Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Resistol Roundup

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Harv, RJR, Perry, Rick, moehawk, thanks guys. I appreciate everyone's comments and feedback. I agee with you guys. I think the simpler bow worked out best for the hat. A mid-ribbon for a campaign style bow is just too much "over-kill", so to speak.

I should have you stop over and have you do the one I am attempting to make and install on this Resistol that I just purchased for Daniel. I purchased some vintage dove grey ribbon, it was fairly easy to "swirl" even as it is 2 inches wide. Next, I made a "tube" for the center of the ribbon that the rest of the ribbon will slide into....now I am making the "bows" part....what a pain! LOL! After I do all this needle/thread work on what I am making now, I then have to find all these little tiny threads that hold the liner in, clip them....(nerve racking) and remove the liner.....next, intall the hat band around the base of the crown figure how to tack it on the corners and have it be "snug" so there is no "droop" to it....the bow I am making will cover the ends of the hatband ribbon...and the bows on each side will sort of go up in a V shape from the slide middle part of everything......I am sure I will figure this all out and eventually be done....but I sure can say it is not all as easy as some of you make it look. Getting thread to go in the eye of a small needle is not my cup of tea, either. LOL! While doing all this, I have to wonder if some people use some sort of thick sticky fabric glue to hold this all together?

One thing for sure, after messing with this for a few hours, a small shot of some single malt scotch seemed to be the ticket for my nerves!

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I should have you stop over and have you do the one I am attempting to make and install on this Resistol that I just purchased for Daniel. I purchased some vintage dove grey ribbon, it was fairly easy to "swirl" even as it is 2 inches wide. Next, I made a "tube" for the center of the ribbon that the rest of the ribbon will slide into....now I am making the "bows" part....what a pain! LOL! After I do all this needle/thread work on what I am making now, I then have to find all these little tiny threads that hold the liner in, clip them....(nerve racking) and remove the liner.....next, intall the hat band around the base of the crown figure how to tack it on the corners and have it be "snug" so there is no "droop" to it....the bow I am making will cover the ends of the hatband ribbon...and the bows on each side will sort of go up in a V shape from the slide middle part of everything......I am sure I will figure this all out and eventually be done....but I sure can say it is not all as easy as some of you make it look. Getting thread to go in the eye of a small needle is not my cup of tea, either. LOL! While doing all this, I have to wonder if some people use some sort of thick sticky fabric glue to hold this all together?

One thing for sure, after messing with this for a few hours, a small shot of some single malt scotch seemed to be the ticket for my nerves!

Oh yeah, putting everything together can be time consuming. A lot of patience, a lot of coffee, and a lot of cussing! Also, a lot of band aids!

Dallashat

New in Town
Rclark-
I'm sorry it was not Dinerman's post it was another back from 2005 i found after a Google search "The orange tinted "cloth like" plastic is probably from the late 40s---after the war. That was their first try at getting plastics into hats. " with the clear plastic being in the fifties sometime.

Dallashat

New in Town
I just got my Rolnick out of the Post office it is buttery smooth felt and takes a dry bash well.

IMG_0353_zps2a84c9b8.jpg

IMG_0352_zpsa7e40318.jpg
IMG_0354_zpsf9f0eec8.jpg

Last edited:

se couvrir

One of the Regulars
As a newcomer to the Lounge, I am hoping that there might be loungers among you who can help me find more info regarding the best hat in my modest collection.
Resistol “Self Conforming” Open Road clone in “Beaver Supreme”, silverbelly colour. Size is 6 7/8 LO; crown 4 ½; brim 2 ½ ; stitched-in liner; Stylite leather locking case and both hat and case personalised with name, ranch and brand mark and all in pristine condition. I have never handled such soft felt and of such fine quality and have never seen another reference to Beaver Supreme in a Resistol. All is of such a superb quality combination that I wonder if it might have been presented by Senator William Blakley who bought the Bar S in ’54 and changed its name to rocker b.
I wrote letters and sent photos to both Resistol and rocker b to perhaps identify George Osborne and try to learn something of the hat’s history, but did not even receive an email acknowledgement, which was disappointing – I had hoped it might also be of some historical interest to them also.
So, over to you experts......Will try to post pics, but am not confident as have not done it before.
Chris.
IMGA0484_zpsjytcv93e.jpg
IMGA0485_zpsgkvdzmwm.jpg
IMGA0491_zpstcpoupfg.jpg
IMGA0486_zpsc9mawq3u.jpg
IMGA0489_zpsfnrqg2ls.jpg
IMGA0490_zpswloo1ppc.jpg

rclark

Call Me a Cab
NICE!!!! I'm not familiar with that liner or the "Beaver Supreme" designation, but I can tell you true vintage Resistols have some of the nicest felt around IMHO.

se couvrir

One of the Regulars
Many thanks to TommyK; rclark;1mach1 and RJR for your enthusiastic observations. New to the lounge, but is it ok to use christian names where given, or would that be too presumptious on my part?
Thanks also to you gtdean48 for your help. I did write to Resistol at 601 Marion Dr. but with no response - is the Garland outlet with Dave that you mentioned a separate entity? Difficult to find out many details from this side of the pond, even on the internet, so I would be grateful if you have any more specific contact info.
Looking back through the very interesting Roundup posts, I note Joao's discouraging comments in #860 - "Resistol hats does not know many things about the past. Sadly it seems there is no-one there to help in their models history".
Was I correct in thinking my Resistol posting is an OR clone, and if so, should I post pics on The Other Open Road thread or would that be a pointless duplication?
Still trying to navigate posting and settings on this website (difficult for some of us old-timers who don't understand the tech lingo) - so please excuse any blunders!
Want to be accepted in the Borso Brotherhood next when I find time for pics.
Thanks again all,
Chris.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany