Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Perfect Safari Hat

Mike K.

One Too Many
For some time now, I have been on a mission to find the perfect safari hat. There were two important requirements for this hat: color and brim size. I wanted a hat with a light greenish-tan color, a true khaki. Most fedoras out there today are a very dark green or a very plain brown. :eusa_doh: Until recently, the only hat that came close to my required color was the Akubra Military Slouch Hat. Next, I needed a hat with a 3" brim for adequate sun protection. Two and one-half inches seems to be the standard size, but this was too small. :eusa_doh: The Akubra military hat’s brim was too big for me, but I figured the brim could always be trimmed smaller. Until now, I have been getting by with a Purdey bush hat…a nice hat, but just not quite what I’ve been searching for.

Well, my quest is finally over!! :D From www.walkabout.com I ordered the Akubra Riverina hat in khaki, a true greenish-tan, with a 3" brim. Upon receipt of my new hat I first proceeded to put a tighter pinch in the crown. Next I removed the leather rope-like band so I could put on a puggaree instead. For the puggaree I used 1" wide herringbone twill cotton ribbon. The twill ribbon was a natural color cotton so I needed to dye it khaki so it wouldn’t look as white against the color of the hat. I used a traditional English tea dye to achieve the appropriate khaki color (call me a romantic:)). The final step was to wrap the puggaree.

Here is the finished product (along with other field gear)
image33.jpg

image22.jpg

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Great looking field hat. It will serve you well.

Mike, I would really like to know how you made the puggaree band. Would you have time to post a lesson on how you do this? Or perhaps you could suggest a website with a good description of how this is done.

oswulf

New in Town
Sweet!!! Would you believe I spent a year in Australia and managed to come home Akubra-less? Must be a sin of some sort. I might just have to atone soon with one of these.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mike, that is awesome! You'll have to post some followup pics as it starts to break in and gain all that great field character. In the meantime, how about a couple shots of you at work in the new lid?

That puggaree looks great in that twill, too. That has given me some ideas. I'm still looking for a good field hat, and even though straw just doesn't hold up well, it is still probably the best solution for out here. The other problem is, I can't find one with a band I like. That puggaree would work perfectly! I'd really like to find one with that general shape and brim dimensions, too. The search is on!

Oh, and tell me about that compass!

Good show!

art92101

One of the Regulars
Good going!

Great job there/ I might just try it with a heavier dose of tea. Perhaps leave some earl grey out for the night then use that for my pugaree as an overnight dye.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
That is one awe-inspiring hat, Sir! Job well done!
Looks like something that would pass muster with Stewart Granger;) !

Mike K.

One Too Many
Thanks for all the compliments my friends! Overall, the most difficult part (except finding the right hat) was finishing off the puggaree band. I can't think how many times I had to re-wrap in order to center the band just right and tuck the end piece tight. I picked up the cotton twill ribbon at a local craft store. As for the compass, it was purchased on ebay (search brass military/engineering compass). I'll be bushwacking through the deep swamps all day tomorrow, but will try to get some photos of me in action posted within the next week or so.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
That really did come out nice. I don't believe I've ever seen that particular Akubra before. They'd probably sell more if they modified it to look like yours.

BTW, do you need any extra safari jackets or photographers vests? I got a couple extra I'm not wearing much. Most are large size, one a medium.

fedoralover

Rafter

Suspended
Watz up dog20!!!
That hat is jivin' and would look good on any slick dome.
But would probably look best on me, .....the great defender!!!
:cheers1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner