Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Prefect Suit video.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I think this is the Prefect Suit.

casablancarenaultrick_sm.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
but you can get it on YouTube . . . in four parts! Very educational, that video.
I hope this isn't it............

[video=youtube;ngjCWR15WrI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngjCWR15WrI&feature=player_embedded[/video]

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I hope this isn't it............

[video=youtube;ngjCWR15WrI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngjCWR15WrI&feature=player_embedded[/video]

That suit and its wearer just scream "Hipster!" Too low rise, too narrow in the lapels (and I even like those), too thin and wrinkly of a fabric, and the worst offender, wearing a trilby hat ironically, tilted above the hairline with the fringe falling across the forehead. It didn't look good; he looked like a joke trying to make a hipster statement or caricature of himself.

Last edited:

birkie

Familiar Face
Excellent - the youtube link worked! I must say, of everything the host tried on, I think the "frock coat" suited him the best. (That might just be relative, however. It was preceded by a horrid, ill-fitting modern hipster fashion suit complete with "neckerchief").

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I just finished watching that four-bit presentation on the Perfect Suit. It was fascinating and very interesting. I find it so interesting that back "in the day", suits were considered casualwear, and yet today, everyone equates them with formalwear.

I think that's something we need to change. The suit needs to come back in its traditional, casual manner.

rcfko

Familiar Face
I agree that suits need to make a comeback.
When I go about town, my friends always say that I'm too dressed up and too formal. I'm wearing a button shirt and waistcoat with no tie and usually no jacket as it is too hot. I look at them and want to say, "No, you're just dressed like slobs" not that I'd say that out loud to them.

Here are my believes.
Formal = White coat
Semi-formal = Tuxedo
Casual = Suit, waistcoat...
Very Casual = no tie, maybe a polo with trousers.

Am I crazy?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
If you look up at the ceiling when they're examining the frock coat at the 14:12 mark of the 1st reel youll see light fixtures made of top hats and bowlers.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I agree that suits need to make a comeback.
When I go about town, my friends always say that I'm too dressed up and too formal. I'm wearing a button shirt and waistcoat with no tie and usually no jacket as it is too hot. I look at them and want to say, "No, you're just dressed like slobs" not that I'd say that out loud to them.

Here are my believes.
Formal = White coat
Semi-formal = Tuxedo
Casual = Suit, waistcoat...
Very Casual = no tie, maybe a polo with trousers.

Am I crazy?

I certainly don't think so.

To me, I see it as this:

Formal: White Tie. That's as formal as you can go.
Semiformal: Black Tie.
Casual: Suit. Or elements thereof (for example, sportsjacket, waistcoat, trousers etc). With or without tie.
Street Casual (for want of a better term): Sweaters, jeans, shorts, T-shirts (etc).

I don't wish to trivialise anything, but people these days (with the exception, possibly, of the Lounge) equate the suit with formality.

WHY?

Why?

There's nothing formal about a suit. There's nothing special about it. There's nothing especially unique about it. You don't see it on dress-codes when you go out somewhere special...unless that place happens to be the 21 Club in Manhattan. There's nothing formal about a suit. It's just the perception that people have of it, which in my opinion, is totally unfounded and unwarranted. It's not one that the suit should have, for the pure fact that I don't think it deserves it and doesn't need it. People worry about the slipping standards of clothing, and yet don't have the guts to wear better clothes because "they're for special occasions".

Let's be realistic. How many 'special occasions' do we ever go to in our lives? I don't want the only time I wear a suit to be when I'm lying in a box, because that's a 'special occasion'. I'll wear a suit whenever I damn well feel like it and rats and droppings to anyone who complains about 'formality'.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran