Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thinking about a tattoo, but is it what good girls did in the 1940's?

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
cynroux said:
3642239574_520262f49b.jpg

Is that the ever-lovely GrantFan you're inking? ;)

I, personally, would love to get a tattoo from someone as lovely as you, especially because you share an interest in/ understand the vintage lifestyle. I'd trust you a bit more than the guy who sees my hair in rolls and goes "oh, another rockabilly chick..."

I don't haven any ink yet, and plan on spending a great deal of time trying out/ thinking about what I will get done, but when I figure it out, I might have to make a trek to the Chesapeake to see you ;)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Here's what I think of tattoos, dressing vintage, and how it "ruins" my look :rolleyes: :

http://snapped-garters.blogspot.com/2009/07/vintage-tattoos.html

I wear 30s and 40s house dresses, do my hair in marcel waves, and all my tattoos are 20s and 30s-inspired. I plan to get more -- I already know what I want and they are both references to 1930s movies.

BTW -- My look ROCKS! Nothing "ruined" about it!! :D Nothing wrong with not wanting any tatts, but don't tell me me I'm "bad" or "ruined" because I have them. :deadhorse

crwritt

One Too Many
You gals can get all the tattoos you like, but if you ask most ladies who are now in their 70's they would tell you that visible tattoos on women of that generation would have been exceedingly rare. Even standard pierced ears were pretty uncommon.

Shirin

A-List Customer
I toy with the notion every now and then of getting a tattoo. But I am very thankful now I never did. I (am a Gemini) and change my mind A LOT! Something I wanted 15 years ago, would not mesh well with the person I am today. So I'm quite content knowing that I'll never have scar after having a tattoo removed.
That said, I enjoy very much seeing them on other people. I even flip through the tattoo magazines when I stop at Borders and gawk at all the lovely artistry. Amy Jeanne has some fabulous tattoos. I really like the 1920s lady heads on the back of her legs. Sometimes I draw on my feet just to shake the "I want a tattoo" feeling.:)

Mary

Practically Family
Amy Jeanne, I love your blog!:eusa_clap

Amy Jeanne said:
Here's what I think of tattoos, dressing vintage, and how it "ruins" my look :rolleyes: :

http://snapped-garters.blogspot.com/2009/07/vintage-tattoos.html

I wear 30s and 40s house dresses, do my hair in marcel waves, and all my tattoos are 20s and 30s-inspired. I plan to get more -- I already know what I want and they are both references to 1930s movies.

BTW -- My look ROCKS! Nothing "ruined" about it!! :D Nothing wrong with not wanting any tatts, but don't tell me me I'm "bad" or "ruined" because I have them. :deadhorse

djhatman

One of the Regulars
Miss 1940's said:
I have a problem,
I really want a tattoo, on either my wrist or ankle;I want a star or a vintage Pin up girl? But I have this whole Vintage Glamour Gal going on......I didnt see Rosalind Russell or Bette Davis with a Tattoo. I guess what I am trying to get at is, I think it would throw off my whole vintage Look. I am not rockabilly so yeah?
Like I tell every one who is thinking about getting a first tat. Get some henna done in that spot and see what you think in a few weeks with that. By the way I have 4.

cynroux

Familiar Face
Thank you so much MissWink, that was awfully sweet. :)

Maggie...you're absolutely right, I was fortunate enough to work with the funny and stunning GrantFan a few weeks ago. She's a DOLL and oh, that skin! I was honored. And anytime you think you'll be in the DC area, please look me up. I'm always up for lunch with a kindred spirit, whether you want a tattoo or not. :)

Amy Jeanne...you do, indeed, ROCK! You're proof that the person defines the look, not the other way around. And I LOVE those gals on your legs. They're beautiful!

And crwritt, you're absolutely correct. Tattooing, though it did occur more commonly than thought, was certainly not as readily displayed, especially when it was on a body of the fairer sex.

With the ever increasing popularity of "tattoo reality shows", tattooing is becoming respected with the general populace as the deeply personal art form it is. But it's still not for everyone. And I'm of the mind that, if you're hesitant, then wait. If you have any doubts, then go buy a nice piece of vintage jewelry instead. From an artists perspective, there's nothing more disheartening than working with someone who is overly nervous about body art and jittery because they're still worried about how it will look and the reactions it might incur. I prefer to make a lifelong visual memory for someone that is 100% sure this is a wanted addition to their permanent appearance, not a regret for someone who was following a trend.

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
Cynroux-

You are so talented! I took a look at your site and love your work. Sent you an email, but have a question for you as well.

Do you as an artist like to help create the tattoo or do you prefer when people bring you ideas?

I'm trying to visualize what I want for my next tattoo and I'm better at describing than drawing!

classylady

New in Town
I have a tattoo that i got done last year when i was seventeen.It took me more then a year to figure out which one was right for me.I don't regret getting it.I would show you gals a picture but my computers is acting up.

Spearmint

New in Town
I want to get tattooed, there are three things I want. However I probally will not be able to get one anytime soon since my nickel allergy wants to persit and many inks have said metal, I rather not have an allergic reaction to something under my skin anytime soon.

That being said. I don't think it detracts from a vintage look, it really is a matter of doig what makes you happy. Besides tattoes mixed with classy dress is more attractive than tattoos mixed a bikini top and short shorts anyday.

britishink

New in Town
Feast your eyes and ears on this, Ladies, I give you Professor George Burchett

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vh0e1CNxY7U&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vh0e1CNxY7U&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

"Show a leg"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner