Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thin ties...any thoughts?

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
P1040382.jpg

P1040383.jpg

Another great Haband! Acetate, I presume.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
What exactly happened to the thin tie anyway? At what point during the 1960s was the cutt-off from narrow to wide all of a sudden, as in the 1970s? How late into the '60s, or into the '70s were thin ties manufactured? I think this is an interesting period, as it is quite a large jump within the era's fashions. I do know it made a minor comeback in the 1980s, and I know they're trendy today as well, not sure for how much longer anyway.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
^^The Kipper (wide) tie made its debut in the UK in 1965, but really began to make itself known in the USA in '67. There was a short transition period here, though, when 1 1/2"-wide ties gave way to 3" ones, just before the 5" monstrosities appeared. By 1970, extremely-wide neckties were the thing to wear if you wanted to be in...Yes, thin ties came back about 1979, and were associated with New Wave music. They started getting wider again around 1985 or so. Even though Italian and French designers have been showcasing thinner ties now for a couple of years, and you do see them in fashion magazines, most of what you find in stores (even on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills) are still of the medium variety (3").

Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Very nice ties, Dinerman.

I own almost a dozen vintage narrow ties by now, and they comprise most of the ones I wear these days, being between 2 1/4" to 3" in width. I even have a couple of knit ties that are 2.5", but I also have a wide one of 3.5", which is harder to find in my experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo