Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Return of The Three Piece Suit

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
I love a nice three piece, but just because you can't find 'em off the rack as much nowadays as you might have decades ago, that doesn't mean you can't find a nice vest that'll work with your suit. I've always had to do just that.
n760128911_845000_3398.jpg

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mannySpaghetti said:
I love a nice three piece, but just because you can't find 'em off the rack as much nowadays as you might have decades ago, that doesn't mean you can't find a nice vest that'll work with your suit. I've always had to do just that.

That works. In my opinion, a more contrasting color (on the vest) would look good as well.

JimInSoCalif

One of the Regulars
Doran said:
I think open jackets look fine when one has a vest on, and many people in the past evidently thought it looked well enough to get photographed.

We'd love to see your herringbone three-piece!

Thanks Doran. I would be most happy to post a photo, but, alas, neither I nor my friends have a camera.

Cheers, Jim.

Tamamiko

One of the Regulars
Hemingway Jones said:
They've never gone away in my wardrobe! I have as many three piece as any other type. Here are a few examples:

My Customer Tailor suit that I call my "Avatar Suit!"

You can always rely on a bluish gray tweed suit by Ralph Lauren:

And this one is Italian tweed by Neiman Marcus and is sort of vintage because I have had it since at least 1990:

Lastly, another My Custome Tailor Suit which generous lapels:

I know this post is just a bit dated, but might I say, Mr. Jones, that you look quite dapper in those getups. ;)

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
great Topic - right up my alley!

Hello Gents,

What a great topic! As you can tell by my lounge ID the three piece suit is my favourite! Used to wear one every day in winter when I lived in Sydney. Almost every suit I have in my wardrobe is a 3 piece. When I had money to spend on suits I would buy any suit I came across that was a 3 piece as long as the styling was classic. The best 3 piece I have is a deadstock 3 piece from the 40's that I bought from the wonderful Art Fawcett. You just can't beat the cut or quality from back then. Modern Italian 3 pieces come close though! I say passive resistance to slovinliness in a 3 piece is the way to go!

Good to see there are a good few men willing to take up the cause!

Cheers,

Peter

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
carter said:
Men's Wearhouse is offerimg four three-piece suits this year. Each is $349.00.

http://search.menswearhouse.com/?q=+suit+with+vest&submit.x=9&submit.y=15

I have the 1st one pictured. Its a Jones NY. Its not a bad suit. It doesn't fit like my vintage ones, but for a modern, off the rack 3pc, its better than the average suit. What suprised me the most was that the stripes (on mine at least) were matched up well at the seams. I had my personal tailor take the jacket in at the waist a bit and she tightened up the armholes.

Any other questions, just ask!

Chad

LuckyKat

Practically Family
I love 3 piece suits...I think I have 6 or 7...haven't counted in awhile in my racks of 35+ suits...ya...a little obsessed.

My cream suit is one of my favorites:

ry%3D400

this is brown w/ a black undertone:
ry%3D400

& this is a great dated 1941 3 piece brown pinstripe suit with super large lapels that go up to my shoulder:
ry%3D400

Here's the same suit w/ the coat off:
ry%3D400

And my girlfriends favorite suit of mine is a 3 piece navy suit w/ a quadruple pinstripe that fits me to a "T":
ry%3D400

I also have a plain 40s navy DB 3 piece suit, a 36 union tagged green 3 piece w/ red windowpane, a 30s grey DB belted back 3 piece, a 30s SB belted back 3 piece, a 40s brown tweed SB 3 piece, a early 30s custom made SB peak label royal blue 3 piece...& last, but not least, one of my favorite "new" suits...a late 30s green-blue DB 3 piece...so apparently I have more than I thought...which is a total of 11 "3 piece suits"...& yes, they're all vintage, because there is no better quality...& polyester isn't vintage!

Justdog

Practically Family
JNY

Chad Sanborn said:
I have the 1st one pictured. Its a Jones NY. Its not a bad suit. It doesn't fit like my vintage ones, but for a modern, off the rack 3pc, its better than the average suit. What suprised me the most was that the stripes (on mine at least) were matched up well at the seams. I had my personal tailor take the jacket in at the waist a bit and she tightened up the armholes.

Any other questions, just ask!

Chad
Yes JNY makes excellent suits. I have just aquired a second hand 3 piece pin in Golden twist fabric? Not sure what kind of wool that is. All the others a are mid weight pure Virgin wool. S.Cohen from Canada makes a Jones label and many others plus their own customs. They are picky about fabrics and I have never been dissapointed by the quality. My 3 piece is a retro black gray pin 6 button vest.

Justdog

Practically Family
Colors

mannySpaghetti said:
Perfect colors

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
I've considered trying to get a matching vest for my generic off-the-rack suit, which would likely be fairly easy since I could just take the jacket to the store where I bought and get them to order a matching vest. However, I have a strange feeling the vest would wind up being too long and just not look right at all. Still considering it, though, since I currently can't possible afford a whole new suit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran