Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Pocket Phone- Cell Phones

Sarge

One of the Regulars
Getcha one a these. ;)

Phone2.jpg

Edward

Bartender
It seems to me that the big handset companies wouldn't be interested as there isn't the mass market potential, however, I should have thought that for some enterprising person within the vintage community there'd be a market for accessory covers / cases for popular models, e.g. a small metal case that looks like a cigarette case but is actually a cover for an iPhone..... I'd buy that. I'm just waiting til the iPhone is on my network and a free upgrade, then I'm having one.

kokopelli

One of the Regulars
iPhone

I love the iPhone, but I don't think we can wait for a free upgrade. I need the "large print" and "amplified voice" version now, by the time it's a free upgrade I won't be able to see or hear it!;) Ron

Edward said:
It seems to me that the big handset companies wouldn't be interested as there isn't the mass market potential, however, I should have thought that for some enterprising person within the vintage community there'd be a market for accessory covers / cases for popular models, e.g. a small metal case that looks like a cigarette case but is actually a cover for an iPhone..... I'd buy that. I'm just waiting til the iPhone is on my network and a free upgrade, then I'm having one.

Bertie

New in Town
How to wear a cell phone?

How do you recommend wearing a cell phone?
When I don't wear a jacket, I use a leather belt-clip/holster (~$5 BigLots), but I don't really like it. With a jacket, I sometimes put it in an inside pocket.
Ideas?

anon`

One Too Many
I always keep my phone in a pocket.* Which pocket frankly depends on what I'm wearing, but always in a pocket. And whenever I buy a new phone, the primary consideration is how it fits into a pocket. Function and features follow second and third, respectively.

*Unless I forget it, in which case it just sits on a desk or bureau. :)

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
With the newest models being rather slim and weighing less and less, a pocket is a great way to keep connected but keep it concealed. I've always felt that people who "wear" their phone/Blackberry/pager in a pouch on their belt are displaying a sense of self-importance. They are useful devices, but can be kept on one's person discreetly.

Don't get me started on Bluetooth wearers, and, just as bad, ear phones and iPod "buds".

Shudder.....

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Yes, another vote...but something else, as well...

After years of avoiding cell phones, when my wife and I moved out into the sticks (with regular visits to the thick stuff with the dogs and gun)....it seemed wise to get one. I did (six years ago) and carried it while hunting, and on those rare occasions when I was in town and needed to be reached "on the fly." Other than that...it was turned off.

Several weeks ago I broke down and got an iPhone...this will not be another "I love Apple!" agape...but, to make a long story short....I now carry the thing with me everywhere, mostly because it does a zillion things OTHER than serve as a phone...and all of it seamlessly and wonderfully.

I carry it in my pocket, usually the inside breast pocket of my suit jacket, or sometimes in a shirt pocket, if I'm deshabille. But, being a trad-type...the bombe-plastique case I bought with it was....just not doing it for me.

A search for "iphone case leather" brought up these folks--in Turkey!--who make a great product with what I think is a very traditional and chaste styling, even for a man. It was the global economy writ small: I had no idea where the company was when I ordered (from the Northeastern US); within 12 hours of my order, it was shipped from Istanbul...6 hours later, in Frankfurt, but held up there for unknown reasons; 12 hours later, it was in the East Midlands, UK...and the next day, it was sitting on my doorstep. They make similar cases for other phones and handheld devices. Someone else here might like the styling as much as I did:

http://www.beyzacases.com/cat-side-sr.cfm

"Skeet"

Bugsy

One Too Many
If my cell phone isn't charging or in the car, it's always in a pocket out of sight. I agree with Anon. My first consideration in getting a new phone is that it be small and light enough not to ruin the drape of my jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24