Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thin ties...any thoughts?

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Boy, nobody else wants to post their thin ties?[huh]:eusa_doh:

Okay, here's recent thrift store find: c.late-'50s, 50-50 rayon/acetate. I love the colors and the design.

Photo31-1.jpg
Photo32.jpg

kools

Practically Family
Hi Mr. Brim,
I do have a bunch of thin ties, but rarely do they get any use. Most of my suits/sport coats are Bold Look era; the ties follow. When I get a chance I'll photograph some of the thin ones for you.

Dan'l

Practically Family
I posted some thin ties yesterday on the "Show us your ties" thread. Here are two more recent finds.

DSCN0017.jpg

The reddish one on the right is a Pierre Cardin 1930s collection and the blue/grey one on the left is a Lilly Dasche (I'm wearing it today)
Both have a paisley print.

I like the thin ties witht he right suit. I think that's been discussed here in the lounge before. Right now, however, I'm trying to collect some of the bold 40s ties to build up a collection.

Torpedo

One Too Many
WideBrim, I will take some pics when I have some time. The greater part of my ties are narrow, 2 1/2'' to 3'' wide, the bulk of my collection is late 50s or 60s, with a bunch of 30s too. I am of spare build myself, and I do not feel like fat ties do really suit me, hence my preference, and explains why I am not wearing many 40s ties. I buy the ties to wear, not just for collecting.

I find that the ties I wear less are the ones in both sides of the spectrum- either the skinnier or the fatter. The latter I wear more in winter, when I often wear a waistcoat, which leaves visible just the upper part of the tie. Of course this does not work with many of the 40s snazzy patterns, that need to be fully displayed. The former I keep to wear with matching skinny lapelled jackets.

Last edited:

kools

Practically Family
My first thin one ever...given to me by a regular who came to see my band perform as a gift. Nice gift, though interesting considering I always performed in big fat belly warmers.

P1040376.jpg

P1040377.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo