Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Prototype "MD1" - Matt Deckard Apparel Fedora!

Hi friends!

Today was an exciting day, I got to see a real live prototype of the fedora that Matt Deckard is working up for his line of Apparel.

It has an open crown that's pretty high and no taper but with a slightly smaller brim than the Open Road.
If I understood what Matt said it was to be similar to the earlier Whippets but not sure I got that piece of info right.

The brim has a nice binding on it currently but he's trying to get that to be a little bit thinner than the type they used for this work up.

He is also looking at a darker ribbon for the Crown and one that is not quite as wide as what they installed on this first work up.

The fur felt is a medium light grey and fairly soft, thin, but not overly so and the felt feels like it is "tightly felted" so it should be a hardy one for long life.

Matt is looking it over carefully and listing the alterations he wants to make as they had deviated from his instructions to come up with this one.

I am not sure but he may consider to put up some pictures at some point.

I liked what I saw, and Matt brought out some vintage hats from his collection to use as comparisons and the descriptions of what he wants to have done, I am sure it will be a really swell lid when he gets to that point.

Here's hoping for a a great design everyone as this looks like it can be a winner!

Colby Jack said:
That's great news!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap ...Who's making them or is that known yet?

At present the source will probably best be described as "proprietory information."

It's an interesting thing though with Matt trying to work this out, and it will probably still take some time to get everything right and squared away.

billyspew

One Too Many
Sounds great, I'll look forward to seeing some pictures. Will we be able to get the Sweat stamped with initials, like vintage lids? Any details about the liner yet either? Will it be by size or more custom like the suits?

Thanks,

Bill

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sounds very interesting. I'll keep watching this thread for more details. Perhaps Mr. Deckard is willing to add his thoughts to this thread?

carldelo

One Too Many
Amen to that

J. M. Stovall said:
This has to be the all time biggest Fedora Lounge teaser thread I've ever read.

I have nothing to add, I just want to be subscribed to this thread so I'll know when it's available...

J. M. Stovall said:
This has to be the all time biggest Fedora Lounge teaser thread I've ever read.

I am amazed he is where he is with this.

Matt was talking about what he had in mind and was able to first speak to someone that said "hey I think we can do this" about 2 months back.

So things are coming together but it simply takes time.

I was thrilled to see the prototype, that is a really big step!

It kind of reminds me of when the car companies put all sorts of crazy paint stripes on sections of their prototypes so nobody can tell what they are supposed to really look like in the real world.

For now it's probably because Matt is still developing the actual shape of the hat and doesn't want to get anyone enamored with what isn't going to be the end result.

I am just going to keep my fingers crossed that it all comes to fruition because it looks like it will be a really swell lid.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
One of the front runners. It will have reddish brown roan sweat and... well just checking out a lot of ribbon distributers at the moment.

Here are a couple pics of a couple front runners. You can see ribbon swatches on the top one... I've just been trying to narrow down the right width and shade in an all cotton rayon grosgrain.

MD-1 (Modern fedora 1)

Prototypes

l_5e76bddb004f4d34801a1206a2ea14d9.jpg

l_81c5d8cff29c45df86da7b8e742c5cf3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass