Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things You Learn as an Old Car Driver

1930artdeco

Practically Family
This same argument is/has been going on on another forum I am a member of. Should we or should we not add seat belts to out Model A's. Obviously they did not come with seat belts at that time. But with the advent of faster cars, more of them and more stupid people they became a necessary evil. Some say to install them to keep people safe (and they do). They will most likely keep you in the car during a crash. Of course you will still hit the front windshield as a passenger and if your not lucky they may do other stuff as the car was never designed with them in mind.

But, with this discussion going on and the accident pictures I have seen, they actually hold up fairly well. I am impressed with the way the fold up on themselves in a wreck. And people survive, bruised and battered but survive. I still don't know if they actually will keep me safe or it is a false sense of security. But, going up against a modern car in a crash, I dunno.....

Mike

But, with this discussion going on and the accident pictures I have seen, they actually hold up fairly well. I am impressed with the way the fold up on themselves in a wreck. And people survive, bruised and battered but survive. I still don't know if they actually will keep me safe or it is a false sense of security. But, going up against a modern car in a crash, I dunno.....

Mike

Going up against a modern car, you will be fine unless your car has lots of wood in it like many used to have back then.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think the best approach to old-car safety is simple common sense. My car was built and designed at a time when the maximum speed limit in most of the country was 45 mph, on two-lane roads. And that's exactly how I drive it -- 45 mph on two-lane roads. I'd never risk it, or my neck, driving it on an Interstate where idiots are eeming in and out of three or four lanes at 75 or 80 mph while yapping on cellphones and eating Big Macs. I won't even drive my Toyota on those highways in that kind of traffic if I can help it.

There are idiots on the two-lanes, but if they don't like being stuck behind a 70 year old car putting along at 45mph, they can feel free to pass me. I always pull aisde if somebody honks or flips me off. (And if the latter, as soon as they're in front of me, I flip them back.)

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
... There are idiots on the two-lanes, but if they don't like being stuck behind a 70 year old car putting along at 45mph, they can feel free to pass me. I always pull aisde if somebody honks or flips me off. (And if the latter, as soon as they're in front of me, I flip them back.)

I had someone flip me off once. I flipped them off right back. They pulled over and so did I. They got out of their car and headed my way. I unfolded myself out of mine. They took a look at me, got back in their car, and quickly drove off. [huh]

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I think the best approach to old-car safety is simple common sense. My car was built and designed at a time when the maximum speed limit in most of the country was 45 mph, on two-lane roads. And that's exactly how I drive it -- 45 mph on two-lane roads. I'd never risk it, or my neck, driving it on an Interstate where idiots are eeming in and out of three or four lanes at 75 or 80 mph while yapping on cellphones and eating Big Macs. I won't even drive my Toyota on those highways in that kind of traffic if I can help it.

There are idiots on the two-lanes, but if they don't like being stuck behind a 70 year old car putting along at 45mph, they can feel free to pass me. I always pull aisde if somebody honks or flips me off. (And if the latter, as soon as they're in front of me, I flip them back.)

My '46 pickup still has the original straight 6. I did take it on the Interstate ...once.

I stayed on the middle lane & although the engine was straining to keep up with the flow,
I felt like I was driving backwards, everyone zooming by & waving...some would :clap::clap: at
my old truck.
while others waved with the middle finger...:mad2:

Now when I drive to small towns I usually stay on the access roads . These back-roads are
very pleasant & offer a nice view of the country side which I enjoy at the fast speed of 35 mph. :D

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
... Now when I drive to small towns I usually stay on the access roads . These back-roads are
very pleasant & offer a nice view of the country side which I enjoy at the fast speed of 35 mph. :D

I've heard before, that with old cars, you should not drive on roads built after your car was built. Makes sense to me. And, like 2jakes says, it sure does make for a pleasant drive.

... the best approach to old-car safety is simple common sense. ...

In certain circles, common sense is anything but common.

Rather than deny what the overwhelming body of evidence tells us -- that newer cars much more effectively protect their human occupants in collisions than the older cars did -- we ought just acknowledge, as you have, the realistic limitations of our vehicles.

I know for a dead certainty that I am much, much more vulnerable on a motorcycle than in just about any car. By remaining mindful of that I greatly increase my chances of coming through motorcycling adventures unscathed.

You can't drive the other guy's car for him, but you can assume he will do the wrong thing, and be prepared to react to it. There's no glory in dying in a car wreck, even if you did have the right of way.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
In certain circles, common sense is anything but common.

Rather than deny what the overwhelming body of evidence tells us -- that newer cars much more effectively protect their human occupants in collisions than the older cars did -- we ought just acknowledge, as you have, the realistic limitations of our vehicles.

I know for a dead certainty that I am much, much more vulnerable on a motorcycle than in just about any car. By remaining mindful of that I greatly increase my chances of coming through motorcycling adventures unscathed.

You can't drive the other guy's car for him, but you can assume he will do the wrong thing, and be prepared to react to it. There's no glory in dying in a car wreck, even if you did have the right of way.

In the 29 years of covering the "latest news" & seeing a fatality everyday.

2v1nomq.jpg

I may be kidding myself...but I like to believe that I 'm safer driving my all steel "tank" instead
of the modern-made vehicles with plastic chrome that are out there on the roads today :D

( I added my favorite truck to this image of when I went to cover a space shuttle landing. )

Oh man, I'd love to drive that old truck. And yes, I do believe you are kidding yourself.

I once owned a '47 Dodge school bus. Pre-war body style, with the bullet-shaped headlight housings and the side-opening hood. Flathead 6. Chugga-chugga. It was easily the least practical but most romantic vehicle I've ever owned, and I've owned many other romantic and impractical vehicles.

Your pickup is a whole 'nother matter. I could see actually driving it to the Safeway.

And you can lkeep believing the propaganda that keeps denying Physics. Those clown cars are perfectly safe. :rofl:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic