Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thin ties...any thoughts?

Good thing he was a musician, else, according to the article, he shouldn't have worn it. How wide is this tie? I'd say 2" at most, which is pretty narrow even for narrow ties.

ricky1.png

Closeup shows it to be some sort of knit.

ricky2.png

Regards,

Jack

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
They don't work with everything, but they have their place. Like with anything else, there are good thin ties and bad thin ties. It's all about the pattern and cut. Here's a nice little red and black horizontally striped '60s number.
IMG_0224_edited.jpg
[/QUOTE]

CharlesB

Suspended
Skinny ties work great if the outfit is sleek or stream lined. If one is being bold then go with a more bold cut of the tie. The shape cut and knotting of a tie should always be used as the icing on the sartorial cake

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Senator Jack said:
Good thing he was a musician, else, according to the article, he shouldn't have worn it. How wide is this tie? I'd say 2" at most, which is pretty narrow even for narrow ties.

ricky1.png

Closeup shows it to be some sort of knit.

ricky2.png

Regards,

Jack

Jack how can you apply a current mag article of modern criticism to a vintage photo? You might as well post a painting of George Washington w/ a criticism of mens wigs & wooden dental work.

The ties signified one thing mid century, another in the `80s and yet another in the 21st century. Context changes..

Said it before and I'll say it again: I think reporting that only certain types of men can wear only certain garments is not doing the male population any great service. Same with the guys saying that only thin men can wear 60s narrow suits. The one thing I will say is that some colors don't always work with some complexions. I've rarely seen purple look good on a blond, for example.

Context changes simply because the 'nows' never want to learn anything from, nor know anything about, the 'thens'. The 'nows' really believe the universe came into existence when they made their grand entrance from the birth canal. I could understand a warning if some radically different concept in design came along that was specifically aimed toward the youth market, but the narrow tie has been around as long as the wide, if not longer; the wide versions were still cravats while the narrow was developed from the ribbon bow ties of the mid-19th century. And I think you can't claim something as being the realm of the 'young man' when it's been around that long and worn by men of all ages - especially if you're going to turn around and run an article on (as Esquire and GQ do) something a ridiculously childish as matching sneakers to a suit.

A fast pull from the internet. Recruiting tent 1914. Take a look at the tie on the gent on the left. What context has changed so much that any guy today can't have the same look?

800px-Men_at_the_recruiting_tent_1914.jpg

Regards,

Jack

Feraud

Bartender
Discussions like this always come down to style versus fashion.
Style is timeless, fashion is fleeting.

Senator Jack's point about "who can wear what style" is correct. I never believed heavy set men cannot wear the narrow brim/lapel/tie outfit and make it look great. Nor do I believe short, thin men have to avoid wide brim and/or jacket lapels. Knowing what looks good on you is different from following some arcane set of rules.

I own thin and wide ties and wear each as the mood suits me. To worry that "wide ties are not in" or bemoan the fact that narrow lapel suits are popular is pointless.

Fashion and trends deaden a man's abiliity to develop his own style.

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
Visions of Jake and Elwood

"Are you boys the Police?"

"No Ma'am, we're musicians."

Loved the movie, and Tony, you're wearing the look so well!

Ace Fedora

Familiar Face
I recently scored a small batch of ties off of eBay, which I bid on specifically to add some narrower (2-3") ties to my meager collection. And, I'll be honest, I was inspired by Mad Men. Imagine my horror to find that I'm merely following a trend... :)

Wearing one of my new ties today, and I think I look kinda sharp, if I do say so myself. I'll be sure to post pictures later.

theinterchange

One Too Many
I personally like thin ties when worn properly, not for the sake of being ironic. My favorite ties have always been on the skinny side. Naturally, I also prefer narrow lapels. ;)

Though, I have a FAT Kenneth Cole that's straight from the 70's. Matter of fact, I saw one exactly like it but the pattern goes the opposite direction on an episode of Emergency!, can't get more "authentic" 70's than that!

Randy

cptjeff

Practically Family
Widebrim said:
Okay, it's "tie-me" to bump this important thread! Here is a moderately-thin tie from the mid-'50s. It is pleated, and was made by Legath Cravats. (Sorry the photo didn't come out larger.)

th_CCF01082009_00002-1.jpg

Dang, that's amazing. I need to try and find a pleated tie or two.

I picked up a couple 50's narrow ties at a thrift shop not long ago, they're now my favorites. One black with a little icon on it similar to the one on your tie, one a striped tie made of of dark green, gray and black- wonderful look. Both 2 1/4", one silk, one 'dacron', whatever that is.

I find they match my face and body type much better then 'normal' ties, and as a result I find that I can wear them with most anything.

cptjeff said:
Dang, that's amazing. I need to try and find a pleated tie or two.

I picked up a couple 50's narrow ties at a thrift shop not long ago, they're now my favorites. One black with a little icon on it similar to the one on your tie, one a striped tie made of of dark green, gray and black- wonderful look. Both 2 1/4", one silk, one 'dacron', whatever that is.

Dacron was (is?) Dupont's trade name for their polyester fiber. There was a time when Dacron content was a strong selling point. It was touted as something of a modern miracle, at a time when modern miracles were all the rage.

I happen to have an early to mid-'60s suit that, according to a label on an interior pocket, is made of a mohair and Dacron blend called Troplite. I kinda dig it.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
tonyb said:
Dacron was (is?) Dupont's trade name for their polyester fiber. There was a time when Dacron content was a strong selling point. It was touted as something of a modern miracle, at a time when modern miracles were all the rage.

I happen to have an early to mid-'60s suit that, according to a label on an interior pocket, is made of a mohair and Dacron blend called Troplite. I kinda dig it.

I don't think Dacron is produced any longer. Dacron was introduced to the public in 1953; Kodel, Eastman Kodak's version, came out in 1958, and is harder to find. I have never hear of Troplite, though. What kind of texture does it resemble?

CircuitRider

One of the Regulars
Sir Dobbs said:
O but Mr. Belushi pulled it off.

That makes me feel better. I've been collecting them for several years from thrift stores. About 2" looks best on me. Especially like the ones with small diamonds and such. I wear a 17 shirt and like then because they don't feel as tight around the neck with the smaller knot. Look good with my stingy brim Stetson Ivy League. Bought a pair of Tortouse Ray-ban Clubmasters yesterday. I love them, but my 20 year old daughter said I looked like a serial killer, Oh well...lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace