Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Shadow

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
Hi,

I had asked this question originally in my police uniform thread over at the "Golden Age" forums, but I didn't get any replies. So since it's a coat question I decided to move it here. :)
Does anybody know what coat Alec Baldwin wears under his cape when he's the Shadow in the 1994 movie? It seems to be thicker than just a trench, but has a similar collar. Thanks in advance.

Small Town Girl

One of the Regulars
I haven't seen that movie in years so I really can't help you, but I love that movie! I was hoping that by adding another post to this thread it will get more views and more help for you.SPEAK UP, GUYS!!!!:)

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
Hey Small Town Girl. That's really nice of you. Thanks.
Yes, I like that film too. Really nice and moody period piece.
Hope somebody will chime in.
Thanks again for the support Small Town Girl.

Edward

Bartender
Thought some pictures might help:

Alec Baldwin-

shadowmovie.jpg

What appears to be a very accurate figurine based on Alec Baldwin's look-

web_shadow.jpg

It looks to me like something of a mongrel in design. I agree it's light looking; it would put me in mind of a black wool trenchcoat type material, though it has the makings of what (thanks to some knowledgeable folks on this website) I now know to be an Ulster. An Ulster traditionally was very heavy, though. Also, the Shadow coat appears to have that little caplet. Hmmn.... It looks like there's an element of a traditional 18th Century coachman's coat in it too - link prevented, but see the one here:

http://www.thedarkangel.co.uk/catalogue3.php?pic=1&p=73

Probably a hybrid of designs, with some element of period detailing a la the Sky Captain flying jacket.

As a side note, while looking for photos I read on http://www.dialbforburbank.com/archives/report4/ that there is another Shadow film in the works, and it has Sam Raimi's name attached to it (albeit not to direct as of yet), which is promising. I only saw it the once, but I rather enjoyed the 1994 version - saw it in the cinema back in the day. I hope the new version is more successful as I'd like to see a Shadow franchise, and I think Raimi being involved would really help it both artistically and commercially (bearing in mind the success of his Spiderman involvement).

Starius

Practically Family
I've been wanting to post here because I recently saw a website that features custom made outfits based on movies, and it featured a Shadow coat/outfit on one of the pages. I can't for the life of me find this website right now, though I know I got the original link from some other thread here in the FL.

Edward

Bartender
Some nice looking stuff on there - I'm sure the Deckard coat would interest some on these forums.

I like the looks of that Shadow coat a lot..... no space in the wardrobe / cash for it at the minute, but maybe in a year or two when I need another overcoat, I might go for something like that....

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
Great link Starius. Thanks!
So it's just a custom? Or is it actually a proper garment model/style? I don't need the exact coat. Is there a name for that type of coat?
Great link indeed. Great reference pictures.

Edward, very nice reference pictures and links. Thanks.
Yes, I'm also looking forward to Raimi's Shadow but somehow I have the feeling they may try a modern take this time, which would of course destroy the whole thing. I haven't heard anything, it's just that I have this feeling, because when Hollywood was talking about another Phantom movie they wanted to set it in modern day. But maybe not since Raimi is a die-hard shadow fan.

Thanks for the continuous support and the warm welcoming Small Town Girl.

Jovan, just hilarious.

Edward

Bartender
retrofashion said:
Edward, very nice reference pictures and links. Thanks.
Yes, I'm also looking forward to Raimi's Shadow but somehow I have the feeling they may try a modern take this time, which would of course destroy the whole thing. I haven't heard anything, it's just that I have this feeling, because when Hollywood was talking about another Phantom movie they wanted to set it in modern day. But maybe not since Raimi is a die-hard shadow fan.

Glad they're helpful. I'm not a fan at all of this hollywood tradition of updating everything to fit the present day. What I'd love to see would be all the bonds remade true to the books and set in the original period. Would be interesting to see if they could spin it so that it wasn't odd now to have it set in the cold war.... The other place I see this sort of constant revisionism is in long running comic books. How old should Peter Parker not be by now, for instance - yet in most cases, he's still portrayed as in his 20s, I think. So it's not odd that Raimi updated Spiderman (and changed the story somewhat - a genetically engineered spider instead of a radioactive one, for example.... I've also seen version of the Spiderman universe where the Daily Bugle as a newspaper was replaced by a television news station). Anyhow.... Raimi is such a fanboy (in the very best sense), and a fan of the Shadow, that I can see him keeping it period. After all, AFAIK the Shadow wasn't something that kept going for years on end and being updated for each generation, so there only is the old school version. They could attmept to update that, but it seems to me that were they to modernise, the danger is that it would end up looking like a bit of a rip off of Batman - it's period setting, IMO, helps to keep it away from that.

Jovan

Suspended
Edward said:
Some nice looking stuff on there - I'm sure the Deckard coat would interest some on these forums.
Someone ordered one, I believe, for his Hallowe'en costume. Him and his belle are going as Rick Deckard and Rachel. Haven't seen an update about it yet, but I am curious at how well it worked out.

For the Shadow coat, I would recommend someone got it in their 10-11oz "Pure New Wool" so it would drape and wear better. Probably up the cost, but be worth it.

As a side note... damn. Baldwin is UNRECOGNIZABLE as The Shadow. A credit to the costume/makeup designers.

The real Henry

Practically Family
To me it looks like a typical 1930s DB wool coat, but with a shawl collar.

I was lucky enough to get a vintage taylored coat for a bargain. It looks very much like the coat in the film, but with a trench coat collar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran