Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Prototype "MD1" - Matt Deckard Apparel Fedora!

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Looks good. Cut down the brim at least another 1/8th of an inch -- it looks too wide for a typical '30s hat. 2 1/4-inch brim or 2 1/8 should be right. If that ribbon isn't 2-inches, it would look more appropriate if it was.

My 2 pennies.

Brad

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Looks good. Cut down the brim at least another 1/8th of an inch -- it looks too wide for a typical '30s hat. 2 1/4-inch brim or 2 1/8 should be right. If that ribbon isn't 2-inches, it would look more appropriate if it was.

My 2 pennies.

Brad

i know what you mean about the shorter brim, I'm just a big fan of those late 20s early 30s hats that had that larger brim swoop.

1920sjazz_suit.jpg

866bstart.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
For those that really do like a higher crown.

I was thinking about doing another color of the MD1 (and I'm sure I will), yet got caught up in the idea of doing a good early 30s hat to spec. Wider pre war brown sweatband, very tall untapered crown and slight curl to the brim.

Just like the ones I keep trying to find yet can't unless I get it custom made. This is one of the prototypes. What do you think?

No it's not purple... just my iphone taking a few quick shots of this prototype.
254058_10150206123628811_642563810_7364224_7348400_n.jpg

I think the dimensions of this hat are superb.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
For those that really do like a higher crown.

I was thinking about doing another color of the MD1 (and I'm sure I will), yet got caught up in the idea of doing a good early 30s hat to spec. Wider pre war brown sweatband, very tall untapered crown and slight curl to the brim.

Just like the ones I keep trying to find yet can't unless I get it custom made. This is one of the prototypes. What do you think?

No it's not purple... just my iphone taking a few quick shots of this prototype.
254058_10150206123628811_642563810_7364224_7348400_n.jpg

I really like that hat, Matt!! Ive seen a ton of 20's and 30's pictures and that hat screams early 30's. Many people think that brims were shorter in the 20's and early 30's and while I would agree that the tall crown/short brim combo was very popular, wider brims were most definitely around then as well. My personal preference would be to have a 2 1/4 inch brim with an open 6 inch no taper crown. I personally would leave the edge unbound and put a higher flange in the brim. When I think of early 30's hats, the two figures that come to mind are James Cagney and Edward G. Robinson. The hats they wore all had the shorter brims and higher flanging. I think even with a wider brim, this would look very good with that higher flanging because it will bring the brim sides in a bit and make it appear slightly shorter. It will also give that 30's style snap front where the front part of the brim has a shorter "swoop" and the sides flare up just slightly. But that's just my personal tastes. A wider sweatband would be AWESOME! I really like the wide soft sweatbands used in the teen's and early 20's. Like I said, I love how the hat looks and I hope to see more about it very soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass