Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Resistol Roundup

barrowjh

One Too Many
San Antonio 3X

Here is my my favorite OR clone, has been since I won it over 3 years ago:
IMG_1435.jpg

IMG_1436.jpg

I just love that liner, slightly off-white beige with just the Byer-Rolnick crest, just screams vintage class.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Beaver 25 / Kings 25

This is a recent acquisition that I intended to give to someone else, but the felt is so sweet, I cannot put it in a box and take it downstairs into my own collection (its straw time here in Tennessee)!
IMG_1431.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

IMG_1433.jpg

This sweetie may become my fav, it is a really nice hat. It was a surprise in that I thought all San Antonios had a bound edge, but apparently not. Its not a problem, though, or love is blind, maybe.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
barrowjh said:
Here is my my favorite OR clone, has been since I won it over 3 years ago [...] I just love that liner, slightly off-white beige with just the Byer-Rolnick crest, just screams vintage class.

It sure does. Here's another OR style fedora with a great liner. This one's a Resistol 100. Beautiful in every way.

a2d43fec.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Nice hats!! Resistol continued to make some really great felts while Stetson became a name only. Would like to see that 100.

Duck

Practically Family
barrowjh said:
This is a recent acquisition that I intended to give to someone else, but the felt is so sweet, I cannot put it in a box and take it downstairs into my own collection (its straw time here in Tennessee)!
IMG_1431.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

IMG_1433.jpg

This sweetie may become my fav, it is a really nice hat. It was a surprise in that I thought all San Antonios had a bound edge, but apparently not. Its not a problem, though, or love is blind, maybe.

John, that is one sweet hat!! I too, thought that all San Antoions had a bound edge. Great, another hat for me to try and find :D

barrowjh

One Too Many
Wide Country

Here is yet another, I think this was the OR clone after San Antonio name was no longer used. This brim is 3" or wider, and I tried to keep it almost flat to look more like genuine old west.
IMG_1448.jpg

IMG_1449.jpg

IMG_1450.jpg

IMG_1451.jpg

Definitely not happy with this style of liner, tacky IMHO.
Thank you for the kind comments on the previous two posted in, and yes, Zetwal, I envy that 100, know that was superb felt. You were concerned about the wide brim, but I still urge you to try out a flat wide look for sunny days (but not blasted hot days like now!).

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Waiting impatiently for a Resistol Western in 4X Beaver to arrive. Hoped it would make it this week, but looks like next week now :(

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dave E said:
Waiting impatiently for a Resistol Western in 4X Beaver to arrive. Hoped it would make it this week, but looks like next week now :(
Hats off to Brits and Europeans wearing Stetson-type hats. They are part of the cool fashions moving from West to East, instead of the other way around. Canadians and Australians, of course, are well-acquainted with that style.

Dave E

One of the Regulars
danofarlington said:
Hats off to Brits and Europeans wearing Stetson-type hats. They are part of the cool fashions moving from West to East, instead of the other way around. Canadians and Australians, of course, are well-acquainted with that style.

It remains to be seen whether I have the guts to wear it, however :)

barrowjh

One Too Many
Stagecoach Flare Crown (got attitude)

I initially posted this over in the Ebay hats thread post #10705. The hat was still a work-in-progress over there, and there were few comments. I put considerable more work into it, and am back for more punishment.

Here is the finished product:
071310005.jpg

It was originally a deep telescope, and I started playing with it to try and find a way to flare the crown. I had some success, but it is not the same as a flare crown made from new (never creased) felt.

Interior of the crown, with the liner out-
071310001.jpg

Stagecoach logo on the sweat:
071310003.jpg

Originally sold in Arizona, there are markings in the box indicating October of 1979, but I am not sure that was the original sale.
071310002.jpg

another angle:
071310007.jpg

Liner re-installed -
071310011.jpg

one Resistol Stagecoach, with attitude:
071310009.jpg

It really needs a medium tan/brown ribbon about 1 inch wide, but the existing leather band is really nice, hard to justify pulling it off the hat. The crown turns out to be exactly 4 1/4 inches, which is about right. Maybe 4 inches would be better, but I looked all over the internet and could only find one that was 4 1/4, others were 4 1/2. The brim is 3 1/4, maybe if it was 3 1/2 the 4 1/4 crown would be a better proportioned hat, difficult to say. As it is, I think I'll keep it a while, the felt is reasonably good quality, not a bad hat.

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
That Resistol looks really cool,barrowjh! Not sure I`ve ever seen one with exactly that shape of a crown (which makes it kind of cool). Pretty handy,sir.
I don`t favor how western/cowboy hats look on me and since they don`t reflect my lifestyl,attitude or taste in music/hobbies...that`s ok,right? :)

Your modified Stagecoach has kind of a rustic OUTBACK flavor to it and you look like the "real deal" in it.

HMH

barrowjh

One Too Many
Hattitudes and attitudes

HosManHatter, don't let the western hat fool you, I am strictly R&R and newer versions thereof. Radiohead, Coldplay, Lucinda Williams, Government Mule, Drivin N Cryin, Bush etc are bands that have some songs I liked over the past decade or so. I find it strange that 'conservative' country music and the cattleman crease seem bonded in some sort of marriage.

The flare crown hat with a wide brim was a popular hat throughout the mid-1800s, and some period-accurate movies have included these. Eastwood's Pale Rider and Depp's Dead Man characters sported flare crown hats, Paladin's 'town' hat in that TV series was a flare crown. There were probably some cattleman-crease hats worn by folks in the late 1800s in the west, but I have yet to find any pictures to prove it. Telescope crowns, campaign crowns, 'gus' crease, plain open crown, etc were more typical, and those are generally outnumbered by bowlers and sombreros in most photos that I have seen from that era.

So, I tend to use a double tear drop (Roy Rogers' preferred crease) or telescope or some other configuration for any wide-brim, no cattleman crease hats in my collection.

Barrow,

I agree, the hat is reminiscent of Clint in Pale Rider, and has a certain "panache" to it. It could look cool with a wide grosgrain ribbon, tan or even a maroon might look good. All you need now is a cigar and poncho!

barrowjh said:
...Originally sold in Arizona, there are markings in the box indicating October of 1979, but I am not sure that was the original sale.
That is about the same time as I bought mine. It has morphed thru the years but is a tough hat. Not cattleman crease on this one either but I do have a few...
stagec1.jpg

stagec2.jpg

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Well, my Resistol Western arrived today, the question is whether I can carry it off or not...

Resistol1.jpg

Resistol2.jpg

I've given it some steam and added the dip into the front of the brim already, as I much prefer it this way. It's going to look a bit unusual in middle England, but what the heck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran