Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Right Slip

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello Ladies,
I've been searching around a while now through threads and threads about under-garments. I have found lots of useful information on girdles, corsets, FF nylons, cinchers, tap pants, just a ton of great information.
However, I have a question about buying a slip.
About a year ago, I bought 2 great vintage slips from a seller on e-bay, but I can't find her any more. I have a few dresses that are just too sheer to get away with not wearing a slip, and am looking for some in a few different colors. I am in need of both one piece and two piece, hopefully with the matching cami.
So, where do you ladies buy your slips. I don't mind if they are modern, I do want them to be pretty, but not too lacy for I don't want the lace to show through some of my sheerer dresses. When you ladies where your foundations, do you put a slip on over your corset/garter/cincher?
A lot of the links that I have found in the sites that talk about corsets and girdles don't have a big selection of slips. So, for those of you who where them, where are you buying them? I know I need them for my sheerer dresses, but did ladies in the golden era always wear a slip, or did they just wear their corsets and garters under dresses or suits that weren't that sheer?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions and links,
Daisy

Honey Doll

Practically Family
I used to be able to pick up loads of slips at the thrift, but haven't been able to find any that way in a dog's age. I actually was on line this morning looking for a new source as well! JCPenny had some nice enough, washable and new for about $20. Think I might pop in the next time I am at the mall and see what they have.

I typically do wear a waist cincher. If I am wearing a suit jacket that I do not intend to unbutton and do not want to show a blouse collar, I will wear a full slip under it. If I intend to wear a suit with a blouse, I may wear a half slip or none depending on the skirt lining. If I wear a dress, a slip finishes the look and smooths the line of the waist cincher and stockings.

Honey Doll

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Hi Daisy,
I found the majority of mine at vintage stores and thrifting.Rarely,have I found a camisole though.I've noticed that you can still find some at department stores such as JCPenney,but I wasn't keen on the fabric.Victoria's Secret had a line ages ago that had slips(full and half),camis,and tap pants that I really wish I had stocked up on.The fabrics and colors actually met my approval.I still peek in every once in a while hoping they'll bring it back.

Daisy Buchanan

Thanks RubyRedLocks and Honeydoll.
I'm gonna check out JCPenney. I wish I could find the seller on ebay that I bought my slips from last year. They were perfect vintage, still in the package, and a really good price. I usually bookmark the sellers that I like, but I guess this one passed me by. I've searched and searched on ebay for her, but to no avail:(

Elaina

One Too Many
Because of my health, I have to wear a corset, and I wear the old victorian corset covers: one like a sun top under it and a buttoned one over it to hide the lines (mostly matching the outfit so if it does ever show it's the same color), then I wear either a half slip over that, or forgo the outer corset cover and wear a cami over it, if the buttons would show through.

I make my own slips, almost all my full slips are modified 1920's styles (fittied slips and modifing them to a corset with the huge uni-boob isn't always easy), save for one of them which is fitted to a merry widow, but mostly because I have weird tastes in those kind of things. (I find alot of cutsey fabric that I love but otherwise wouldn't wear). The one and only plain jane white one I own, I got from Dillard's, which is the Southern equalivent of Younker's up North, or Nordstrom and Macy's usually carry a decent mix of them.

Something always covers my corset so my clothing doesn't wear out. Depeinding on the blouse, I often don't wear one with a bra when I do wear them, but that's a bad habit. I've also seen quite a few at Mervyn's too. J.C. Penney's IMO aren't quite up to regular wear, but I'm not overly fond of that store as it is.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I wear the J. C. Penney slips most every day, and they're pretty much just generic slips -- not especially fancy, but not too chintzy either. They do what a slip's supposed to do, and that's about it. The only problem I've had with them is that the little adjustment sliders on the straps tend to slip down over the course of the day and I might have to discreetly reach in and hike them back up.

They are *not* inexpensive -- about $20 apiece, but at least they've usually got a good selection of sizes and lengths.

The supply of $1 vintage slips at Goodwill dried up around here about five years ago -- very frustrating!

BegintheBeguine

I buy all of my slips at the Salvation Army. It is difficult NOT to find a good one there, so I of course have several ;) . I don't even have to buy recent ones, they are all vintage.
When my sis was looking for a slip at JC Penney in Greece Ridge Mall, to wear with a dress for our dad's memorial service, the clerk told her snottily "Oh those are only in the catalog." Hmm. Sis ended up wearing something lined, didn't want to borrow one of mine after all.
I always wear a slip with something unlined, even in summer. Especially in summer!

Daisy Buchanan

Honey Doll said:
Thank you! Those seem to be the slips I keep running into. I also found another very pretty one with some lace trim that is reasonably priced. I can't believe it is so difficult to find a pretty slip! Farr West makes some beautiful ones, but they are just too expensive. I'm gonna stick with HerRoom and National. I've ordered from them in the past, and have had good experience. I looked in Macy's over the weekend, and found a few that I liked that were on sale, but they didn't have my size, and I couldn't find a sales girl to help me. I have to go back to the mall with the Macy's in it this coming Thursday, so I'm gonna check to see if they put any more out.
As for the Salvation Army store, I actually don't have one near me. I wish I did. I've heard about some great finds from there.
I'm still kicking myself for not saving the name of the ebay seller from whom I bought my other two vintage slips from:(

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Frishman's also sells a decent variety of slips.

http://www.frish.com

And, suprisingly enough, I found a full slip at Kmart a couple of weeks ago. Ten dollars, and it doesn't feel inferior to another nylon slip I bought for twice the price.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Here's another suggestion...

Here's another place for slips.

http://www.shopnational.com/list.cfm/wcma/30/wc/302500

And I saw they had camisoles on their website too. Their stuff is pretty good and the prices are reasonable.

I'm still finding slips/camisoles in the thrift stores in my area. I'm trying to snag up as many as I can because I know they'll soon be gone. But I figure a lady can't have too many slips, can she?

Miss_Bella_Hell

Daisy - did you check Bobby from Boston's? I bet you did!

Are you familiar with Urban Renewals on Brighton Ave? It's right by the whitehorse. They often have vintage slips...and tons of great stuff.

Also, the Salvation Army in Quincy usually had tons of slips.

Daisy Buchanan

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Daisy - did you check Bobby from Boston's? I bet you did!

Are you familiar with Urban Renewals on Brighton Ave? It's right by the whitehorse. They often have vintage slips...and tons of great stuff.

Also, the Salvation Army in Quincy usually had tons of slips.
I have gone into Urban Renewals. I just never find anything in there. I managed to find a few slips on-line. They're not vintage, but they'll get the job done.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I like buying my slips at either Mervyn's or Target.
Since we're on the subject of slips...I'm having a dress made for the QM, but I need a slip that will make the skirt of the dress *poof*, any suggestions?

Daisy Buchanan

I was surprised that Target didn't have any slips online.
I'm gonna check out their store. Sometimes they have different products than online. I have had a lot of luck with buying sleepwear there. They have some very pretty nighties that have a vintage flair to them. If they are in the right color, and fitted enough, I might be able to use one of them as a slip.
I did a bunch of different searches on ebay today, and was pleasantly surprised to find quite a few vintage slips in a few different ebay stores. I had much better luck finding white and off white, than black. But the prices were great. I got a beautiful white and lace trimmed slip from the 40's supposedly for the buy it now price of $6.99. I ended up buying three slips from one seller. I just couldn't pick one, and they were all so low priced.
I did end up buying an off white and a black slip from a store that I found on line. They are modern, but very pretty, which is what I wanted. They were more expensive than the ones I found on ebay, but still really reasonable. I think the most expensive one was $20! The off white one I bought was only $12.50.
I guess I went a bit overboard. For the past year I've only had 2 slips. Both are vintage, one cream one black. Both are the same style, and are kind of boring. I really wanted to buy something that was a little prettier than what I had. Ones that would compliment the corset or garter that I'd be wearing underneath them. I think I succeeded. I really didn't need to buy as many as I did, but at least I'll be set for a while. I'm surprised at the amount of searching I had to do to find them, but it was well worth it given the prices I got for them.
In my searches on ebay for vintage slips, I came across a few stores that sold some very pretty pegnoir sets, at least I think that's what they are called. I have a few dressing gowns, but I don't have any vintage sleep wear. I don't know how many of you wear nighties to sleep in. I usually sleep in silky PJ pants and camisoles. They are just so comfortable to sleep in. But now that I've seen all of these pretty, quite glamorous night sets with matching robes, I really want to invest in a few. I just don't know how Hemingway Jones would feel about his female roommate lounging around the house in a glamorous silky night set! Just as long as he knows that I'm wearing them for me an only me. It just makes me feel good to wear something pretty to sleep in. Especially after spending 10 day's in the hospital, wearing a horrible blue cotton open back sheet type thing. I bring my own cotton pj pant and long sleeved shirt sets. But this time I had a PIC line in my arm (a very large IV with 2 tubes hanging from it), and 2 small IV's in my other arm, so for access purposes they wouldn't let me wear my own PJ's :( I've been in bed since I got home a little less than a week ago, so most day's I'm in sweats and t-shirts. It's hard to feel pretty when I'm dressed so sloppy. Tonight I'll wear my pretty soft pink satin PJ pant and tank. Maybe this will raise my spirits.
OK, sorry for the tangent. I was just wondering how many of you ladies wear pretty pajamas to sleep in. I don't think these should only be for ladies with a boyfriend or a husband in your life. I'm single, but I still love to wear my pretty PJ's. I'm gonna be traveling with Hemingway Jones for the next 2 weeks in Italy. And I have all my pretty PJ's packed and ready. I'm sticking with the pants or short sets, not like there would be any chance of giving him the wrong idea! But hey, if I'm staying in four star hotels, I want to look pretty doing it!
Well, I'm gonna check out Target for a few more PJ sets, and just to see if they do have slips in the store, although I really don't need any more.
Thanks to all of you for the great advice and links. The PM's I got were incredibly helpful too!!!
Well, I managed to change this thread from slips to PJ's, but they are on kind of the same level. How many of you feel better when you're sleeping in something pretty? I think, in my case, I might actually get a better night's sleep with a freshly washed face, minty teeth, a fresh coat of brown sugar lotion on my legs, hands, feet, Ahava skin toner under my eyes, and a pretty pair of PJ's.
Sweet Dreams,
Daisy

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think having something nice to sleep in is one of the best ways to lift one's spirits there is -- when I was in the hospital a couple years back, I made a point of taking a cute nightie with me, and as soon as I could I got rid of the hospital gown and put it on. Definitely helped me feel like less of a patient and more like myself!

Rosie

One Too Many
I have some peignoir sets. If you have steps in your home, it feels so great when you're going down the steps and the robe part billows out around you, feels so glamourous. Most of the time, I sleep in night gowns or silky pjs. The vintage ones on eBay are REALLY nice, especially those made by Olga but unfortunately, the plus size ones can get WAYYYYYY up there in price. I've found some really nice vintage-y flair ones on Lane Bryant and Roamans and a sub-division of LB, Woman Within (which by the way will be LB's catalog's new name in the beginning of next year). I realize that doesn't help you much though since those place are for bigger gals.

Irena

One of the Regulars
Do any of you ladies make your own slips? I know Elaina mentioned making her own, and I was wondering if there are any tricks or guidelines to follow (with the fabrics). I am thinking about making myself a slip from flannel for the winter. Is this practical?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner