Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

They've gone too far.

Geesie

Practically Family
rmrdaddy said:
Randy,
Sorry to hear of your frustration. The learing curve with a DE razor is pretty steep, and unfortunately habits from shaving with any of the "modern" shaving devices are not backwards compatible. To get a close shave with a lightweight plastic Fusion razor, you need to press it firmly against your face and slide. Do that with a DE and you'll strip off epidermis. If you don't have the time, patience, or inclination I can't say I blame you. I will say for myself that once you have your DE mojo working, the variety of products and the results are quite enjoyable.

It only took me about a week after someone showed me the right way to use a DE and I stopped looking back at the Mach 3.
I've been using a DE since January of this year and I have had fewer cuts and almost no razor burn. With the Mach 3, I was guaranteed to get razor burn if I shaved every day for a week.

byronic

One of the Regulars
I have a couple of vintage straight razors, but never had the guts to use them. Think I'll stick with the Fusion, I haven't managed to cut myself with it yet, and it does shave close, no rash either. :D

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Don't throw you multi-blade away yet!

I'm excited, all the components are in place and tomorrow I'm going to attempt my first straight razor shave. I've gotten tremendous information from the straightrazorplace forum and I hope not to be very nicked up this time tomorrow. But that said, I also picked up some new tips and techniques to get the best shave possible from the Mach 3 turbo. I now get a shave absolutely as close and smooth as the disposable straight edge my barber gives me. In a nut shell, steaming your face with a very hot towel for a minute and two shaves...one with the grain and one against gets me a cut throat shave and no bumps or bleeding. I know every mans whiskers and skin are different but if you are not wrapping a steaming hot towel on you face first you are fighting a loosing battle.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I also think age has something to do with shaving. I seem to have far fewer problems with razor burn and skin irritation since I passed the age of 40.

Could be my skills are improving, or my skin is getting tougher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails