Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The right hat, the right look

cchgn

One of the Regulars
Well to be clear, is this thread about hat size or a hat fitting the face? Those are two different things, right? A hat can fit your head, but not fit your face.

cchgn

One of the Regulars
Some faces can wear anything- square jawed, symetrical, skinny face. Other faces can wear nothing that looks good.

I look at old movie stars- Gable, Grant, Peck, then look at the round face of Edward G. Robinson. The long face of Stewart.

Last edited:

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A lot of it has to do with your attitude when wearing the hat. If you put the hat on, walk out the door and never think another thing about it, then you are one of those people who can wear any hat.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Please tell me, that's a very loose rule, TJ. Otherwise I have a bunch of fedoras to sell - and a bunch of flat caps and low boaters to buy :D
Yeah, it probably is a loose rule. Won't argue that one. One of many I read somewhere. Except that I think it only applied to fedoras though, not to boaters and flat caps. I adjusted a couple of mine to the rule and it worked out pretty well, for me that is. In any event, if you have a few fedoras you want unload let me know. I need to add a few more to my meager collection. Although you could re-adjust the crown height to the rule I mentioned to see if it actually works for you before you sell them to me. ;)

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Well, the flat-cap/boater comment was a joke on my facial properties in this context. I guess, my pretty receding chin would point toward the crown height of a boater or newsboy :D

If you would promise a single smiling selfie, I almost consider selling you a couple of hats, TJ ;)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Well, the flat-cap/boater comment was a joke on my facial properties in this context. I guess, my pretty receding chin would point toward the crown height of a boater or newsboy :D

If you would promise a single smiling selfie, I almost consider selling you a couple of hats, TJ ;)

I knew you were joking. I had to mess with you a little bit! ;)

It's a deal! Where's my hats! :D

Hayden & Me 02 A.jpg

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
A lot of it has to do with your attitude when wearing the hat. If you put the hat on, walk out the door and never think another thing about it, then you are one of those people who can wear any hat.
Is this the theory that one can pull off wearing virtually any outfit, garment or accessory if they have the attitude that they "own" the look?

cchgn

One of the Regulars
I knew you were joking. I had to mess with you a little bit! ;)

It's a deal! Where's my hats!

View attachment 7895

Now that hat suits you!!! That's it, Brando in the Wild Bunch. John Wayne as the gentleman farmer with Maureen o' Hara.

Seriously, that hat compliments you....it seems like the Fedora(and the one in your avatar) and you both( you and your hat) are competing with each other.

Btw, Master T is rockin that Fedora as well.....

Last edited:

cchgn

One of the Regulars
Man, I don't know about attitude being the key to wearing anything.

John Candy can NOT pull off the Dr Jones of the Raiders look, no matter how much attitude he puts into it.

Cedric the Entertainer can NOT pull off a 3 piece and Fedora like Bogart could, with a car load of attitude. ..

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
It's hard to see Mr. Candy take over any role from Mr. Ford ... hat or no hat. I would think the same goes for Cedric an Bogey. I guess you can aways find examples if you're careful to choose pair where all visual parameters point in total different directions ;)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Now that hat suits you!!! That's it, Brando in the Wild Bunch. John Wayne as the gentleman farmer with Maureen o' Hara.

Seriously, that hat compliments you....it seems like the Fedora(and the one in your avatar) and you both( you and your hat) are competing with each other.

Btw, Master T is rockin that Fedora as well.....
Ha! Thanks buddy! I appreciate the comments. Both the "Wild One" with Marlon Brando and "The Quiet Man" with John Wayne were classics! Loved both of those movies!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Oooops! Pretty fortunate to put it like: "almost consider"! :D

I never thought I should see that. It suits you so well ... I knew, it was in there ;)

Ha! I have a few pictures of me smiling laying around somewhere. I don't make a habit of it though. Makes my face hurt when I smile! ;)

cchgn

One of the Regulars
It's hard to see Mr. Candy take over any role from Mr. Ford ... hat or no hat. I would think the same goes for Cedric an Bogey. I guess you can aways find examples if you're careful to choose pair where all visual parameters point in total different directions ;)

Well, those were quick, right off the bat, but there's ALOT more. The statement that anyone can wear anything, if they just had the right attitude....I think not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael