Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Perfect Safari Hat

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I am pleased to report that the sweatband in my Riverina is apparently much better than the sweatband in my Flinders.

We are hitting the mid- to high-seventies this week, and we took about a six mile stroll through the desert yesterday, doing a quick survey. It was warm enough to cause me to sweat in the midday desert sun, but not excessively. Nonetheless, from past experience I know that sweat would have built up between my sweatband and my forehead in my Flinders, and when I shifted it or removed it the sweat would pour into my eyes. Well, my Riverina does no such thing!

So thanks again, Mike, for a recommendation on a great hat! Tonight I plan to do the lineradectomy, and that should help for the remainder of the felt weather.

carldelo

One Too Many
Nice Riverina to Safari conversion

I especially like the bound edge on your safari conversion, as well as the pug. The color reminded me of a Christy's Foldaway Fedora in a khaki color - took a while but I found it again - the color is called Burma:
http://www.villagehatshop.com/christys_foldaway_fedora.html
A little pricey, and no bound edge, and probably not as durable as the Akubra, but Christy's are nice quality so it might make a nice 'dress safari', if there is such a thing. Oh, and it comes with an open crown for custom bashing...

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I really like the bound edge, too, which is one reason I chose the Riverian over the Angler. Both very similar hats, but the Angler has a slightly upturned brim on the sides, giving it a little more western look, and a raw edge.

I also performed the lineradectomy last night, and the grommets did not prove to be a problem at all. The liner came right off of them, without leaving bits of shredded satin stuck to them. Left little strips of glue under the sweatband, which my OCD would barely let me leave there, but otherwise it was about a 2-minute operation.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Highlander said:
LINK APPEARS TO BE BROKEN...OH NO... Someone please find a way to repost :) In need my Puggaree.
It has been done already. Try searching posts in the hat forum for puggaree, Riverina, etc. You'll find it. ;)

portolan

A-List Customer
I bought a Riverina from Philly and a Puggaree band

from Australia....great combination. I really enjoy it very much. Am wearing my Campdraft on my way tonight from Tampa to San Diego. Awesome hat!

Been very busy lately. Good to be back.

Mike K.

One Too Many
New Safari Hat Teaser

Coming soon to a Fedora Lounge event near you:

safarihat.jpg

What...you didn't really expect me to show more of this project did you?! lol
All the details and step-by-step conversion photos will be on the way.
This will replace the old Akubra Riverina hat! :eek:
Stay tuned....

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
I await with bated breath.

Speaking of safari hats...

When I was a kid, I had an Akubra Military Slouch (we called them Campaign or Aussie Bush Hats back then). I was up in the attic and found a genuine leopard skin belt that my mom had once worn. It took me about a nanosecond to picture it as the band on my Campaign Hat, and my mother was totally OK with it.

She had been a true wasp waist in her modeling days, and I simply wrapped the belt over the puggaree. The leopard skin belt was just wide enough to hide the pug, and as for length, it could not have fit more perfectly had it been made for that hat: The belt fastened together flush end-to-end with two brass hooks into a leather under-tab just as it did around her tiny waist.

Now, that, my friends, was a Safari Hat!

I outgrew that probably 6 3/4 hat by the time I was in my mid-teens, but it occupied a special place on my top shelf. Years later, my mom, curiously, asked for the belt back, and I have not seen it since.

I still have the hat, but without the leopard, it's just a plain-Jane Slouch. Just as well, I suppose, for if anyone were to wear it publicly tricked out in big-meow form, they'd likely be shot for political incorrectness. (The belt was made in the late 1940s when leopards were plentiful and no one regarded wearing animal fur as the least bit controversial.)

There are some old film photos of me in that hat somewhere I really must find and scan into digital format.

J.B.

Practically Family
Mike K. said:
New Safari Hat Teaser...All the details and step-by-step conversion photos will be on the way.
Stay tuned....

Hey Mike K. -- I can't find any newer info on this?!

...Any updates?? Many Thanks! :)

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
I guess I can post a pic of my converted Akubra Kokoda in this thread as well - still working with the pinch, though - doesn't want to keep to the shape I've chosen for it (I guess I'll have to resort to steam).

2010_7_May270b.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Yes, steam. I shaped (or reshaped) all of my Akubras very easily after simply holding the hat over the steam coming out of the kettle while it boiled. Always held their shape after that.

Boodles

A-List Customer
Looking good Mr. Wolfwood.

As Mr. Edward already said, a little steam will do it. I use my tea kettle.

Wolfwood said:
I guess I can post a pic of my converted Akubra Kokoda in this thread as well - still working with the pinch, though - doesn't want to keep to the shape I've chosen for it (I guess I'll have to resort to steam).

2010_7_May270b.jpg

Boodles

A-List Customer
Mike K, sir. We're waiting!

My Riverina ended up too big anyway so.....

Mike K. said:
New Safari Hat Teaser

Coming soon to a Fedora Lounge event near you:

safarihat.jpg

What...you didn't really expect me to show more of this project did you?! lol
All the details and step-by-step conversion photos will be on the way.
Stay tuned....

Boodles

A-List Customer
Most excellent, thanks Mr. K

Wonderful! Worth the wait. Thanks for taking time to add all the photos.

I did not expect the new version to be re-worked so much but it's easy to see why you did it. This new hat seems to be the ticket. Many of the faults you found with the Riverina were also problems for me, especially that "sweaty" sweatband. I really dislike that thing. Woodfluter's very good explanation of the composition of the band is probably right on, mine looks like his, but it's still a dog on my head.

Do you think there is there a chance in the world of getting Art to re-work the brim and sweatband on another one? That brim binding must be a pain to replace.

Mike K. said:
Here it is Boodles!

DUKE NUKEM

One of the Regulars
I found this thread on a goggle search.

These are a couple great avitar pics. Look like right out of a 1950's movie.
I having B-J hats make the wife and I similiar hats.

SafariAvatar.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner