Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Umbrella

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
How comes Scotch terrier and fox terrier dogs are so Golden Era? Or is this just my association? I gather the actual question is, why have they gone out of fashion.

That led me to check, because I thought both breeds were pretty popular. But I was surprised to learn that the Scottish Terrier is ranked 40th in registration, while the (wire) Fox Terrier is 78!
They are both great breeds. Maybe it's the coat upkeep?

Mycroft

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
They're angular, which is very Art Deco.

Greyhounds were popular too. They're streamlined -- as in Streamline Moderne.

Nice, lol shall we move this threat elseware or is Mr. Deckard ok with this? Anyhow, back to umbrellas, what should one look for in a good umbrella?

driven_247

New in Town
Cane umbrellas

Hi all,

I have a very old cane umbrella that I received as a promotion when I purchased a bottle of Polo cologne. It has just about reached the end of its lifespan... at least asthetically.

I've been looking for a replacement on ebay and the net, but I'm not quite finding what I'm looking for. I would like a wooden "crook" handle with something other than plain black nylon fabric. My fabric is a green and blue tartan plaid and is something other than nylon.

I found some nice ones online (although they are black) but the are over $300... too much for my budget. I think "Briggs" was the name.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Shawn

16_sparrows

Vendor

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you are looking for cane umbrellas it should not be to difficult. They are quite popular right now. The cheapest place to go right now is Wal-Mart. Under $10 and they have plaid ones as well as black. If you want more of an upper end model just head down to a trendy men's clothing store (think of a place that sell $1000 off the rack, brand name suits). You may not get the colour selection but they do have them. At least in Canada they do. Hope that helps.
Johnny

16_sparrows

Vendor
Zach R. said:
I just came in to post this topic earlier today to find it already here, its interesting how these interests pop up in different people around the same time.:p

Yes! I thought some FLers would be interested in Pare Umbrella's new designs and was going to make a new thread until I saw this post. It must be all the rain that's been going around.

driven_247

New in Town
Me pulling out my old and busted Polo umbrella in the rain yesterday is what prompted me to post this question. :D

Thanks for all the great info everyone!

moustache

Practically Family
Thanks

for this thread!! I'm now in the market for a well made umbrella.Looks like a wee bit of fun coming my way!!!

JD
Vancouver,Wa

Where an umbrella gets a delightful workout!!!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
In the Northwest, umbrellas are a must, or at least should be. I don't know if it is because it rains so much around here that the people seem to think they are immune to it, but, more often than not, I see people getting completely soaked when an umbrella would have kept them dry and a lot warmer!
Like Zemke Fan, I tend to buy the less expensive kind. This way, if it gets lost or ruined, it would not be that big of a deal.

moustache

Practically Family
Indeed!!

mysterygal said:
In the Northwest, umbrellas are a must, or at least should be. I don't know if it is because it rains so much around here that the people seem to think they are immune to it, but, more often than not, I see people getting completely soaked when an umbrella would have kept them dry and a lot warmer!
Like Zemke Fan, I tend to buy the less expensive kind. This way, if it gets lost or ruined, it would not be that big of a deal.

The NW is one of the most beautiful and WET places in the world.It rains quite a bit and yet,like mysterygal says,many do not use an umbrella or wear a hat.A travesty if you ask me!!! I certainly don't want to soak my Borsalino felts.But i have been using an inexpensive travel umbrella.The other night while in downtown Portland,during a downpour,i realised how small and unimpressive the thing was.My wife and i barely fit under the dome!!!
So now i have a mission to locate a well made umbrella!Preferably one with walking stick options. Yet,a model within the dastardly low finance range i'm presently in!!
I looked over the Brigg models online
http://swaineadeney.co.uk/
and what a splendid lineup!! But at the cost of a flight to London,i will have to pass for now.Maybe next time i visit the UK and my friends at The Handlebar Club!!

JD in Vancouver,Wa

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred