Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things I'm Sick of Hearing at Job Interviews...

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
I have a question for all you folks with HR experience (on either side of the table). I'm currently working in my first full-time job after graduating college a year and a half ago. I'm thinking about looking for a new one, and wanting to update my resume.

My old resume, the one I used to get this job after I had just graduated, listed experiences I'd had in leasdership with various on-campus groups, in an effort to demonstrate both leadership ability and well-roundedness.

Now that I'm more than a year removed from college, should I pare that in-college extracurricular stuff off my CV and just keep it to educational and work history? Would a potential employer care about anything I did in college?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Since college was only a year and a half ago, they might care. Activities that show you're a self-starter and a go-getter should stay on. Groups you joined for the price of membership can probably come off if they aren't related to your field.

koopkooper

Practically Family
My favorite question is "so how much money are you looking for"

I had this at my last interview, not an advertised job but one in which they were poaching me from competitors radio station. I added about 40,000 more than I am currently paid, I figure "you asked,I'll tell" To me that says we don't have a budget and are keen to get you here. Besides, I figure it's a bargaining process, bit like selling a car, add an extra five grand on top and go from there!

I do think it is a silly question, surely a company has some idea of how much they will pay you!

And just for the record, I haven't heard back from them!!!lol

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Paisley said:
"After spending the day doing technical work, I enjoy [drawing, dancing, whatever] as a way to unwind, (blah blah blah)." (Hey, it beats drinking or beating the dog.) Or just leave the creative interests off your resume. They may just be concerned that you'd rather be working at a more creative job.

I'd also look into a field with less competition. If you don't, you'll be beating your brains out.

SarahB I second this, the great thing about what I do is that there are not that many people doing it. In fact at my current work place there are no less than 3 people (out of a team of 7) who used to work at my first job, and a fourth who just left! The jobs themselves are not actually that few and far between either, I have found plenty to apply for over the years. Do you have a particular field you'd like to try to get into, like publishing or something? That's what I did, found a field I liked and applied for every entry level job I could find. I only had retail experience and a degree in English. Got into production, ended up in creative. As a creative person (people can tell from your hair, makeup, even your choice of smart skirt and top!) perhaps you *are* suited to something more creative, or even within the field?

Admin experience would serve you well in a marketing assistant role, production assistant, even maybe you could do temping and work your way into a company, that's what one of the creative planners here did, she's been here 4 years now! Or what about a junior buyer or publicity assistant. Just do job searches for "assistant" roles and see what comes up.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Orgetorix said:
I have a question for all you folks with HR experience (on either side of the table). I'm currently working in my first full-time job after graduating college a year and a half ago. I'm thinking about looking for a new one, and wanting to update my resume.

My old resume, the one I used to get this job after I had just graduated, listed experiences I'd had in leasdership with various on-campus groups, in an effort to demonstrate both leadership ability and well-roundedness.

Now that I'm more than a year removed from college, should I pare that in-college extracurricular stuff off my CV and just keep it to educational and work history? Would a potential employer care about anything I did in college?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I used to write resumes professionally and have also worked for HR firms. My opinion is yes, leave it on. Because it's still very recent, potential employers want to see what you've done in school as long as the experience or skill set is relevant to what you are seeking.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
I've actually been giving serious thought to *dumbing down* my resume, given that it seems to be scaring people off -- for some reason they're having a hard time understanding that someone with just a high school education is capable of accomplishing the things I've accomplished, and they're passing me over out of suspicion that I'm padding my resume. Of course, when I eliminate all those things, I don't have a whole lot else to put in their place.

So what to do? Keep tooting my horn, or mute it?

(Two weeks on from the last interview, and still haven't gotten thumbs up or down. The little doggie continues to jump.)

Reminds me of when I was interviewing for a position in the south, and I was asked "Why did you get so much schoolin'?"

One thing I would suggest if you haven't already dome this is to bring a copy or two of your listed accolades to your next interview if that's possible, attached to the copy of your printed resume. I don't think that would look defensive since I used to bring printed copies of letters of recommendation with me and it was always well received. Just a thought!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Fleur De Guerre said:
SarahB I second this, the great thing about what I do is that there are not that many people doing it. In fact at my current work place there are no less than 3 people (out of a team of 7) who used to work at my first job, and a fourth who just left! The jobs themselves are not actually that few and far between either, I have found plenty to apply for over the years. Do you have a particular field you'd like to try to get into, like publishing or something? That's what I did, found a field I liked and applied for every entry level job I could find. I only had retail experience and a degree in English. Got into production, ended up in creative. As a creative person (people can tell from your hair, makeup, even your choice of smart skirt and top!) perhaps you *are* suited to something more creative, or even within the field?

Admin experience would serve you well in a marketing assistant role, production assistant, even maybe you could do temping and work your way into a company, that's what one of the creative planners here did, she's been here 4 years now! Or what about a junior buyer or publicity assistant. Just do job searches for "assistant" roles and see what comes up.

The book The Millionaire Mind talks about avoiding the maddening crowds of competition and getting into a niche field that you are good at. If you can do that, your life will be a lot easier.

SarahB, if you are *really good and fast* at admin work (i.e., your spelling, punctuation, grammar, and computer skills are excellent), you could get a job in Denver handily. Over the past few years, we've hired a few admin types, and it was tough to find qualified candidates.

Jovan

Suspended
Fleur De Guerre said:

May I go slightly :eek:fftopic: for a second to say you look absolutely adorable in your avatar?

Trixie

One of the Regulars
My personal favorites all from one gem of a guy:

Do you have any diseases or illnesses that you're going to tell me about after I give you the job that will prevent you from coming into work for an extended period of time?

Say your child gets sick.....

Do you have a car? Does it work?

Would you have a problem travelling to Las Vegas with me? You could have your own room...if you'd like.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Those bring to mind the fertility bank interview scenes from "Way of the Gun".

Bdt - "I've never killed a man."

frazzled interviewer - "I didn't ask you that."

BdT - "You should."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters