Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Phantom

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I liked the movie and was always disappointed that a sequal was never done.
Sigh.gif

Mycroft

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
A sequel? Of course! There were too many loose ends left by that movie. Some people need to get together and put that thing in the can before the original stars get too old to make the sequel.

Regards to all,

J

How true, but they really need to get a more complex plot too.

Michaelson

One Too Many
I'd be VERY surprised if that happened. The studios look at the bottom line, and though we enjoyed the movie, it lost a LOT of money in the theaters. Without a strong showing there, the possibility of them picking up the option to do a second movie is probably slim to none on the Phantom (and I sure hope I'm wrong...but I doubt it.) To many years have passed, and there has been absolutely NO talk, gossip or otherwise, that would lead one to think this would occur. This is USUALLY the case when it's a movie I liked....that, and the Shadow!:(

Regards! Michaelson

Mycroft

One Too Many
Michaelson said:
I'd be VERY surprised if that happened. The studios look at the bottom line, and though we enjoyed the movie, it lost a LOT of money in the theaters. Without a strong showing there, the possibility of them picking up the option to do a second movie is probably slim to none on the Phantom (and I sure hope I'm wrong...but I doubt it.) To many years have passed, and there has been absolutely NO talk, gossip or otherwise, that would lead one to think this would occur. This is USUALLY the case when it's a movie I liked....that, and the Shadow!:(

Regards! Michaelson

The Shadow was on this weekend and it is a sweet film. But, man I love both of those so much.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
A few years ago there was talk about a new Phantom film. It was to based on the classic comic but brought up to date. So, you'd still have that fine purple leotard, or something similiar, but no cool clothes, hats, cars, or sets. I'm not feeling the magic in that.

Where does the Rocketeer fit into this? A lot of you love The Phantom and The Shadow, but what about The Rocketeer, that other big period comic book money pit of the 90s?

P.S. Does anybody know if The Shadow is available in a widescreen version? The dvd is full screen and, really, why watch the thing except for all that luscious art direction. I'm not needing the close ups of Tim Curry, thanks all the same.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Also a fan of all those movies

I like the bright clean look of New York in "The Phantom" and "The Shadow". Unfortunately, I think the Shadow should look more film noir. A Doc Savage movie would be right to have the bright look. The Shadow works in, well, the shadows, his New York is filled with low-lifes and dinge. Doc's world has the ray of hope (mostly through science) and optimism of a better world around the corner.
They are in essence the Batman and Superman of pulps.
I'm still waiting for a decent Doc Savage movie.

Alas, there is no widescreen Shadow sold. The reason I haven't bought the DVD is it is full-screen and no bonus goodies. I feel that if I bought it then the "Special collectors deluxe edition" would come out with commentary, behind the scenes and widescreen. After a few times of that happening it just isn't funny.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Mycroft

One Too Many
The Wolf said:
I like the bright clean look of New York in "The Phantom" and "The Shadow". Unfortunately, I think the Shadow should look more film noir. A Doc Savage movie would be right to have the bright look. The Shadow works in, well, the shadows, his New York is filled with low-lifes and dinge. Doc's world has the ray of hope (mostly through science) and optimism of a better world around the corner.
They are in essence the Batman and Superman of pulps.
I'm still waiting for a decent Doc Savage movie.

Alas, there is no widescreen Shadow sold. The reason I haven't bought the DVD is it is full-screen and no bonus goodies. I feel that if I bought it then the "Special collectors deluxe edition" would come out with commentary, behind the scenes and widescreen. After a few times of that happening it just isn't funny.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

I beleve they are making a Savage movie with Schwartinager as the Doc.

Jokerswild7

New in Town
Im still waiting fir the special eddition Rocketeer DVD...
and Wolf, I agree although a personal favorite, The Shadow could have been more on the noir side.
A new Doc Savage movie would rule. End of story.

Glenn

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Enjoyed all three films myself. What I like the most is the fact that they are comic biiks come to life. Ultra stylized with just enough reality to keep them grounded. Having had collected comic books for years and back in the day wanting to be a penciler for Marvel, I totally appreciate the comic book flair of the films, even if the costumes aren't spot on period accurate.
Now, did anybody notice in The Shadow a much slimmer and trimmer Abraham Benrubi (of ER fame)? He had a very short lived roll as one of the Marine Guards to the Professors office.

Cheers!

Dan

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
I'm still waiting for the sequel... I like the movie more than I let on.

I'm with you, Matt; I like this whole genre more than I let on. Well, actually maybe I do let on... The thing I like about these movies is that they really recreate the feeling of the old serials. Seriously, watch some of the old Buck Rogers ro Flash Gordon serials and tell me they would ever get past audiences today! That's half the fun, and a lot of why I like all of those movies like The Shadow, The Phantom, and Rocketeer. Although, I do think is also possible to update the concept like The Mummy and make it more accessible to a modern audience with good writing.

But I have to admit, I really hate that battle of lasers between Xander Drax and The Phantom, and the fact that when the submarine finally surfaces they must be at least two miles off the coast of that island. I sure wish I could hold my breath for that long!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
But even the old serial films had their flaws & blunders. That's what made them so great. You looked beyond the impossibilities. I mean look at Raiders of the Lost Ark. How could someone travel that far to a submarine base lashed to the periscope. He would have drowned. But that's what makes them so great, the superhuman feates that we wished we could do.

Cheers!

Dan

RyFranzese24

Familiar Face
I love The Phantom! Besides the Raiders movies, the other bests are The Shadow, The Phantom, The Rocketeer....I even loved Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow...I am a film major in college, and now my newest mission is to get The Spirit to the big screen. I love that time period. Noir.

And I loved Sin City. My only qualm was that it needed more hats!!!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran