Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Poetry of Hats

rberlin

New in Town
I come from a long line of hatmakers. My grandfather and granduncle started a leather sweatband business in NYC in the 1930's in a small factory in Greenwich Village. My uncle and his family were all hatmakers - fedoras, caps, you name it. After WWII, my father and uncle took over the sweatband business and ran it until a few years after my father's death in 1980. When I was growing up, I worked at the factory during the summer and during vacations, doing everything from packing to freight deliveries to going door to door to hat factories selling feathers for fedoras.

There's an old joke in the garment district:

What's the difference between a garment worker and a poet?

One generation.

First, I became a doctor. Then at mid-life and mid-career I became a poet. I've written a lot about my father, and the title poem of my first book of poetry is about how the demise of the hat industry in the 1960s affected his health. The title poem, "How JFK Killed My Father," is available on my website www.richardmberlin.com for anyone who is interested. Billy Collins, a recent Poet Laureate of the United States wrote a similar poem called "Death of the Hat" which he described as my poem's cousin.

I'd be interested in hearing from people who know about other poems related to hats.

Richard M. Berlin

Raindog

One of the Regulars
Welcome to the lounge Richard.
Read your poem How JFK killed my Father. Very enjoyable....I love the 'Fedoras held close to their leathered hearts' line particularly.
I wish I could say I knew more poems involving hats, but I don't. I'm a big fan of Roger Mcgough, John Cooper Clarke, Robert Frost, W.B.Yeats, John Betjemen, and others but I can't recall any hat specific poems:cry:
Maybe the members here should try their hand at one. I'll see what I can do in the next few days, but it'll probably be pretty poor:)

Hope you enjoy the lounge,

Jeff.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Welcome to the Lounge Richard.
As a current hatter I can feel your fathers past in so many ways. Unfortunately, I know of no poems about hatting or hats.

makll

Familiar Face
Hi Richard,
Here is one that I know of:

The Drop of a Hat
by Ogden Nash

Darling, what is that?
That, angel is a hat.
Are you positive? Are you certain?
Are you sure it‚s not a curtain?
Shall you really place your head in it?
How‚s for keeping cake or bread in it?
Do not wear it on your head;
Find some other use instead,
Say a cloth for drying dishes,
Or a net for catching fishes,
Or a veil by night to veto
The bill of a mosquito?
Darling, what is that?
Are you sure it is a hat?
And if so, what was the matter
With the hatter?
Was he troubled? Was he ill?
Was he laughing fit to kill?
Oh, what was on his mind
As he designed?

hatflick1

Practically Family
Hat Poems Down Under

Two books I have detailing the history of Akubra include poetry honoring
Australian hats and the men who wore them. Unfortunately, they are too long to present here.
There is also some colorful Aussie humor regarding headwear. One adage goes...it ain't a hat unless a family can picnic under it. Clearly a salute to brim width.

rberlin

New in Town
Thanks for the warm words of welcome, the great quotes, and the Ogden Nash poem, which is just perfect.

My father's company was Harris & Tipograph, Inc. 685 Broadway, NYC (a block south of 8th street). They were up on the 9th floor of a building that is now a gentrified party of NYU. His main competitor was Brizelle leather. They competed for many, many years, but Louis Brizelle outlived my dad. Both made beautiful sweatbands.

My father's favorite customer was an Amish hatmaker who would call from a phone booth in Lancaster County, PA and always paid in cash. I believe we once stayed on his customer's farm when I was very, very young. I've got a nice Amish straw hat in my current collection.

Felt Hat Poem

A friend of mine sent me this poem. I am not sure of the source or if it has been posted before.

Of all the felt I ever felt,
I never felt a piece of felt
Which felt as fine at that felt felt,
When first I felt that felt hat's felt.

A friend of mine sent me this poem. I am not sure of the source or if it has been posted before.

Of all the felt I ever felt,
I never felt a piece of felt
Which felt as fine at that felt felt,
When first I felt that felt hat's felt.

Excellent resurrection of a little-known thread, and thank you! I felt it!

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
The Hat Box January 1926

image243d.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran