Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The REAL gangster look

griffer

Practically Family
Like any other nouveau riche class. Gangsters, like the bourgeoisie, were nto from hereditary wealth, so they flaunt it. Bigger, more, shinier.

Money, but no taste or class.

JamesT1

Familiar Face
The Bond photo appears to be from Goldfinger. It's the scene where he and M are meeting with the people from the bank to discuss gold smuggling and the sherry.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Undertow said:
Anyone happen to have more "Gangster" photos? I liked this thread considerably.

If you like this thread, sir, then you simply must begin watching the DVDs of the television series The Untouchables. More gangster fashion than you'll know what to do with. And although it's true that the show is the late 20s/early 30s as seen from the perspective of the late 50s/early 60s, it's still wicked cool. The cops dress nicely, too, although not as flashily; I like Eliot Ness's three-piece suits as much as I like Frank Nitti's double-breasted chalkstripes. French cuffs abound (although Ness seems to switch to barrel cuffs after the pilot, in which he wears French cuffs a lot). It's all good, as they say.

Edward

Bartender
They were much later that those mentioned thus far, but the Krays certainly knew how to dress. Now I think about it, though, I can't recall seeing (m)any images of Reggie and Ronnie in hats. Great suits, though.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
What about Jack 'The Hat' McVitie'?

Alan

Edward said:
They were much later that those mentioned thus far, but the Krays certainly knew how to dress. Now I think about it, though, I can't recall seeing (m)any images of Reggie and Ronnie in hats. Great suits, though.

Edward

Bartender
Alan Eardley said:
What about Jack 'The Hat' McVitie'?

Alan

Plenty of photos of him in a hat alright. Indoors as well: The Hat's nickname didn't denote a fine taste in headwear necessarily, but referred to his habit of keeping a hat on at all times, including inside buildings and other places where it would normally be removed. Apparently Jack had a bald spot he was keen to keep hidden....

I haven't managed to turn up any photos of McVitie online. Plenty of the Kray boys, of course. And Mad Frankie Fraser was always a snappy dresser. Suprisingly petite in height, too, for such a fearsome guy. I wouldn't tangle with him even now, for all the extra years he has ahead of me.

It feels a little strange to see the way these guys are glamourised and even worshipped by fans. I have an interest in the whole Kray legend myself. It's local history for me - I live opposite the Blind Begger, walk past the Grave Maurice (now rebranded the Q Bar) all the time, along with a bunch of other Kray sites. An ex worked on the Vallance Road, not that far from where Fort Vallance was. To hero-worship these guys, though, seems rather distasteful to me. Not that I see the point in demonising them either: there's another part of me that whispers the folks they rubbed out, in the main, didn't exactly play nice either. It seems rather tawdry to me that they ended up as political prisoners in the end - much like Myra Hindley, I guess, though I lean to the view that she could never have been released purely for her own protection.

Chas

One Too Many
Bugsy Siegel.
ben17.jpg

ben18.jpg

ben50.jpg

Too bad he didn't follow his buddy George Raft into the picture business. He was a pretty handsome cat.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It may not be Bugsy, but this was the first thing that came up when I searched google images (well, one of the first things anyway). Picture taken 1939 and looking great!

suit.jpg

Dixon Cannon

Now the orientation is correct...

ben50.jpg

They're not wearing 'girls' jackets anymore! The scribble on the negative reads as follows:

"Max Solomon, Atty. Benjamin Siegel. Isaac Paul, Atty."

sarah smith

New in Town
Undertow said:
It may not be Bugsy, but this was the first thing that came up when I searched google images (well, one of the first things anyway). Picture taken 1939 and looking great!

suit.jpg

this photo looks modern to me. Are you sure it's vintage?

Dixon Cannon

The photo above is a modern photo from a period wedding -

The caption reads:

Pentax K-1000
Elmhurst, PA

This fellow owned the 1939 classic automobile hired for Eric and Ali’s wedding, and I took his picture while he was waiting for them to finish their pictures at the church. I told him he totally looked the part, too — a private eye going after Bugsy Siegel. Photo by Gail Edwin.

carebear

Aside from style issues, if you've ever had to get at something on your belt in a hurry, it's a lot easier with a SB jacket. Fewer buttons and fabric to manipulate. Also, an unbuttoned SB just looks casual, an unbuttoned DB looks out of place.

If you want to have quick access but not stand out, SB is the way to go, tools of the trade wise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo