Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Phantom

gobler

One of the Regulars
Heck no! I like it as well. Great looking flick, not to mention that I worked on it;)

Cheers,
Jeff

PS my friends brother inlaw works over at the studio and Billy was in ther after it was wrapped and just ave him THE ring right off his own finger. It's very cool looking.

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
I've got this flick on DVD I like it so much! Fun action/adventure, neat color palette, a 1930's setting with old cars, planes, suits, hats, etc., heroes/villains and an exciting score. What's not to like? Notice how the head thug in the beginning is dressed very much like Indy as he raids the tomb. His gear is very cool.

I'd very much like to see a sequel.

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
I don't know. The very idea of the Phantom, A guy running around in the jungle wearing a purple jumpsuit, jackboots and a mask always semed kind've silly to me. It makes about as much sense as a guy running around in the jungle (or the Sahara desert) wearing a leather jacket and a fur-felt hat!;)
The movie did have some cool elements from the era though. One thing that always bugged me though is that they used the same floatplane @ the end that was crashed into the mountain after the "jump from the plane to the horse" stunt.
PBG

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
Originally posted by PrettyBigGuy
I don't know. The very idea of the Phantom, A guy running around in the jungle wearing a purple jumpsuit, jackboots and a mask always semed kind've silly to me.

Awww, come on, PBG. Where is your sense of fun? ;) It's no different than a billionaire dressing up as a bat and running around the city at night. It's all symbolism. Superheroes are just the modern age equivalent of Beowulf and Hercules.

Originally posted by PrettyBigGuy One thing that always bugged me though is that they used the same floatplane @ the end that was crashed into the mountain after the "jump from the plane to the horse" stunt.
PBG [/B]

I hate to argue this point but I'm a geek so I can't help it. Catherine Zeta-Jones' character was the leader of a group of all women aviators who all flew that same type of sea plane. The plane at the end was just another one of their fleet. (Makes sense for the story and budget!) :cool:

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I hate to argue this point but I'm a geek so I can't help it. Catherine Zeta-Jones' character was the leader of a group of all women aviators who all flew that same type of sea plane. The plane at the end was just another one of their fleet. (Makes sense for the story and budget!)

That logic of yours blew my 'what's your point' arguement out of the water.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Folks, better go back and watch it again. The float plane crashed into the mountain was a two seater open cockpit...the float plane they flew at the end to the island was a 4 seater closed cockpit...completely different planes. Regards. Michaelson

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
Originally posted by Michaelson
Folks, better go back and watch it again. The float plane crashed into the mountain was a two seater open cockpit...the float plane they flew at the end to the island was a 4 seater closed cockpit...completely different planes. Regards. Michaelson

Damn, I really thought I had something there. Leave it to Michaelson to come along and blow MY "logic" out of the water with facts. It figures. ;)

Good catch, Mark!

Michaelson

One Too Many
Well, I 'fess up. If I didn't videotape aviation systems classes day in and day out, I wouldn't have even paid any attention to them, but since I do, they sort of 'jumped out at me', kind of like the two trucks they used at the beginning of the movie...the Chevy and the Ford. Regards. Michaelson

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I just found this thread about "The Phantom".
I'm a year late but I'm here.
I think this is a great film: the look, the adventure, the genuinely good hero, etc.
My favorite scene is the one where the Phantom goes down the elevator cables as the elevator car is coming down on him. He kicks the toggle to open the doors, throws his guns from his hands, rolls through picking up his guns on the way. It is not only thrilling but if you pause it when the elevator is upon him, it is like a serial. I always the imagine the "seaplane crash" scene as a cliffhanger: The Phantom and Diana are on the plane, it is heading toward the mountain and crashes into a fireball; end of chapter, next chapter, they head toward the mountain, Hero (the horse) comes under them, they drop onto its back and the plane crashes into a fireball.
The only part I didn't like was the laser between the ring and skulls.

Jake

One of the Regulars
Seaplanes of the Phantom

I also liked the movie, mainly for its period appeal. I was reading the comments about the seaplanes in the movie and I agree with Edge about the squadron of red floatplanes. Also, the plane they used to fly to the Island was a Beech 18 on floats. As a side note, as they were leaving the harbor in the Beech 18, did anyone notice the 1936 Fleetwings Seabird also floating in the harbor? It's a single engine seaplane covered in stainless steel and is the only copy left flying in the world.

Mycroft

One Too Many
I also like that movie and all the 30's props and aspects. It reminds me of the early pulp comic heros, i.e. Zorro, Batman, Sandman, the Shadow, and others. It is a good movie that is not always reconized like the Rocketter (forgive the spelling).

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I just love the look.
jar-313618-359x240-e.jpg

Michaelson

One Too Many
It was shown on the USA channel a couple of weeks ago, and I enjoyed watching it as much as ever. As silly as folks think the concept is, as well as there have been better movies made, if you find yourself sitting down to watch a movie that you've seen dozens of times, even though you know just about all the shots and how it will end, it's a pretty good movie. At least that's my opinion. Heck, I can't tell you how many time's I've been channel surfing and come across one of the Mummy movies, only to stop my surfing and watch it....again. :rolleyes: The Phantom and the Shadow falls in the same category for me. Regards. Michaelson

Merlin

Familiar Face
jamespowers said:
Ohh! The Shadow. Don't get me started on that. Hahahahahha!
It is the only thing I can stand that Baldwin did. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Aw, c'mon, The Hunt for Red October and Glengarry Glen Ross were fantastic flicks. But other than that, yeah, I think we're on the same page.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy