• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

The Villain

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by happyfilmluvguy, Sep 13, 2007.

1. In every movie, there is a protagonist and an antagonist. For the most part, the antagonist is the villian, but occasionally the villian is put as a protagonist. Peter Lorre in "M" was an antagonist turned protagonist.

The "anti-hero" as they are called, is usually a villainous character that the audience cheers for. For instance, Tony Montana from the film "Scarface" was an anti-hero.

I want to see EVERY villian, including the other type of villians above, named but to make it more interesting, ONE villian per person. Let them conquer the world!
  2. carter

carter I'll Lock Up

James Mason - The Prisoner of Zenda
  3. imoldfashioned

imoldfashioned My Mail is Forwarded Here

Claude Rains in The Adventures of Robin Hood.

I know a lot of people would go for Basil Rathbone in this movie, but I think Claude trumps him.

Marion: I'd do it again even if you killed me for it!
    Prince John: Prophetic speech my lady, for that is exactly what is going to happen to you.

He's so good!
  4. Ernst Stavro Blofeld (Eric Pohlmann, Donald Pleasence, Telly Savalas, Charles Gray, [uncredited]) from the Bond movies.
  5. Dr Doran

Dr Doran My Mail is Forwarded Here

AURIC GOLDFINGER. Gert Frobe. (Which name is cooler? The character or the actor? Hard to say.)
  6. Reno Smith

Robert Ryan in Bad Day at Black Rock, although Lee Marvin was just as good/bad in it.
  7. carter

carter I'll Lock Up

Great film! Spencer Tracey as the one-armed man. :)
  8. The Wolf

The Wolf Call Me a Cab

9. See my Avatar

I can't say he was an "anti-hero", but Robert Benchley's writing style was known as "anti-heroic". I know I always cheer when I read his works. :)

"There are some men here to flood the bed for skating." - one of Charles MacGregor's more successful ruses to wake the slumbering Benchley.
  10. Edward

Edward Bartender

I'm not sure whether I'd like to see it again as I don't think I'd enjoy it so much in retrospect, but alan Rickman totally stole the show as The Sherriff of Nottingham in 1992's Robin Hood: Prince of Theives. Remember "...and cancel Christmas!" :D

Edit: All others I mentioned deleted on re-reading the rules of the game! :eek:
  11. The great Robert Ryan as Joe Parkson in An Act of Violence.
    Van Heflin is a happily married WWII hero living in a small town until a stalking, threatening figure (Robert Ryan) from the past shows up and forces Heflin to flee his wife(Janet Leigh) and town.

See this film!
  12. Starius

Starius Practically Family

How come no one has mentioned Kirk Douglas as Cactus Jack Slade from the movie The Villain, yet?!
  13. carter

carter I'll Lock Up

That's Two for Robert Ryan.

Surely we haven't exhausted the plethora of Great Film Villians (Why does that word always look mispelled?) yet.

HFLG, Are you keeping track? When can we repost? May I suggest after a specific number (i..e. 10) of intervening posts where an actual name is posted?

14. ShortClara

ShortClara One Too Many

Yes! I was about to leave this same post! :) Love that silly movie...
  15. LadyStardust

LadyStardust Practically Family

Michael Corleone(Al Pacino) in The Godfather trilogy.
  16. The Devils

Father Barre, the Inquisitor and exorcist, in "The Devils", played by Michael Gothard, is one of the most chilling portrayals ever put on film. This film is hard to come by. It's the true story of a witch hunt, and judicial murder of a bishop (burned at the stake), that took place in France in 1624. Horrifying, appalling, instructive. There are apparently butchered version available. Try to see the original.
  17. Edward

Edward Bartender

I remember seeing that in a cinema in... I think Wales.... on a family holiday back in the early 80s. Must have been a kid's club type screening - I seem to remember it was paired with an episode of the Spiderman TV show, which at that point I don't think had been shown on TV in the UK. I remember finding the "Indian" with the glasses hilarious.
  18. One villian per person is the name of the game. :)

That way, it gives others a chance to name a villian that otherwise would have already been named.

How about a classic Walt Disney feature?

The evil queen in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs!

Frightening woman to a young child.

There are thousands of villians in the movies! I want to see them listed. :)
  19. Tony in Tarzana

Tony in Tarzana My Mail is Forwarded Here

Fred Mac Murray as Walter Neff in "Double Indemnity."

Kind of a regular Joe caught up in villainy, but he did make the choice.

I want his '38 Plymouth Coupe. Yeah, I know, it has a "face" only a mother could love, but I like it. :)
  20. We'll be on a beach earning twenty percent!

Alan Rickman as Hans Gruber in the first DIE HARD Film was an exquisit villian.

Drei und Dreizig, kom sofort!