Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Top Ten Fedora Brands

Jake Sullivan

One of the Regulars
Ladies and Gentleman

I would like to draw from your wealth of knowledge in the fedora realm. I will pose the question; " What are the top ten fedora brand names ( in order) past or present?

Please include your rationale if you choose to. I will be of no help due to my inexperience but I hope it should turn into a decent discussion.

I admit I will be using your advice for future purchases.

Sincerely Jake

Magus

Practically Family
Hey ya Jake,

I don't know how others will answer...but I will speak from the hats I ahve personally owned only...rather than "what I've noticed people saying".

I would say that Vintage Borsolino's 50's and earlier may well be at the top of the list.
However I have a 30's Stetson and though it isn't as soft as the Borsa I had...It is every bit its equal.
Vintage Lee's would be way up there.
I like a vintage (40's) hat made in Paris..Lucian de Brebant et Frers. Its a heavy felt hat but lucious. Sometimes "off brands" were very well done.
I enjoy Stingy hats a lot and would place Adam brand way up.
Champ was a lower end hat but the ones I have seem to stand the test of time.

My two cents..

M

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'll throw in my nickel's worth,

I have to agree that in terms of vintage hats, the Borsalino's are without peer. There are lot of good looking lids out there and many that I would like to own, brand be damned. I've looked at Peterson's in Fort Worth, TX and they are certainly a fine product too. If I had my wish, I'd own one of each and then try to make up my mind which is best of the best! A man can dream, can't he? -dixon cannon

Vintage top tens?:
Borsalino
Cavanagh
Knox
Dunlap
Dobbs
Disney
Stetson
Resistol
Mallory
Portis
Lee
It is hard to say the correct order of these but I am comfortable with having Borsalino at the top. I also had to list eleven because they all needed mentioning. Some of them actually tie for their spots as well. Knox and Dunlap eventually became the same company and most of these hats are comparable for sure. Cavanagh had to get in at second place because the Cavanagh Edge has to be one of the best hat innovations that is still unequalled today. Their felt is also dense and quite durable.
It is really all about the quality of the felt, fit of the accoutrements, quality of the accoutrements, and the finish.
All of these brands had varying grades of hat. This showed in the quality of the accoutrements and the finish. Higher grade hats were finished by master hatters---not on an assembly line. You have to compare apples to apples to get an accurate evaluation.
Dobbs, Disney, Stetson, Mallory, Portis and Lee were all quality hats of the time. You could go from a $7.50 hat on up to the top of the line $100 luxury hat with a fine roan leather sweatband, silk liner and top quality finishing. All of these felts were supple, water proof, the color didn't run, taper was kept to a bare minimum and they had style. Portis had quite a rake from front to back on most of their hats. I don't think I have one that didn't drop at least an inch from front to back. I like a nice rake because it helps break up that coffee can crown look. ;)
One I didn't mention is Crofut and Knapp. They were a top quality firm but it is not very likely that you are going to find one of these hats in your meanderings. I have a few times and I buy them when I do. We know Cavanagh came from Crofut and Knapp to form his own company later so C & K were pivotal in hat development as a pioneering company that taught many hatters how to make a decent hat. I put Crofut and Knapp in the same category as Cavanagh, Knox and Dunlap.
I hope that gives you an idea on my vintage hat scale. :D

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24