Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The right hat, the right look

RBH

Bartender
Cedric looks pretty sharp in a hat also.

cedric-the-entertainer-soul-man.jpg

cedric-the-entertainer_3261548.png

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Is this the theory that one can pull off wearing virtually any outfit, garment or accessory if they have the attitude that they "own" the look?

No

Man, I don't know about attitude being the key to wearing anything.

John Candy can NOT pull off the Dr Jones of the Raiders look, no matter how much attitude he puts into it.

Cedric the Entertainer can NOT pull off a 3 piece and Fedora like Bogart could, with a car load of attitude. ..

I am not talking about actors trying to put on other actor's personas. I am talking about being realistic with what you are wearing and not being self-conscious about the fact you are wearing a hat or in other words your "attitude" when wearing your hat.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Well, those were quick, right off the bat, but there's ALOT more. The statement that anyone can wear anything, if they just had the right attitude....I think not.

You're also a bit hasty, when it comes to reading, what was actually written. You skip the first part: "A lot of it has to do with your attitude when wearing the hat". I agree, that Rogera was a little "double sided" in his comment, but I didn't think it was possible to misunderstand him. Well, I guess it was after all ... [huh]

Latoso

Familiar Face
I seems a little bit like the chicken and the egg. Does a hat look good on you because attitude wise you own it, or do you own it and are comfortable wearing it because it looks good on you to begin with?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I seems a little bit like the chicken and the egg. Does a hat look good on you because attitude wise you own it, or do you own it and are comfortable wearing it because it looks good on you to begin with?

Very likely none of the two by itself. Simple rules are so nice and easy to relate to, but very often useless too. Fortunately life is a complicated issue :)

cchgn

One of the Regulars
You're also a bit hasty, when it comes to reading, what was actually written. You skip the first part: "A lot of it has to do with your attitude when wearing the hat". I agree, that Rogera was a little "double sided" in his comment, but I didn't think it was possible to misunderstand him. Well, I guess it was after all ... [huh]

well, I guess I just don't understand this "attitude' thing. In my world, copping an attitude is a bad thing. Acting like someone you're not is frowned upon down here in the South. You're' either a redneck or gay or a city boy, we don't fake anything and they all dress different and have their own attitudes.

IMO, when one puts a hat on, it either compliments them or it doesn't, it's either right for their face or it ain't. Either way, no matter how that person acts, it's not on the hat. No amount of attitude will make a bad hat look good and no amount of attitude will make a good hat look bad.

cchgn

One of the Regulars
I am not talking about actors trying to put on other actor's personas. I am talking about being realistic with what you are wearing and not being self-conscious about the fact you are wearing a hat or in other words your "attitude" when wearing your hat.

I'm really not either, I'm using actors as the easy example. What I mean is, certain hats compliment fat, round faces, but not others. long thin faces need a different hat to compliment them, short squat faces, something else. I'm hearing folks saying that anyone can wear anything they want, they just need attitude. I'm just not seeing it.

Last edited:

cchgn

One of the Regulars
Cedric looks pretty sharp in a hat also.

Yes he does, we watch "Who wants to be a millionare" every night. The thing is, with him and John candy, et al, they have professional dressers that tells them what looks good on them. You'll never see Cedric sporting a Raiders Fedora and A2 jacket. That's my point.

Besides Raiders( which is almost a cowboy hat), Harrison Ford wears no fedoras. why? I'd say they don't compliment him. Look at Clint Eastwood, Robert Redford and Brad Pitt, et al. They all look good in cowboy hats. almost everyone looks good in a cowboy hat, but look at their other hats. After his westerns, Clint didn't wear a hat. I'm watching Inglorious Bastards right now and brad Pitt is sporting a newsboy. why not a Fedora? I'd say because they couldn't find one that looked good on him. Robert Redford sports the Ivy caps, besides a cowboy hat in his younger days. In the Sting, he wore a newsboy. why not a fedora? I'd say because he can't find one that compliments him.

Bruno mars and John Mayer wear Porkies. Rockie wore a porkie, now he wears a Beret. That compliments them. They know it.

Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
Besides Raiders( which is almost a cowboy hat), Harrison Ford wears no fedoras. why? I'd say they don't compliment him. Look at Clint Eastwood, Robert Redford and Brad Pitt, et al. They all look good in cowboy hats. almost everyone looks good in a cowboy hat, but look at their other hats. After his westerns, Clint didn't wear a hat. I'm watching Inglorious Bastards right now and brad Pitt is sporting a newsboy. why not a Fedora? I'd say because they couldn't find one that looked good on him. Robert Redford sports the Ivy caps, besides a cowboy hat in his younger days. In the Sting, he wore a newsboy. why not a fedora? I'd say because he can't find one that compliments him.
Check out "42" and revisit "the Sting" and "The Natural". Fedoras for both men. I think Redford looks just fine in a fedora. i think you're right about Pitt though.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
well, I guess I just don't understand this "attitude' thing.

It may also be due to the fact, that Danish is my first language. Nuances and "daily-speak-twistings" sometimes fly over my fedora :)

What I mean is, that the way you carry yourself, your posture and other attire have an enormous effect. How you are visually percieved by others is so much about other things than just your face, it's dimensions and expressions - just ask an actor. The other day I told a small anecdote on the subject. No reason to repeat all that here :)

Hope, that helped make my point a little more clear.

PS: Talking about my first language! lol I just re-read the comment I linked to. Ole, "torso-amour" is not quite the same as "torso-amor". Unfortunately, I can't edit that post anymore, so it'll just have to tease people's inner Technicolor, I guess lol

Last edited:

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
I can say that no matter how much something suits your shape, it won't work well if you act embarrassed and uncomfortable in it. Think of 10 year old boys in a suit and tie for a special occasion squirming and trying to rearrange themselves. All too many grown men evidence such an attitude when they dress up, too. As a result, it doesn't look good and they don't get the compliments and credit they would if they could just "own the look."

But obviously, if I walk out the door in a tutu acting like I own the look, it will still look pretty ridiculous. Attitude can help, but it ain't everything. However, without a little positive attitude about your look, you won't have a chance.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
if I walk out the door in a tutu acting like I own the look, it will still look pretty ridiculous. Attitude can help, but it ain't everything.
Well, I don't think any amount of 'attitude' will have a mitigating effect on a poorly chosen (shape and/or color) hat.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Well, I don't think any amount of 'attitude' will have a mitigating effect on a poorly chosen (shape and/or color) hat.

I absolutely agree - but a perfectly chosen hat will do just as little good for you, if you and the way you carry yourself aren't in line.

When looking at movie pictures, it's very important to remember, that the actor was dressed by extremely talented and skillful people, who are experts in dressing actors up in costumes, very carefully designed for that specific character/actor in that particular setting and it's timeframe. Furthermore actors are trained to take on other people's personality in a convincing way. Of course it's the idea, that we should be able to relate to the portrayed persona and maybe even see ourselves reflected in the character. But nomatter how much I look like Clint in the mirror, I'm probably the only one who think so [huh]

Mickey85

New in Town
I think if you look good, you're going to look good in a hat - i.e. Eastwood, Redford, Pitt, etc. John Mayer? Not so much. But if he owns it? Sure, why not?

Honestly, I don't know exactly what I think about how I look while wearing a fedora, and honestly, I think I look best in my Akubra-style brown fedora, but I like the way they look, and I like wearing them. Otherwise? Who cares what others think? I certainly don't. I'm not going to go out wearing something that's foolish looking, and wearing a nice looking hat is never foolish.

Within the context of this discussion, I think maybe "confidence" instead of "attitude" would be a better choice of words. The majority of the members here know which styles of hats look good on them, so they wear them confidently without giving them a second thought. But someone who is new to hat wearing might be unsure about whether or not the hat they've chosen is right for them, and would probably lack the confidence of someone who knows they're wearing the right hat. As the saying goes, "Wear the hat, don't let the hat wear you."

That said, I think even the most confident person cannot get away with wearing a hat style that is completely wrong for them, or a hat that's simply ugly or silly. Brad Pitt's a good-looking guy, but even he wouldn't look good in a lime green fedora with a hot pink ribbon and a neon orange feather.

TOuten2

Familiar Face
I think you're right about "confidence" being the better description. When I think of someone with attitude, I think of negative intentions, confidence brings to mind positive intent.

Tim

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I bagged this "vintage" flat cap off a bidding site last Summer. It looked a lot different in the pictures that were posted. When I received it, this is how it really looked! I'm sorry, but no amount of attitude or confidence is going to make this cap look any better! Although I did get an attitude when I first put it on, and I have confidence that I'll never wear this thing again!...

f16r.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael