saw your post. :eek: I'm not familiar enough with Marathon logos to venture a guess on the date, but perhaps there are some more knowledgeable folks around on that topic who could offer an opinion.

Cheers,
JtL

MikePotts

Practically Family
Fort Worth Marathon.......

........no, no, not that one!

This one:

P1010075-1.jpg

P1010074-1.jpg

Just returned from Peters Bros. after a sympathetic renovation. No trace that it was ever a J.C.Penney's hat...I'll just have to trust me :rolleyes:

Very nice (and quick!) job by Peters Bros, here's a 'before' shot:

P1010040.jpg

I'm now invested in it about twice what it will ever be worth.....but it's still my favourite hat ;)

MP

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Looks like they did a great job as they ALWAYS do!! I've got two of my fathers' hats in for complete rebuilds. They should be ready soon! Old faves ALWAYS have more value than they are worth in $s :)

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1930's Pennys Marathon Homburg

This Marathon is really interesting. It has the original basting stitches on the ribbon and a very unique sweatband. I believe Robert posted a hat recently with the same sweatband.

Original auction photos:

1930sMarathonHomburg1.jpg

1930sMarathonHomburg2.jpg

After some steaming and brushing:

DSC06714.jpg

DSC06716.jpg

DSC06718.jpg

DSC06715.jpg

DSC06719.jpg

DSC06720.jpg

DSC06726.jpg

DSC06729.jpg

mdove

Familiar Face
I just got back from a bit of shopping. Picked up a Penny Marathon, complete with box, 7 1/4 for the price of...........................................2.87....that's right 2.87. Purchased it at local goodwill. Then I went over to another thrift store looking for a trench. I saw one I really liked, but some one was wearing it. London Fog Khaki with liner, belt missing. I talked to the guy and walked out of the store with it for......10.00. This was my first day of looking for stuff but think I really did well. Wash the coat and I will be good to go. My hat came in a Cavanaugh Hat box. It looks nice and clean....like it was stored in the box for ?? long.

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Josh, are you sure that's the same hat? :D

Beautiful redo, along with your "30's" lid in the conversion thread. You could have a side job, you know . . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic