Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE RENOVATORS CORNER

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Here are two columns from 1938 and 1939. This may be a useful Thread for further anecdotes and successful solutions to Hat Renovation issues. Lets keep it going.

4746387231_342270c82e_b.jpg

4747025628_27c7f45589_b.jpg

Gotta love the subhead(line) ...

"Sometimes it's better to refuse a job than take it."

That often isn't what people want to hear, though. Sure, a dirty, misshapen old hat worn thin at the pinch, a hat that was no great shakes even when it was brand spankin' new, could indeed be taken apart and thoroughly cleaned and blocked and a new sweatband and ribbon could go on it and the hat's owner would have something like a hundred bucks into refurbishing a hat that might be worth half that much when the job is done.

I didn't want to hear what two separate watchmakers told me about an old watch I thought I got a good deal on (I don't know diddly about old watches, obviously), to wit: overhauling that watch would cost twice what it would then be worth.

Live and learn.

cptjeff

Practically Family
scottyrocks said:
'Our charge for such a job, with a new leather and band, is $2.50 to $3.50.'

Wow.

Which equates to 38.20 to 53.50. It constantly amazes me how much more a dollar was worth then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoEllis