Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The wool felt hat thread.

CharlieB

A-List Customer
I may have posted similar thoughts in another thread, so sorry if I'm being redundant.
Here are 3 of a small handful of my wools. The bowler is a top favorite of mine (Knutsen Bat Masterson), and the other two suffice when necessary: the John Bull topper is from Burgess Hats, and the good, stiff crown is complemented ;)by a rather flimsy brim that's hard to shape. The other is a Belfry Murino-- the crown is a little too tapered for my head, but it's very comfortable and I've never seen such a long napped, glossy finish on a wool before. I guess it's not quite as visible in the photo.
ggwwbatmastersonb.jpg
[/IMG]
burgesslowjohnbull.jpg
[/IMG]
belfrymurino2.jpg
[/IMG]

Nice hats. The John Bull really suits you well.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Very nice lid. The one I am wearing in my avatar is a Jaxon C-crown I ordered online about a month ago.

The pic was from my break-in wearing. I have one old woolie that is over 20 years old, and I still wear it when it is either really bad weather (it's actually a "Totes" rain hat, and does shed water well) or when it is hot (sits a little higher on my head).

I also have a Dorfman wool indie (all my hats are the crushable type). Maybe someday I'll pop for a fur felt, but I have not had a reason to complain about wools.

I too own a couple of the Jaxon C-crowns. I have one in grey (Has some green overtones in it almost like a bluegrass) and a Pecan one. They are great hats. They keep my head warm and dry in the winter.

Regards

Kirk H.

DRB

One Too Many
fml: I like your Sturgis so much that I bought one. Very nice. I plan to send it off to have a hat block made just like it so I can have the same style in beaver.
I have noticed that a majority of the western hats that I see and like are wool.

EFK1993

New in Town
Jaxon C-Crown

Does anybody have any views on the Jaxon C-Crown Crushable Fedora? I bought a Jaxon Crushable Fedora from Village Hat Shops and returned it because it honestly looked like a Cowboy Hat :( But anyway some thoughts on the C-Crown would be appreciated Thank You :)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Does anybody have any views on the Jaxon C-Crown Crushable Fedora? I bought a Jaxon Crushable Fedora from Village Hat Shops and returned it because it honestly looked like a Cowboy Hat :( But anyway some thoughts on the C-Crown would be appreciated Thank You :)
A hat with a brim UNDER 3" IS NOT a Cowboy Hat! Sounds like you were wanting something in the "Hipster" or Stingy style if you think this brim size is "Cowboy" like. As for the hat, it's a wool felt and as such will not take a lot of rain or rough wear and hold it's shape as well as a FUR FELT hat will. JMHO :)

m0nk

One Too Many
Well, not sure what kind of commentary you are fishing for, but if this is the hat you speak of, 2 1/4" is far from a "cowboy hat," it's actually a rather modest sized brim in the big scheme of things. It's a pretty typically shaped modern fedora with a pre-creased block shape.
I have to actually say that from the pictures, this looks like a great back-up for $36 and I'm tempted to get one of these, or the center-dent version. I have an old crushable that has a 2.75" brim and a thin leather band instead of the grosgrain ribbon and I don't even think that looks like a cowboy hat.

Kirk H.

One Too Many

Are you sure you did not get the Jazon Ford Fedora. That one has a larger brim and looks like an Austrailian Outback. The C-crown is a good inexpensive starter hat. I have had both the Jaxon C-crown and the Ford Fedora. Also as others have stated, they ate wool and will not take a lot of weather abuse bit will keep your head warm. The C-crown was my starter hat, but now I am wearing Alubras. Hope this helps.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
This was the Jaxon Crushable I was talking about http://www.villagehatshop.com/jaxon_ford_fedora_crushable.html I decided to trade it for a C-Crown http://www.villagehatshop.com/jaxon-c-crown-crushable-fedora.html hope I made the right choice

Interesting about the Ford hat. t's a dimensional brim but only the front extended. The back and sides are the same. Usually the front and back are the same and then the sides are narrower.

The C-crown is non-dimesional, and narrower all around. I love dimensioanl brims, so that's the way I would have gone, given the choice between these two hats. Let us see the C-crown on you when you get it.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
This was the Jaxon Crushable I was talking about http://www.villagehatshop.com/jaxon_ford_fedora_crushable.html I decided to trade it for a C-Crown http://www.villagehatshop.com/jaxon-c-crown-crushable-fedora.html hope I made the right choice

Yeah, you had the Ford Fedora. I found the same thing when I got mine. I was expecting a sorta Indy look but got an Outback look. I still have my C Crown and for some sentimental reasons I think I always will. On a side note I decided to practice brim trimming on the Ford and found that there is a nylon wire in the brim that gave it that outback shape.

masiaka

Familiar Face
Yeah, you had the Ford Fedora. I found the same thing when I got mine. I was expecting a sorta Indy look but got an Outback look. I still have my C Crown and for some sentimental reasons I think I always will. On a side note I decided to practice brim trimming on the Ford and found that there is a nylon wire in the brim that gave it that outback shape.
I did the same to a Stetson Jeremiah and found a nylon band in it, too. Without the nylon weighing down the brim of my hat it became a snap brim, but it also wrinkled so much that I didn't want to wear the hat anymore. Moral of the story, only cut fur felt hats.

Last edited:

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I did the same to a Stetson Jeremiah and found a nylon band in it, too. Without the nylon weighing down the brim of my hat it became a snap brim, but it also wrinkled so much that I didn't want to wear the hat anymore. Moral of the story, only cut fur felt hats.

Yes, I found that out too. I even tried some stiffener. It was good practice though

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Does anybody have and pictures of them wearing a C-Crwon?

Sorry, no pics, but I have had two wool felt C-crown shape hats ... a brown and a black ... and got a good amount of wear from them. They were a different brand name, but very similar to the Jaxon hats and I am familiar with Jaxon merchandise. I bought a fur felt Iconoclast and got a lot of use out of it.

I was really impressed ... until I discovered Akubra dress hats.

Anyway, in the wool realm ... the C-crown seems to me to be a good alternative because it's not really a stingy brim, but it's small enough that it retains a good shape.

This is a more casual looking hat, and yet I wore mine a lot with tweed sports coats and tie and they looked fine

I have since given mine away and they get worn a lot. They are still nice looking.

Again ... these were just shaped like the Jaxon C-crown.

I still wonder about getting one in the blue to go with jeans. I am still holding out hope that Akubra will introduce either the Fed IV or Squatter in blue ... sort of like the old blue Whippets!

Good luck,

Sam

Bingles

A-List Customer
I bought two wool felts from Salmagundi hats this season (made by STITCH hats). They are both GREAT hats - nice feel, good quality and I have received SO many compliments on them. I just make sure I don't wear them in the rain as a precaution. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic